The return of Dustin Brown

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
When was he stripped of the C? I must have totally missed that, I was watching the Kings the other day and not only does Anze have the C but Brown doesn't even have a letter? I always found that really ****ty thing to do, same with Jumbo in SJS.
Agreed, not a fan of either. I also remember Modano and Marleau.

Anze got the C two seasons ago.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Are all the people mocking the Brown critics from years past serious? Everybody thought he was bad and not living up to his contract.

Personally, I will wait and see if he can maintain a decent level of production throughout the season after this hot start.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Are all the people mocking the Brown critics from years past serious? Everybody thought he was bad and not living up to his contract.

Personally, I will wait and see if he can maintain a decent level of production throughout the season after this hot start.
That's the problem with your supposed critics.
The bolded are two separate things, which most cant understand....so yes, very serious. He wasnt bad, but he was just not worth his contract.

It shouldnt be a surprise though. An hour ago, I read somebody had never heard of Theoren Fleury but he still felt the need to respond on the matter. Those are the ''people'' we are dealing with here, nowadays.

Last edited:

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I did not see this coming. I thought he was done. Players that play his style usually wear down in their late 20's and that's exactly when his stats started to dip badly.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis

To be fair Brown plays a game that makes it very easy from the outside to hate him, that being said he still was not worth that contract for a couple of years and would be extremely shocked if he finished this season worth his contract, we are only 10% through this year

Reactions: King'sPawn

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Here are some numbers. Keep in mind for the brevity of the discussion, I just included all games from 2011-2012 as during Sutter (except for Carter, since he was in Columbus until the deadline and it is easier to track), which is skewed by the fact the Kings played under Terry Murray until December:
Kopitar's PPG before Sutter: .91
Kopitar's PPG during Sutter: .85

Carter's PPG before Sutter: .73
Carter's PPG during Sutter: .75

Brown's PPG before Sutter: .59
Brown's PPG during Sutter: .45

Brown clearly had the biggest dropoff. But you can see Kopitar's average production remained the same while under Sutter, while Carter's actually improved under Sutter.

Team performance
GF/G in 2012 playoffs: 2.85 (3rd in league)
GF/G in 2013 regular season: 2.73 (10th in league)
GF/G in 2013 playoffs: 2.06 (11th in league)
GF/G in 2014 regular season: 2.41 (26th in league)
GF/G in 2014 playoffs: 3.38 (1st in league)
GF/G in 2015 regular season: 2.66 (18th)
GF/G in 2016 regular season: 2.72 (14th)
GF/G in 2016 playoffs: 2.20 (13th)
GF/G in 2017 regular season: 2.43 (24th)

So, the Kings had a couple down years, but they also had a couple years where they were middle in the pack in terms of offensive production. They also typically amp up their performance where they are a top offensive team in the playoffs.

Ultimately, it becomes a war of attrition for Sutter's players. They play a heavy style that wears down the opposition, but it in turn wears down the Kings players as well, playing it over the course of an 82 game season + playoffs.

So a team like Winnipeg would greatly benefit from having Sutter's direction and discipline, but like the Kings, they better win something in a 3-4 year window.

Your "fact" is just an opinion, although I'm interested in seeing your evidence to support your claim that all offense dies with Sutter and players would have their offense stifled and imploded.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
The NHL has changed. Sutter has a very short shelf life. The Jets don't need a short term coach. It'd be extremely short sighted to do so.

Jets need a coach that implements a great structure, without a big impact on offense. Sutter would be bad for them.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
The NHL has changed. Sutter has a very short shelf life. The Jets don't need a short term coach. It'd be extremely short sighted to do so.

Jets need a coach that implements a great structure, without a big impact on offense. Sutter would be bad for them.
Most coaches have a short shelf life though. Sutter is pretty typical.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
His decline was a really weird one. 5 straight 50+ point seasons (6 straight 45+ point seasons), and then at age ~28, which should be right in his prime, he falls down to 4 straight <36 point seasons, 3 of which were under 30 points (ignoring the short lockout season).

He hasn't even missed many games at all due to injuries, so doesn't seem like his decline was based on injuries. Were there any rumours of off-ice issues?

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
His decline was a really weird one. 5 straight 50+ point seasons (6 straight 45+ point seasons), and then at age ~28, which should be right in his prime, he falls down to 4 straight p>

He hasn't even missed many games at all due to injuries, so doesn't seem like his decline was based on injuries. Were there any rumours of off-ice issues?

No off-ice issues have ever been rumored. The incident that seemed to be the turning point for his production and overall performance was when he was suspended for elbowing Pominville in the head. At least that was my observation.

Reactions: 613Leafer

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
His decline was a really weird one. 5 straight 50+ point seasons (6 straight 45+ point seasons), and then at age ~28, which should be right in his prime, he falls down to 4 straight <36 point seasons, 3 of which were under 30 points (ignoring the short lockout season).

I always thought he slowed down after his missus had kids, late night nappy changes and lack of sleep affected his mojo. Also his relationship with sutter seemed to go south.

The Night King

Mar 25, 2014
California
That's the problem with your supposed critics.
The bolded are two separate things, which most cant understand....so yes, very serious. He wasnt bad, but he was just not worth his contract.

It shouldnt be a surprise though. An hour ago, I read somebody had never heard of Theoren Fleury but he still felt the need to respond on the matter. Those are the ''people'' we are dealing with here, nowadays.
This. He did not live up to his contract, but too many people resorted to ridiculous hyperbole such as "he doesn't belong in the NHL".

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012

He had a lot of issues with Sutter off the ice. There was the incident in Tampa when the players, led by Brown, barricaded Sutter from the locker room so they could hold a player's only meeting. There was the very public stripping of the C, which coincided with Sutter's re-signing. There was also a reported "meeting" between Sutter and Brown, mediated by Lombardi, in which all three had to air their differences.

Sutter was a tough coach and demanded a lot from his players, especially his captain. Eventually, that caused an obvious rift between Sutter and Brown. And Lombardi was too stupidly loyal to Sutter to successfully mediate.

Reactions: Legionnaire

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I think the previous 300 games playing at 30 point pace is more accurate than 7 games at 128 point pace.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Good. Never like to see a player fall off when he theoretically should have some years left. He plays a style that’s hard on the body so you expect a sooner drop off than normal.. but his just seemed too soon.

Hopefully he can squeeze out another couple years.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00