The Rochester Americans 2015-2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
@kevinoDandC -

We have puck drop between the #Amerks and IceCaps in downtown #ROC.

IceCaps go up 1-0 just 2:15 in. Nikita Scherbak flies in on RW, circles behind the net, feeds left of slot. Charles Hudon empty net.

And then not long after the PP expires, the IceCaps go up 2-0. Charles Hudon his second of the game. #Amerks trail 2-0 at 4:19 of 2nd.

3-0 IceCaps over #Amerks. Mark McMillan's hustle negates an icing, and he then centers past Chad Ruhwedel. Jeremy Gregoire hammers in.

Gabriel Dumont pokes in a rebound after Linus Ullmark stopped Max Friberg on a breakway. #Amerks down 4-0 with 3:58 left in the 2nd.

Dan Catenacci gives the #Amerks faint hope with 54.5 seconds left in the 2nd. His goal trims IceCaps lead to 4-1.

Morgan Ellis whistles a shot past goalie Andrey Makarov from about 50 feet out. Referee didn't see it either. Review proves it was in.

Matt Donovan scores a power-play goal for the #Amerks. They trail St. John's 5-2. 8:54 left.

#Amerks aren't done yet. Eddie Pasquale leaves the near post and allows Jean Dupuy to tuck it in short side. 5-3, 9:58 left.

And now it's 5-4. Jerry D'Amigo with a wrister from the RW circle. 6:53 left. IceCaps goalie Eddie Pasquale has forgotten how to stop pucks.

Epic comeback or epic collapse? Or both. Dan Catenacci ties it, poking in a rebound with 4:43 left.

#Amerks will win. Chad Ruhwedel taps in the rebound. 4 seconds left. A 5-goal period. 5-1 deficit now a 6-5 lead.
Justin Bailey attacked with speed, danced around Brett Lernout, tried to set up Cole Schneider. Pass was blocked. Ruhwedel followed up.

An amazing comeback by the #Amerks. An epic collapse by St. John's. #Amerks win 6-5.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
St. John's IceCaps 5 at Rochester Americans 6 - Status - Final - Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - Blue Cross Arena.

St. John's 1 3 1 - 5
Rochester 0 1 5 - 6

1st Period-1, St. John's, Hudon 23 (Scherbak, Ward), 2:15. Penalties-Yogan Stj (delay of game - faceoff violation), 6:18; Nevins Rch (interference), 10:22; D'Amigo Rch (tripping), 13:06; Gregoire Stj (fighting), 16:21; Austin Rch (fighting), 16:21; Bozon Stj (double minor - high-sticking), 18:55.

2nd Period-2, St. John's, Hudon 24 (Scherbak, Didier), 4:19. 3, St. John's, Gregoire 5 (MacMillan, Joyaux), 14:24. 4, St. John's, Dumont 19 (Friberg, Holloway), 16:02. 5, Rochester, Catenacci 10 (D'Amigo, Donovan), 19:05. Penalties-No Penalties.

3rd Period-6, St. John's, Ellis 13 4:31. 7, Rochester, Donovan 8 (Robak, Bailey), 8:54 (PP). 8, Rochester, Dupuy 6 10:02. 9, Rochester, D'Amigo 12 (Robak, Bowman), 13:07. 10, Rochester, Catenacci 11 (Ellis, Donovan), 15:17. 11, Rochester, Ruhwedel 10 (O'Dell, Bailey), 19:56. Penalties-Dumont Stj (tripping), 7:30; Friberg Stj (roughing), 8:47; Catenacci Rch (roughing), 8:47; Didier Stj (hooking), 16:18; Didier Stj (interference), 19:17; Catenacci Rch (slashing), 19:17.

Shots on Goal-St. John's 7-12-6-25. Rochester 6-8-20-34. Power Play Opportunities-St. John's 0/2; Rochester 1/5.
Goalies-St. John's, Pasquale 10-9-0 (34 shots-28 saves). Rochester, Ullmark 10-10-0 (17 shots-13 saves); Makarov 7-7-1 (8 shots-7 saves).
Attendence-3,783. Referees-Fred Leblanc (30), Evgeny Romasko (39). Linesmen-Peter Feola (33), Derek Sylvester (76).

http://theahl.com/stats/text-game-report.php?game_id=1015649

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
3rd Period-7, Rochester, Donovan 8 (Robak, Bailey), 8:54 (PP). 8, Rochester, Dupuy 6 10:02. 9, Rochester, D'Amigo 12 (Robak, Bowman), 13:07.
10, Rochester, Catenacci 11 (Ellis, Donovan), 15:17. 11, Rochester, Ruhwedel 10 (O'Dell, Bailey), 19:56.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Bailey and Fasching competing for a roster spot and/or callups next year will be fun to watch.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Game Recap - Cunneyworth Sets Amerk Franchise Win Record In Dramatic Fashion - Wednesday, March 23 - Amerks.com

Rochester Americans Head Coach Randy Cunneyworth set the franchise record for the most coaching wins in the most dramatic of ways Wednesday night at The Blue Cross Arena, leading the Amerks to an incredible five-goal third-period comeback for a stunning 6-5 victory over the St. John’s IceCaps. Tonight’s win was the 338th career coaching victory for Cunneyworth in Rochester, moving him ahead of John Van Boxmeer, who led the Amerks to their fifth Calder Cup in 1987, for the most all-time in franchise history.

Facing a 5-1 deficit with 15:29 to play in the third period, the Amerks scored five straight unanswered goals, setting the stage for Chad Ruhwedel’s game-winner with only four seconds remaining in regulation. The win improves Rochester to 32-29-2-1 on the season heading into Friday’s rematch against the IceCaps.

Matt Donovan sparked the late game rally with a goal and added two assists for a three-point night while Dan Catenacci scored twice, including the game-tying goal. Colby Robak and Justin Bailey each recorded two assists while Jean Dupuy and Jerry D’Amigo scored 3:05 apart in the third period to round out the scoring. Linus Ullmark made 13 saves on 17 shots before being replaced by Andrey Makarov, who the earned the win and finished with seven saves in 23:49 of relief effort in what was his first game since January 2.

Charles Hudon provided a pair of goals for the IceCaps with Nikita Scherbak notching two assists behind a 28-save effort from goaltender Eddie Pasquale. Jeremy Gregoire, Gabriel Dumont and Morgan Ellis also scored in the loss for the IceCaps, who twice led by four goals at one point

Rest Of The Game Recap - http://www.amerks.com/recap/20160323

Game-Sheet - Amerks 6 IceCaps 5 - TheAHL.com - http://theahl.com/stats/official-game-report.php?game_id=1015649

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

They were done - toast - finished. Embarrassed on home ice in the midst of a playoff chase. The Rochester Americans found themselves in a 5-1 hole at 4:31 of the third period, after Morgan Ellis zipped a 50-foot shot past relief goalie Andrey Makarov. With less than 12 minutes to play they were still in that 5-1 crater.

But then a really crazy thing happened. Rather than pack it in and go home, as at least a few dozen fans had done on Wednesday night, the Amerks began to play hard and in sync for the first time all night, really. Which led to an even crazier happening - a comeback for the eternal memory banks. The Amerks scored five times in the final 11:06 - the last goal by Chad Ruhwedel with just 4 seconds remaining - and defeated the bewildered, shell-shocked St. John's IceCaps 6-5.

"Geez, we battled hard just to get back to even," Ruhwedel said, "but to win in regulation was pretty miraculous." Especially since, after 40 minutes, there wasn't one player and certainly no one within the coaching staff that believed a victory was possible. "For two periods it was pretty dismal," coach Randy Cunneyworth said. "Our bench was not alive. Our dressing room was not alive."

So what changed? Especially after Ellis pushed the St. John's lead to 5-1?

Other Game Notes - The Amerks trail Utica by five points, and Portland and Hartford by six.
Two of the four teams will end up with the final two playoff spots in the North Division.

Left winger William Carrier left the game in the third period after he crashed heavily into the end boards.
He tried to cut around defenseman Josiah Didier but lost an edge and couldn't brace for the impact.
It's an upper body injury - his playing status for Fridays game vs the IceCaps wasn't known late Wednesday night.

LaxSabre - Click on the link in the tweet for the rest of the article.

Last edited:

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
That was quite possibly the most entertaining hockey game i have ever witnessed. By the Ice Caps 5th goal, i had all but written off the team for the night. Then it's like they flipped a switch and kept potting goal after goal. By the time the score was 5-3, you could almost feel like something special was going to happen and I am glad that something special DID happen. I feel bad for all of the season ticket holders sitting around me, who left 8 minutes into the third :laugh:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
That was quite possibly the most entertaining hockey game i have ever witnessed. By the Ice Caps 5th goal, i had all but written off the team for the night. Then it's like they flipped a switch and kept potting goal after goal. By the time the score was 5-3, you could almost feel like something special was going to happen and I am glad that something special DID happen. I feel bad for all of the season ticket holders sitting around me, who left 8 minutes into the third :laugh:

I was at a Sabres-Leaf game back in the Briere-Drury era where the Sabres came back from something like 3-0 and 4-1 to win it and it just felt inevitable after second or third goal.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
I was at a Sabres-Leaf game back in the Briere-Drury era where the Sabres came back from something like 3-0 and 4-1 to win it and it just felt inevitable after second or third goal.

I remember watching that game on television. Same feeling of an almost impossible comeback. I think one of the best parts last night was that the crowd attendance was small, but it was the most engaged and loudest the crowd has been at an Amerks game in a long time. I can't imagine how electric the atmosphere/crowd was at the Leafs Sabres game.

I always hated leaving games early.

Yeah. I have always subscribed to the philosophy that you never leave a game early because anything can happen.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I remember watching that game on television. Same feeling of an almost impossible comeback. I think one of the best parts last night was that the crowd attendance was small, but it was the most engaged and loudest the crowd has been at an Amerks game in a long time. I can't imagine how electric the atmosphere/crowd was at the Leafs Sabres game.

Yeah. I have always subscribed to the philosophy that you never leave a game early because anything can happen.

People leaving games early is one of my biggest pet peeves. You pay all that money and take the time to get there and then you skip out early to "beat traffic" or whatever? I remember a Sabres-Bruins playoff game back in the Aud where we were down by a goal with just under three minutes left and people were heading out the doors. I was yelling at them "Nice fans! I hope you beat that traffic!" A few beers probably helped...
Oh - we didn't tie it up, but still.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
People leaving games early is one of my biggest pet peeves. You pay all that money and take the time to get there and then you skip out early to "beat traffic" or whatever? I remember a Sabres-Bruins playoff game back in the Aud where we were down by a goal with just under three minutes left and people were heading out the doors. I was yelling at them "Nice fans! I hope you beat that traffic!" A few beers probably helped...

I am with ya. I think i understand why these season ticket holders left: it's been a rough year, the team isn't consistent, and we were down 4 goals but still...

As the people behind us left, i told my wife "watch them miss an epic comeback." I was joking, but then....:laugh: Ya just never know what can happen.

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003

Ahhh the famous miller smashing his stick over the net game.

Those sabres teams sure loved playing about 20 minutes a game

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

@kevinoDandC -

#Amerks LW William Carrier is being examined by a doctor today. No update on his status. Upper body injury after slamming into end boards.

#Amerks RW Patrick Kaleta is good to go. He suffered a lower body injury on Sunday. Tim Schaller, Bobby Sanguinetti still out.

Disengage

Nov 11, 2007

I had a hard out last night, had to play men's league. That's my excuse for leaving.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

Game Preview - Second Of A Back To Back Homie With IceCaps - Friday, March 25 - Amerks.com

Tonight's Game - The Rochester Americans look to make it two straight over the St. John’s IceCaps tonight as the North Division rivals bring their season series to a close in the back-end of a two-game set at The Blue Cross Arena. The 7:05 pm ET matchup is the eighth and final meeting between the two teams this season and will be carried LIVE on FOX Sports 1280 AM Rochester. Tonight’s game will also be televised LIVE on Time Warner Cable Sports Channel 26 in Rochester and Time Warner Cable Sports Channel 323 in Buffalo.

Rest Of The Game Preview - http://www.amerks.com/preview/20160325

Brian Duff ‏@duffersabres - See you @AmerksHockey tonight in Roch and/or on #TWCSports as I'm filling in for @MikeCatalana #Amerks playoff push continues!!

@AmerksHockey - Good luck to @GeneseoHockey and @RITMHKY in their @NCAAIceHockey Tournaments this weekend!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad