The Rumours and Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jabba2

Oct 28, 2010
The Flyers should offer Sustr playing time this year to get him signed.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Would anybody else do Briere for Luongo? Canucks fans seem to like it, and I have plenty of faith in Luongo.

I know Briere has his NMC, but to contend for a Cup, I'm not sure if he wouldn't waive to go there. He was in Germany for half the year, so what's Vancouver?

Luongo instantly solves half our biggest problem, imo.

TheLegendkiller

Sep 2, 2009
Would anybody else do Briere for Luongo? Canucks fans seem to like it, and I have plenty of faith in Luongo.

I know Briere has his NMC, but to contend for a Cup, I'm not sure if he wouldn't waive to go there. He was in Germany for half the year, so what's Vancouver?

I don't...hate it. How long is his contract and cap hit?

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
I don't...hate it. How long is his contract and cap hit?

9 years left :laugh:

But a $5.3m cap hit isn't too bad!

See, I'm okay with term for a guy like Luongo. He's a top 10 goaltender in this league and has the pedigree to back it up. Bryz-- well, not so much.

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
i would take Luongo as well. I am frightened to think of what it would cost to land him as it doesnt take a rocket scientist to realize he would be a major upgrade to what we have now and the Canucks would probably want quite a bit.
Probably would need a stopgap backup until Stolarz was ready.

WeekendAtBernies

Jun 27, 2011
Philadelphia, PA

Do you really want to commit 9 years to a 34 year old goalie though? I think he's a very good goalie, but the length of that contract is so bad. With the new CBA, you couldn't even sign a multiple vezina winning 25 year old goalie to a 9 year contract.

How many long-term contracts to aging goalies have really worked out well for teams? I can't think of many. Brodeur comes to mind I guess, but for every 1 good one I can think of 4-5 bad ones and Brodeur is an all-world goalie, easily top 5 all-time.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Do you really want to commit 9 years to a 34 year old goalie though? I think he's a very good goalie, but the length of that contract is so bad. With the new CBA, you couldn't even sign a multiple vezina winning 25 year old goalie to a 9 year contract.

How many long-term contracts to aging goalies have really worked out well for teams? I can't think of many. Brodeur comes to mind I guess, but for every 1 good one I can think of 4-5 bad ones.

Normally, I'd agree. I'm the first to speak out on the riskiness of goaltending. Very few goaltenders are at the top with consistency. Luongo is one of those goaltenders, however. His save percentage has never been below 91.3, and I wouldn't bet on him being much different for the next few seasons.

I know he's turning 34, but he will retire as soon as he turns 40 and his contract goes from 6.7m -> 3.3m -> 1.7m. At a $5.3m cap hit, I'm not too concerned. His contract is essentially a 6yr deal. I'm not afraid of that-- I don't see how it could come back to bite us.

I'd take that risk, especially if the price to pay is Danny Briere.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I was wondering if there was something wrong with your post...

Then I realized what thread I was pousting in

Indeeud.

FleetwoodMac-Rumours-Front.jpg

WeekendAtBernies

Jun 27, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Any thoughts on offersheeting Rask @ around 6M? Compensation would "only" be a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in 2014. Boston is projected to have only ~7.5M in cap space and they need to fill a forward spot (replacing Horton), a defensive spot (replacing Ference), and both starting and backup goalie, so it could put them into a bit of difficulty.

If that doesn't float anyone's boat, you could potentially do a similar thing with the Rangers' precious and infinitely valuable Ryan McDonaugh. They're only going to have ~11M to resign McD, Stepan, and Hagelin. Plus they need another depth D and another depth forward. If you sheet McD for 6M, there's no way the Rangers are getting all of those other moves done w/ only ~5M. At best, you'd get McD for a couple future picks. At worst, you'd put the Rangers into some serious financial trouble and potentially force them to break-up Gaborik-Richards-Nash.

Either way that last one is a win-win IMO.

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Any thoughts on offersheeting Rask @ around 6M? Compensation would "only" be a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in 2014. Boston is projected to have only ~7.5M in cap space and they need to fill a forward spot (replacing Horton), a defensive spot (replacing Ference), and both starting and backup goalie, so it could put them into a bit of difficulty.

If that doesn't float anyone's boat, you could potentially do a similar thing with the Rangers' precious and infinitely valuable Ryan McDonaugh. They're only going to have ~11M to resign McD, Stepan, and Hagelin. Plus they need another depth D and another depth forward. If you sheet McD for 6M, there's no way the Rangers are getting all of those other moves done w/ only ~5M. At best, you'd get McD for a couple future picks. At worst, you'd put the Rangers into some serious financial trouble and potentially force them to break-up Gaborik-Richards-Nash.

Either way that last one is a win-win IMO.

they will have the cash if they buyout Richards or Gaborik.

Krishna

Jun 15, 2010
New Jersey
1. Just because you submit an offersheet doesn't mean they are going to sign. Seems like most players just use them as leverage without signing them.

2. Your numbers for boston are off a bit. They don't have Savard on LTIR yet so their space jumps to close to 14 million for Rask, possibly Horton, Caron, a D man or two, and a backup goalie. They really aren't in a tight spot just yet

3. Rangers have almost 11m to sign McDonagh, possibly Sauer, Hagelin, and Stepan. The rangers usually get their RFAs to sign bridge contracts for low amounts. They also have Kreider in the AHL and McIlrath waiting in the AHL. Not exactly a tough spot

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
What happens when we receive Luongo and he is a disappountment?

rinse, repeat, moveon.
we find another vet to sign.

I look forward to the day where the Flyers draft a goaltender develop him in junior/AHL and hes our starter for a dozen years plus. Maybe Stolarz is that guy. Then again he could have a rough first pro year and the Flyers trade him.
Cant go against the Flyers way of zero patience with anyone but young forwards.

OzFlyers

Registered Boozer
Jul 3, 2011
Australia

I was thinking the same thing. With Kessel out the Canucks are desperate for centers so Danny would be a good fit.

They are also playing Sestito on the fourth line so if we need to add perhaps Talbot or Rusty would get it done?

Krishna

Jun 15, 2010
New Jersey
I was thinking the same thing. With Kessel out the Canucks are desperate for centers so Danny would be a good fit.

They are also playing Sestito on the fourth line so if we need to add perhaps Talbot or Rusty would get it done?

Don't really think the canucks want Briere. What they need is a 2nd line center who is capable defensively, which we all know briere isn't. They've been rumored to be trying for Steve Ott or Derek Roy which imo is a better fit for the team than Briere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad