Confirmed with Link: The Red Wings have signed center Emmitt Finnie to a three-year, entry-level contract beginning with the 2024-25 season

Indrid Cold

Oct 24, 2022
Benson is a nice player, but he's likely to struggle at playoff style hockey, where Danielson is built for it. Wings already have an undersized scorer in Cat, don't need another one. Just because he is putting up numbers on another team doesn't mean he's a fit for ours's.

Reactions: jkutswings

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
My question is what was the urgency of signing him now? We have him under control for years?
Presumably because they see he's ready for pro games, want to give him that exposure, and this way they can put him on an ATO with the Griffins.

I imagine he goes back to the WHL next season (hopefully with a better team eventually), and when his season is over there he gets assigned to GR and never looks back.

Reactions: Steve Yzerlland

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
These Benson takes are brutal. If he was on the Red Wings, he'd be our best defensive player. Comparing him to Debrincat and Ennis is unreal. Completely different types of players.

You can be happy about Danielson and Finnie without having to straight up lie about another player to bring them down.

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
I like the pick and the signing, but I've always been a big fan of the underdogs. You know, those late draft picks that are unlikely to become a pro hockey player. The ELC is a nod in his direction and a vote of confidence from Stevie that he'll become exactly the kind of player we need, and I'm here for it.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, OK Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
These Benson takes are brutal. If he was on the Red Wings, he'd be our best defensive player. Comparing him to Debrincat and Ennis is unreal. Completely different types of players.

You can be happy about Danielson and Finnie without having to straight up lie about another player to bring them down.
The post that brought Benson into this conversation solely did it to straight up lie about Danielson to bring him down.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, OK Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I like the pick and the signing, but I've always been a big fan of the underdogs. You know, those late draft picks that are unlikely to become a pro hockey player. The ELC is a nod in his direction and a vote of confidence from Stevie that he'll become exactly the kind of player we need, and I'm here for it.
He's 10 months younger than Danielson, which means he is 2 months older than Danielson was at this point in his 2023 WHL season where he put up 78 in 68. Seeming like he could develop into a real NHLer.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Have you seen what new cars cost these days? Or how much bonuses are taxed? Or did you mean new to him? Who knows, maybe he would enjoy driving a Chevy Traxx.

New to him then, lol. AWD trailblazer runs about $30k plus taxes though. Keep in mind he also gets the $82.5k salary regardless of which league he plays, starting next season. (Yeah, I get that salary doesn't go far nowadays, they probably ought to raise that for the kids in the next CBA.)

I have no idea how the tax system works in Canada, but in the US signing bonuses are taxed the same as regular income, and the employer usually withholds taxes for you. That's been the case all 3 times for me, and I haven't been audited yet. It can put you in a higher tax bracket, and you pay that rate.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
New to him then, lol. AWD trailblazer runs about $30k plus taxes though. Keep in mind he also gets the $82.5k salary regardless of which league he plays, starting next season. (Yeah, I get that salary doesn't go far nowadays, they probably ought to raise that for the kids in the next CBA.)

I have no idea how the tax system works in Canada, but in the US signing bonuses are taxed the same as regular income, and the employer usually withholds taxes for you. That's been the case all 3 times for me, and I haven't been audited yet. It can put you in a higher tax bracket, and you pay that rate.
Only on the amount in the new tax bracket. Your whole salary isn't taxed higher. An absurd amount of people don't know this.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012

he wouldn't even be in the nhl so this makes no sense regardless

edit: or are you saying he would be our best defensive player because he would have zero (0) goals against because of 0:00 TOI?

Reactions: Realgud

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, OK Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Only on the amount in the new tax bracket. Your whole salary isn't taxed higher. An absurd amount of people don't know this.
Idk what they teach in high schools nowadays but i spent 4 years in various world/us history classes and 0 time learning how I will be taxed the rest of my life.

It's actually a shame what we have decided what is important for kids to know. Don't even need to spend a lot of time on things like that.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018

Our best defensive player as a forward at 18 and we have the balls to think we will make the playoffs lol!

• Love
Reactions: Realgud

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Idk what they teach in high schools nowadays but i spent 4 years in various world/us history classes and 0 time learning how I will be taxed the rest of my life.

It's actually a shame what we have decided what is important for kids to know. Don't even need to spend a lot of time on things like that.
Agreed. If you have paychecks with taxes being taken out...you should spend an hour learning about taxes, the bare minimum.

I bet Emmitt Finnie is about to learn about Progressive Taxes.

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
Our best defensive player as a forward at 18 and we have the balls to think we will make the playoffs lol!
Might be a slight exaggeration but I know Sabres fan seem to think he's one of their best defensive player almost every game. He has been on their 2nd or 3rd line for most of the season despite not having the best offensive numbers because he is just that good defensively at 18 years old. Very admirable player with many flashes of elite talent. I do agree with the size + speed concerns when it comes to his game but I think he'll overcome those very easily becuase of his intelligence. But I can see why the wings prefer to go a different route with players like Danielson who are also mature, responsible and good defensively but also play center with faster skating and better size to go along with it. Oh and probably a better wrist shot too. All in all, the 2023 draft was insane imo and so many players will end up being great nhlers and that includes both Benson and Danielson.

Finnie also fits what the wings are looking for, tools-wise. I'm happy for him and hope he succeeds!

Reactions: Crunchy

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I don't know what kinda cars you are talking about but you can buy brand new decent car under 40k
You can buy a Fisker electric car for $25,000 but the company probably isn't going to be around much longer.

Fun fact:
After the draft Draper said that it was Greg Hawgood who "found" Finnie. Draper said that Hawgood lives in Kamloops and saw Finnie play many times.
Wooohooo our Kamloops scouting operation finally pays off!

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI

Actually, in the US, bonuses are considered supplemental income and typically withheld at a higher rate than your regular pay. It offsets at tax time though.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Actually, in the US, bonuses are considered supplemental income and typically withheld at a higher rate than your regular pay. It offsets at tax time though.

I just looked it up, supplemental income withholding rate is currently only 22%, which is lower than the tax bracket I'm in. The company paid for my relocation as well so my tax return was pretty messed up, lol.

22% tax bracket is $45k - 95k, so probably wouldn't make much difference to Finnie either, except he'll get a bigger return.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad