Confirmed with Link: The Red Wings have signed center Emmitt Finnie to a three-year, entry-level contract beginning with the 2024-25 season

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Decent Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Still 18 till mid summer, too.

Benson vs Danielsson.

Meanwhile one of those is playing in NHL and have around 10 goals while another one struggled in WHL.
If we drafted Benson he wouldn't have been playing in the NHL, though. Buffalo decided to keep him up, we wouldn't have based on Nate Danielson's preseason performance. And he didn't struggle, that's awful analysis.

Reactions: lilidk and Gniwder

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023
Until Bowman arrived. He did win a Selke.

I was talking about 1983-1988 Yzerman. He could very well be argued as the third best player in the NHL during that time. He wasn't a two way forward because he was literally one of the highest end offensive forwards the league had seen in a while. The whole point though is that Yzerman type players are taken in the lottery.
Why Yzerman like Draper type players so much and doesn't like Yzerman type of players? Small skilled not fully developed forwards.
And also... Yzerman wasn't small. 5'11, 177 lbs. Nate Danielson, 6'2" 185, Zach Benson 5'9, 163.

Danielson is arguably more Yzerman than Benson is.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Still 18 till mid summer, too.

Yeah, so according to the transfer agreement, he has to play another season of WHL, I only see 3 seasons in his stats. (Unless I'm missing an out clause somewhere, it's usually 4 years or age 20.)

.... and of course this thread turned into a Benson thread because it's got Finnie in the title.

• Haha
Reactions: Detroit Knights

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023
Hey as long as he's better than the last kid they took who looked like he should be going to homecoming instead of playing in a professional sports league, I'm fine with it all.

Finnie with the Finale! Game winning goal in game 7 to send the Wings on the 2027 Stanley Cup finals!

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
GR has him listed 1" taller and 20 lbs heavier than the draft at 6'1" 183lbs, the kid probably only needs another season before he hits average NHL size:

Also, he had an 11 game point streak where he logged 23 points, so he's a grinder with some skill. 4 SH goals for the season.

There's a lot to like about this kid, especially being a 7th round pick. Obviously Stevie knows....

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
the Wings not drafting Benson is depressing enough without also having to read about it in a thread about a 7th rounder who appears to be doing pretty well so far :(

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
I noted the sarcasm, but wasn't sure if you knew exactly why he was signed today. I mean, he still has to play another season of WHL before he goes to GR full time.
you are going to sit here and tell me that you noted the sarcasm and not act accordingly?

This is a big game day. Come on man. We need everyone on the right page and I am seriously doubting your ability to get on the appropriate level. God dammit Cory, tighten it the fu*k up!

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006
the Wings not drafting Benson is depressing enough without also having to read about it in a thread about a 7th rounder who appears to be doing pretty well so far :(

I don't get what makes Zach Benson so great. People were begging for a center for years, now when a center is drafted everybody is depressed because Red Wings passed on opportunity to draft smallish winger with not a great skating for his size, because he put up a bunch of points in juniors. Even if he becomes a second coming of Tyler Ennis, is it really enough to get depressed?

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I don't get what makes Zach Benson so great. People were begging for a center for years, now when a center is drafted everybody is depressed because Red Wings passed on opportunity to draft smallish winger with not a great skating for his size, because he put up a bunch of points in juniors. Even if he becomes a second coming of Tyler Ennis, is it really enough to get depressed?

sometimes it's fine to just not chime in when you know literally nothing about a player

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Benson was dominant player in juniors, he always created something. Danielson good skater and good defensively, Emmitt almost year younger , playmaker, didn't have much support from teamates. Now in GR let's see how good he is. Not going to surprise if he is our 2023 Zetterberg.

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
Did a lot of WHL stuff this year and seen him play many times. First 5-6 times, wasn’t even to watch him play, but it was tough watching Kamloops and him not grabbing attention.

He’s your typical Yzerman draft pick at forward. He’ll play in the dirty areas and creates space in traffic. Great vision too. There’s a lot of Robbie Fabbri in him. More how Fabbri plays today. Not as wide open as he played in juniors, but that entire, go get the puck and use your vision, and feel for the game, to make things happen.

One note, he’s stronger than he was in camp with Detroit last year. I’d say he’s put on a good 12-15 pounds of natural strength/muscle this year. So his lanky body/frame on draft day, is no longer a concern. He’s able to get bigger and stronger.

Lastly, he was a young draft pick last summer. He’s still only 18. So they took a bet on his physical frame being able to mature, against some of the feeling out there, and he’s doing just that.

Funny how things change in a year. Especially for a younger draft pick. Several of this year’s Top draft prospects aren’t much younger than Finnie. If he were 3 months younger, and in this draft, instead of last year’s, he’d easily be a 2nd round pick, and nobody would be surprised if he landed in the later half of round one. His vision is really good, and his feet are quick enough to process what he wants to do. That’s a Top 50 pick every year.

Perfect example of what a crapshoot drafting 17-18 year old kids really is, and how things can change in just a year, with opportunities. He had a stretch of games last season playing with Minton, that showed how talented he could be. Guarantee that’s what caught Detroit’s eye as a 17 year old.. Playing for the perfect coach too.

Not sure he isn’t traded to one of the big WHL teams for next year, but we’ll see come October. Big value pick for Detroit.
I have watched him a couple times, I saw he was bigger, I did not realize he was up to 195-200 pounds, at 18, 6'1" and that size, given how he plays, I now see why SY did the contract now, one more year in WHL then we'll see how he goes, I hope he gets some GR time this year as a preview.

Thanks for the update!

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

Benson's ceiling is basically DeBrincat, I got over the whole Benson thing when Stevie traded for Cat. The issue is getting DeBrincat to play at his ceiling by getting a legit 2C instead of Copp/Compher. Benson would be wasted on this team without a legit 2C anyways.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Benson vs Danielsson.

Meanwhile one of those is playing in NHL and have around 10 goals while another one struggled in WHL.

giphy.gif

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
He also got $70k/year signing bonus. He'll be able to buy a new car before he heads to GR.

Signing bonus is not max but higher than Elmer and Hanas.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
He also got $70k/year signing bonus. He'll be able to buy a new car before he heads to GR.

Signing bonus is not max but higher than Elmer and Hanas.

Have you seen what new cars cost these days? Or how much bonuses are taxed? Or did you mean new to him? Who knows, maybe he would enjoy driving a Chevy Traxx.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I don't know what kinda cars you are talking about but you can buy brand new decent car under 40k

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad