The ROR Beatification Station and Exclusion Zone (Discussion of ROR trade goes here!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
On Spittin Chicklets, Doug Armstrong brought up that the deal needed to be done prior to July 1st due to the bonus ROR was owed. It proves that the Blues got at least a discount for getting the deal done in time. That being said, it doesn't really show that ownership needed him to be traded, just that if he was, Terry wanted it done prior to the bonus being paid.

Cool Terry...cool.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
On Spittin Chicklets, Doug Armstrong brought up that the deal needed to be done prior to July 1st due to the bonus ROR was owed. It proves that the Blues got at least a discount for getting the deal done in time. That being said, it doesn't really show that ownership needed him to be traded, just that if he was, Terry wanted it done prior to the bonus being paid.

Cool Terry...cool.

I've seen this posted literally thousands of times. Just out of curiosity,
  1. Has there ever been a case of an owner paying a large bonus in order to sweeten trade value? Not trying to be a jerk, I have literally never seen something like this happen, so I can't believe it's actually discussed here, it just doesn't seem like a feasible discussion point.
  2. Did Armstrong say that the bonus deadline affected what he was willing to give up?
The trade a was f***ing tire fire from hell, in our return; one guy mentally checked out and was one of the worst players in the league, another actually retired, the prospect looked lost, the draft pick while at one time looked like the top pick in the draft became literally the lowest value it possibly could, and the guy we traded away won the cup, playoff mvp, and the selke trophy in year #1.

I just don't get the tin foil hat stuff to make it look worse than it actually is, right now it's legitimately one of the worst trades of the last 30 years.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
  1. Has there ever been a case of an owner paying a large bonus in order to sweeten trade value? Not trying to be a jerk, I have literally never seen something like this happen, so I can't believe it's actually discussed here, it just doesn't seem like a feasible discussion point.
  2. Did Armstrong say that the bonus deadline affected what he was willing to give up?
Whether or not it affected what STL was willing to give up, it imposed a deadline, forcing him to take the best deal available at the time instead of simply waiting for something better. There's a reason he didn't accept that same offer a couple weeks earlier.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
The trade a was ****ing tire fire from hell, in our return; one guy mentally checked out and was one of the worst players in the league, another actually retired, the prospect looked lost, the draft pick while at one time looked like the top pick in the draft became literally the lowest value it possibly could, and the guy we traded away won the cup, playoff mvp, and the selke trophy in year #1.

I just don't get the tin foil hat stuff to make it look worse than it actually is, right now it's legitimately one of the worst trades of the last 30 years.

Yes.

In plain language said, "ROR was owed a $7.5 mil signing bonus on midnight July 1st. In any business you can't recoup that once it's paid. You couldn't trade on the 2nd and send Buffalo a check. So if the trade was going to happen, it had to happen before midnight.... We [Jason and I] both bend a little bit more [to get it done]. "

It doesn't get much clearer than that.

Edit: Start at the 69 minute mark of the audio.

Also, this is a brand new interview. So you didn't see this specifically referenced 1,000 times.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
The trade a was ****ing tire fire from hell, in our return; one guy mentally checked out and was one of the worst players in the league, another actually retired, the prospect looked lost, the draft pick while at one time looked like the top pick in the draft became literally the lowest value it possibly could, and the guy we traded away won the cup, playoff mvp, and the selke trophy in year #1.

It's akin to being paid in trade assets to take on a cap dump... we recently saw Washington give Colorado Grubauer, just so they would take Orpik and buy him out for them. Then Orpik returned.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
It's akin to being paid in trade assets to take on a cap dump... we recently saw Washington give Colorado Grubauer, just so they would take Orpik and buy him out for them. Then Orpik returned.

That's a fair example, although not exactly the same.

I still think it's silly to keep bringing this up. It's akin to reaching for the sake of piling on. As I said before, there's enough tangible evidence right in front us, there's just no need infer or assume additional aspects for more ammunition.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
The idea the bonus was so important just feels so demoralizing because it's the type of thing you would expect from a cheapskate slumlord owner like Golissano, Karmanos or Melnyk. Everything Pegula said when he first bought the team feels like it was a complete work, and in the end the bottom line is the important thing , not winning.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Cool, so if Armstrong is corroborating that the Sabres were operating under a deadline, we have more evidence that the owner is not actually willing to in his words "do whatever it takes" to win.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Cool, so if Armstrong is corroborating that the Sabres were operating under a deadline, we have more evidence that the owner is not actually willing to in his words "do whatever it takes" to win.
I have complete faith that the local media which specializes in sucking up to gain access will give the Pegulas the public hiding they've earned like Katz in Edmonton or Melnyk in Ottawa get on a daily basis.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
The idea the bonus was so important just feels so demoralizing because it's the type of thing you would expect from a cheapskate slumlord owner like Golissano, Karmanos or Melnyk. Everything Pegula said when he first bought the team feels like it was a complete work, and in the end the bottom line is the important thing , not winning.
I imagine almost a decade of losing in the embarrassing way the Sabres have kinda dulls some of that enthusiasm.

Personally, while the situation surrounding the ROR trade and the bonus doesn't inspire any confidence, I think Pegs backs off once the Sabres see even a little bit of real forward progress. It's kind of a catch 22 that Pegula would only stop micro-managing once they're successful, yet he's directly responsible for one of the biggest setbacks in recent history... but I believe the team can be successful without ROR, and that they'll find their way eventually. Krueger and a competent coaching staff hopefully being a big part of that.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Yes.

In plain language said, "ROR was owed a $7.5 mil signing bonus on midnight July 1st. In any business you can't recoup that once it's paid. You couldn't trade on the 2nd and send Buffalo a check. So if the trade was going to happen, it had to happen before midnight.... We [Jason and I] both bend a little bit more [to get it done]. "

It doesn't get much clearer than that.

Edit: Start at the 69 minute mark of the audio.

Also, this is a brand new interview. So you didn't see this specifically referenced 1,000 times.

With all due respect Mr. Armstrong.... I think Jason was the only one "bending" over this...

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
This trade now is probably the low point in my many years as being a Sabre fan. Just bad.
IMO, losing the co-caps was so much worse. You can argue ROR went on to do more than Briere and Drury (and in record time)... but I'm a lot more optimistic about today's Sabres team without ROR than I was about that team without the co-caps. That was a Cup contender falling apart at the seams, and the best is yet to come for today's group.

Reactions: PuckSim8

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I imagine almost a decade of losing in the embarrassing way the Sabres have kinda dulls some of that enthusiasm.

Personally, while the situation surrounding the ROR trade and the bonus doesn't inspire any confidence, I think Pegs backs off once the Sabres see even a little bit of real forward progress. It's kind of a catch 22 that Pegula would only stop micro-managing once they're successful, yet he's directly responsible for one of the biggest setbacks in recent history... but I believe the team can be successful without ROR, and that they'll find their way eventually. Krueger and a competent coaching staff hopefully being a big part of that.
He essentially forced a move that blew a hole in our roster that we now need a miracle to fill. So he crashes our team straight into a wall, but don't worry: if we show signs of recovering from the self inflicted disaster THEN the Pegulas will break open the biscuit tin.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
He essentially forced a move that blew a hole in our roster that we now need a miracle to fill. So he crashes our team straight into a wall, but don't worry: if we show signs of recovering from the self inflicted disaster THEN the Pegulas will break open the biscuit tin.
I'm not saying it's a good thing. Just that I feel the team can recover from it, and even a little forward momentum could see Pegula step back. That's why honestly it concerns me less knowing that Pegula had a hand in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad