OT: The reporter/chroniquer/analyst that you hate the most

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
McKenzie gets most of his information from the league, he's as much of a paid shill as anybody could be. If you watch him closely you'd notice that he rarely states opinions which go against the league's interests nor does he pronounce any of his own thoughts. He rides the fence and acts as the NHL's mouthpiece and gets respected for it by a bunch of mouth breathers.

He's as bad as anyone.
I like Bobby Mack, but you're right that he rides the fence a little too much. I'd like to hear him give a little more of his opinion on things. Still, I like him. And thumbs up to Friedman who I think is better as well.
Of all the reasons to hate Jack Todd, to dreck up his desertion from that pathetic, genicidal war and call it criminal is as low as one could get.

He's a bad writer, he sucks at hockey, and the Gazette sucks. Yes on all counts. But I and many others would, ten times out of ten, desert or go AWOL than go get butchered in a jungle 8000 miles away.

Grow up.
His articles are bad enough... you don't need any other reason.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
From a piece that quoted Leroux, that was reprised on HF.

I didn't call him a racist, but you seem to. I merely indicated that there are racial/ethnic undertones that permeate some of his comments, which takes away from his credibility. If he feels so strongly about engaging into demagogical pontification, it would be nice of him to exclude that from the sports platform we have been led to believe, he is supposed to be working from.

What piece is that? Not doubting the quote, just curious to read it.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Alain Chantelois for me. He's a baseball guy, but it doesn't matter he just annoys the heck out of me. Most of what he says is just prejudicial and opinionated BS. Tony Marinaro is also in the same category and not too far behind. Ron Fournier.. well I don't ever listen to him anyway.

For purely hockey analyst I'm going to say: Ray Ferraro. He just talks too much. I've got nothing else against him that I wouldn't have against the others. I don't necessarily disagree with all his opinions, but he's one of the few that just has too many opinions to begin with.

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
If he wanted to just draw attention to the place of birth, using the word "québécois" would have been enough.

However, he goes further and says "québécois de souche", which indicates a racial component.

I don't know that he's a xenophobe. I just know that this type of reference is completely unnecessary and takes away Leroux's credibility as a pundit.

Edit: Here is a text from a 2008 piece, citing Leroux, whose comments are captured in bold:

I'd love a link really. Because I google'd it and cannot find anything.

Edit: my bad, was posted a couple posts above.

Habstract

Feb 23, 2009
North Vancouver
Elliotte Friedman is the worst! As far as Habs coverage, Gaston Therrien, Normand Flynn...!

Best are McKenzie, Lebrun. I also like like Dubé, Denis, Damphousse, Hrudey, Weekes

hvac412

Apr 15, 2013
jack turd

jack turd (todd) is the biggest f$%^&*ing ******* in my book,anything from boston boils my blood but the fact that mr. turd has done nothing but bash the habs for as long as i can remember gives him the upper hand.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
I've always liked McKenzie but he seems to be drifting into retirement. Doesn't seem to be breaking as much news, doesn't really have any interesting opinions on the panel...I'm getting the impression that he's not as interested in hockey as he used to be. Or that he's just looking forward to retirement. Which I don't blame him for, of course.

I guess most of my other likes/dislikes fall along the usual lines. Brian Wilde is one I really can't stand anymore, for a "serious reporter" he's more melodramatic than most of the posters on this board. Francois Gagnon I don't find as bad as most here. He's not the best but he seems mostly inoffensive. But when he compared the Weaver trade to the Habs' previous deadline deals to acquire fourth-line centers...ouch.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Everyone brings that army deserter crap when talking about Todd. History has shown that it was an unjust war and that the people who took a stand and didn't want to fight in that war were right. I like Todd and his opinion's are usually spot on. I'm probably in the minority alot of people don't like his writing bit I do.

he volunteered to enlist then deserted, another good example of what a moron he is and his inability to think properly. so don't pity him like someone trying to dodge conscription drafts.

Even if you bring in the political angle, a real hero is a guy like Muhammed Ali who also objected, and made his point when he served his jail time like a man, and advanced the cause of objectors in doing so. Hack Todd ran off instead.

These are examples of how Todd is not only a bad writer, but a terrible person, total loser, a criminal, and the stuff he writes about some people is very vindictive and petty.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
My ability to understand spoken French is poor so most of my exposure to the likes of Gagnon and Therrien come from what they have written, which is usually what I'd expect it to be. When I try to understand RDS I usually regret it.

The English media is of course just as bad, basically everyone on CBC is awful for one. Wilde and his kneejerk reactions are embarrassing. One person who hasn't been mentioned enough is Mitch Melnick, he is completely awful.

Of all the reasons to hate Jack Todd, to dreck up his desertion from that pathetic, genicidal war and call it criminal is as low as one could get.

He's a bad writer, he sucks at hockey, and the Gazette sucks. Yes on all counts. But I and many others would, ten times out of ten, desert or go AWOL than go get butchered in a jungle 8000 miles away.

Grow up.

I can't agree with this enough, what Todd did was illegal but was more intelligent and righteous than the alternative, to risk his life committing murder in the name of an imperialist adventure.

He knows nothing about hockey and I have no idea how he has a column (then again the Gazette isn't exactly a highly regarded publication people are fighting to work for). But judge him on those merits, not on rejecting a horrible war and horrible government.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Steve Kouleas, as someone already mentioned.

How annoying is this guy? His voice goes up for no reason, he produces weird facial expressions, he's like 4 feet tall on a boosted chair

Kouleas's fast-talking style reminds me a lot of Simon Tsalikis, that real estate agent parading as a host on tsn690 -- another guy who can get under your skin quickly. Talking fast doesn't mean you're knowledgeable about anything but don't tell Tsalikis and Kouleas that.

JAVO16

Sep 21, 2008
Montréal
Alain Chantelois for me. He's a baseball guy, but it doesn't matter he just annoys the heck out of me. Most of what he says is just prejudicial and opinionated BS. Tony Marinaro is also in the same category and not too far behind. Ron Fournier.. well I don't ever listen to him anyway.

For purely hockey analyst I'm going to say: Ray Ferraro. He just talks too much. I've got nothing else against him that I wouldn't have against the others. I don't necessarily disagree with all his opinions, but he's one of the few that just has too many opinions to begin with.

Oh, boy. Alain "Le Baron" Chantelois is a grade A assclown. The simple fact that this ignorant moron is getting paid to spew garbage on television is almost too much to bear. I'm pretty sure the guy doesn't even enjoy watching hockey.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I don't follow leroux at all because of reasons I stated above. You keep quoting 'de souche'. Does he actually say that?

They just posted a video of Stéphane Leroux on RDS today, where he is asked to comment about how the Q won't be providing as many high ranking players to the draft this year. The question begins at 2:13 of the tape and without anyone prompting him about race, his answer from 2:28, is focused on how many "Québécois pure laine" were taken last year.

Video here: http://www.rds.ca/vidéos/une-année-sandwich-3.992493

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Friedman, MaClean and everyone at Sportsnet.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Elliotte Friedman is the worst! As far as Habs coverage, Gaston Therrien, Normand Flynn...!

Best are McKenzie, Lebrun. I also like like Dubé, Denis, Damphousse, Hrudey, Weekes

Friedman is likely the very best pundit of all. Not sure why you don't like him. He's the only one who's fair to everyone.

Care to explain why you don't like Eliotte?

I agree with several of your others, notably Lebrun and Weekes. How can you like them and not Friedman?

He's really well connected and pretty unbiased.

??????

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Man, I hate being sucked in by ancient threads.

Always a "what?" surprise.

I apologize for bringing the thread back up. Had been looking in vain for a videoclip to back up a point and finally found one yesterday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad