News Article: The Return of John Davidson (Dispatch confirms JD returning as President)

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
So you think returning him but without a C is a good idea? Are you serious? I wouldn't want to be the new captain in that situation; that would be awkward to say the least. That's a recipe for disaster.

I understand what you are saying; with all the youngsters on board there will be room for a veteran presence on the team next year who will not be the captain but I'm just saying that person should not be Nick Foligno. Hopefully that guy will stick around longer than Mikko Koivu did lol.

Possibly. I said if the situation is right. I won't and don't claim to know what he wants to do for the rest of his career but I'm not going to discount the possibilities. Say he wins a cup with Toronto and then wants to come back here and bring the experience he learned there back to this team at a good price. Do you want to completely discount that?

As long as both sides are open and honest with what they want it and it matches it could feasibly work. The same could be said for JD because it is the topic of discussion. Is it likely he returns? No. Would I welcome him back if it was the right situation? Absolutely.

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
Possibly. I said if the situation is right. I won't and don't claim to know what he wants to do for the rest of his career but I'm not going to discount the possibilities. Say he wins a cup with Toronto and then wants to come back here and bring the experience he learned there back to this team at a good price. Do you want to completely discount that?

As long as both sides are open and honest with what they want it and it matches it could feasibly work. The same could be said for JD because it is the topic of discussion. Is it likely he returns? No. Would I welcome him back if it was the right situation? Absolutely.

Even if he gets to raise the Cup this year, I just don't see him coming back to our situation which is a rebuild / retool whatever you want to call it. I would think that the opportunity to play on a team with his brother in Minnesota would be an attractive option for him (bonus points for them being a team on the rise) or playing a veteran role on a legit Cup contender.

But enough about Foligno; this thread is about JD.

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
There's an old saying, "your can't go home again." I like JD and he did great things here, but as someone mentioned he's closing in on 70 and I wonder if he wants to basically start over almost from scratch again.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
There's an old saying, "your can't go home again." I like JD and he did great things here, but as someone mentioned he's closing in on 70 and I wonder if he wants to basically start over almost from scratch again.
Except he went home again and got fired after 2 years because the owner is impatient so...

Maybe he gets a special advisor role but no President title somewhere. He doesn't seem like the kind of guy who will just retire and I don't see him going back to broadcasting.

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Except he went home again and got fired after 2 years because the owner is impatient so...

Maybe he gets a special advisor role but no President title somewhere. He doesn't seem like the kind of guy who will just retire and I don't see him going back to broadcasting.
Except his original position in New York was color man with Sam Rosen on the Ranger broadcasts. He wasn't in management.

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
Lol what the hell

Edit: I personally just don’t see what this provides. It kinda sucks to know that we’ll forever be JD’s second choice. But, it’s ultimately a good thing probably. Welcome back JD.

If he helps fix the issues going here, I am fine with 2nd choice. And he wouldn't come back if he didn't like Columbus.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Lol what the hell

Edit: I personally just don’t see what this provides. It kinda sucks to know that we’ll forever be JD’s second choice. But, it’s ultimately a good thing probably. Welcome back JD.

If you want to be technical we’re his third choice as he never would have came here if St Louis didn’t let him go

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Amazing hire .. there is no bigger ambassador to Columbus than JD , this is huge especially for this summer

I do think this helps keep Seth Jones.

However, as Jones mentioned in his post season presser, there is clearly a culture issue with the team with keeping talent and keeping players happy. Hiring JD not only reinforces the current culture thats put together, it doubles down on it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad