The ROR Beatification Station and Exclusion Zone (Discussion of ROR trade goes here!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Toronto has 3 forwards making more than Jack Eichel, bad example.

It's a perfect example.

Toronto top 6F = ~47m.

Sabres top 6F with Skinner & ROR = ~45m (I'm giving Reinhart 8m per).

That figure doesn't account for having to pay Olofsson either.

Toronto lost a first round pick to shed just one year of Marleau. Have to assume it costs even more than that to lose Okposo.

Toronto also don't have a Dahlin to pay.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Eh? You think the Skinner trade was bad?!

You can debate the extension (I didn't like it either) but the trade was hands down a 'win' for Botts.

I think it was a bad trade for the long term. Value-wise, for the the type of player he is, it was a win for Buffalo.

We did the trade FOR that extension, so the extension and the value of the extension needs to be included as well. Otherwise, trading Pu, and 3 quality draft picks for 1 season of Skinner is far from a win. How we handled that extension should be a part of the discussion. We struck out on every single aspect of that contract, especially with how bad the rest of the team is.

It's not the home run some people believe it is.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Have a spreadsheet

ROR and Skinner would have presented zero long term issues on the cap... even post Reinhart, Dahlin, etc extensions.

all it would've required was a semi competent manager....

It would require paying the rest of the team next to nothing.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Only truly 'successful' team listed there is Chicago - their big contracts were 3F & 2D - further proving my point.

Can you please let me know of the parameters you want to use when discussing 'successful teams' and 'loaded up their top 6' then next time?

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
I think it was a bad trade for the long term. Value-wise, for the the type of player he is, it was a win for Buffalo.

We did the trade FOR that extension, so the extension and the value of the extension needs to be included as well. Otherwise, trading Pu, and 3 quality draft picks for 1 season of Skinner is far from a win. How we handled that extension should be a part of the discussion. We struck out on every single aspect of that contract, especially with how bad the rest of the team is.

Disagree with the bolded, I would trade a 3rd and a middling prospect for a single 40 goal season every year.

In fact, every year we see contenders throw around bigger packages than this one at the deadline to acquire a rental for the last few weeks of the season and a shot at a cup run. The value of the trade is ridiculously good, irregardless of the extension.

Reactions: sabrebuild

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004

All fair points.

I didn't hate the Skinner extension but I don't like it either. I think JB was in a corner as far as negotiations were concerned. I guess it's fair to blame him for getting cornered in the first place...

I guess the point I'm ultimately trying to make here is that you have to factor Skinner in as part of the ROR return if dealing in common sense. It will never be a good trade... But if Skinner is a long term contributor to success (he NEEDS to be) , if TT & Johnson develop as hoped... the trade won't be bad either. Maybe I'm being overly optimistic.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Can you please let me know of the parameters you want to use when discussing 'successful teams' and 'loaded up their top 6' then next time?

Success = winning Stanley cups.

Everything else should ultimately be considered as failure.

Sorry but I thought this was a given...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille