Confirmed with Link: The Red Wings have signed center Emmitt Finnie to a three-year, entry-level contract beginning with the 2024-25 season

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL

1711467017382.png

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
Can this guy end up being a steal at 7? Was thinking other 2 way bottom 6 guy for sure (our specialty)

Then checked his team and even though his numbers arent mind blowing the rest of the teams is. Horrible roster

Hopefully he turns into something, lord knows we need to start hitting on later picks

Reactions: lilidk

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Wow, this really is notable, regardless of how this prospect turns out. Wings must really like this kid. I know he's having a nice season, and that's certainly great, but how often do 7th-round picks get signed 9 months after their draft, and 2.5 years before they must be signed to retain their rights?

I don't think being signed like this tells us what the Wings think of his ceiling necessarily, but to me they are signaling that they think very highly of his floor.

Edit: He also signed for the max dollar amount, 950K, the same as Danielson. Did they mix him up with Sandin-Pellika or something?

Last edited:

Murmansk16A

Apr 29, 2022
Wow, this really is notable, regardless of how this prospect turns out. Wings must really like this kid. I know he's having a nice season, and that's certainly great, but how often to 7th-round picks get signed 9 months after their draft, and 2.5 years before they must be signed to retain their rights?

I don't think being signed like this tells us what the Wings think of his ceiling necessarily, but to me they are signaling that they think very highly of his floor.

Edit: He also signed for the max dollar amount, 950K, the same as Danielson. Did they mix him up with Sandin-Pellika or something?
From what I've read this season, he is not a perimeter player. He is a tenacious forechecker, kills penalties, plays on the power play. He has good size, good speed, and a good shot. He plays mostly wing but has also played center. Plus, he has something in common with Henrik Zetterberg - drafted in the 7th round! Red Wings Prospects on Twitter had a season ending thread on Finnie the other day.

Red Wings Prospects

@LGRWProspects

Emmitt Finnie(7th round’23)Wrap up:•18yo 6’1 183 lbs LW/C•62GP 19G 40A•Kamloops finished last in WHL Finnie led them in points.•Non-stop engine. Enters every battle with a shoulder. Good skater.•Always in the right place at the right time. Great shot, Good passer.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
From what I've read this season, he is not a perimeter player. He is a tenacious forechecker, kills penalties, plays on the power play. He has good size, good speed, and a good shot. He plays mostly wing but has also played center. Plus, he has something in common with Henrik Zetterberg - drafted in the 7th round! Red Wings Prospects on Twitter had a season ending thread on Finnie the other day.

Red Wings Prospects
@LGRWProspects

Emmitt Finnie(7th round’23)Wrap up:•18yo 6’1 183 lbs LW/C•62GP 19G 40A•Kamloops finished last in WHL Finnie led them in points.•Non-stop engine. Enters every battle with a shoulder. Good skater.•Always in the right place at the right time. Great shot, Good passer.

helm with helms hands minus the speed. got it. sign me up

• Haha
Reactions: Henkka and ShelbyZ

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
What do we know about this kid?
Did a lot of WHL stuff this year and seen him play many times. First 5-6 times, wasn’t even to watch him play, but it was tough watching Kamloops and him not grabbing attention.

He’s your typical Yzerman draft pick at forward. He’ll play in the dirty areas and creates space in traffic. Great vision too. There’s a lot of Robbie Fabbri in him. More how Fabbri plays today. Not as wide open as he played in juniors, but that entire, go get the puck and use your vision, and feel for the game, to make things happen.

One note, he’s stronger than he was in camp with Detroit last year. I’d say he’s put on a good 12-15 pounds of natural strength/muscle this year. So his lanky body/frame on draft day, is no longer a concern. He’s able to get bigger and stronger.

Lastly, he was a young draft pick last summer. He’s still only 18. So they took a bet on his physical frame being able to mature, against some of the feeling out there, and he’s doing just that.

Funny how things change in a year. Especially for a younger draft pick. Several of this year’s Top draft prospects aren’t much younger than Finnie. If he were 3 months younger, and in this draft, instead of last year’s, he’d easily be a 2nd round pick, and nobody would be surprised if he landed in the later half of round one. His vision is really good, and his feet are quick enough to process what he wants to do. That’s a Top 50 pick every year.

Perfect example of what a crapshoot drafting 17-18 year old kids really is, and how things can change in just a year, with opportunities. He had a stretch of games last season playing with Minton, that showed how talented he could be. Guarantee that’s what caught Detroit’s eye as a 17 year old.. Playing for the perfect coach too.

Not sure he isn’t traded to one of the big WHL teams for next year, but we’ll see come October. Big value pick for Detroit.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023
Why Yzerman like Draper type players so much and doesn't like Yzerman type of players? Small skilled not fully developed forwards.

Because you get Yzerman type players at 1.1

Steve Yzerman was more Connor McDavid in his time than he was a two-way forward.

Reactions: SoupNazi

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
can't believe yzerman is wasting his time on this when we have playoffs to get to. How rude.

His WHL season is over, so they signed him to play in GR with an ATO contract in addition to the NHL ELC.

I can't get a game log for WHL games, but his numbers went up a lot after he shifted from center to wing. I think a lot of people here are sleeping on this kid. He's gonna be Mazur but with the ability to gain weight.

Reactions: Realgud

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
His WHL season is over, so they signed him to play in GR with an ATO contract in addition to the NHL ELC.

I can't get a game log for WHL games, but his numbers went up a lot after he shifted from center to wing. I think a lot of people here are sleeping on this kid. He's gonna be Mazur but with the ability to gain weight.
you are normally very good at detection. You failed on this one

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023
Benson vs Danielsson.

Meanwhile one of those is playing in NHL and have around 10 goals while another one struggled in WHL.

That's not an Yzerman vs. a Draper type player.

An Yzerman type player is an elite 1C. Like, he was a put the team on his back type player from day one.

They want guys who are hard-to-play against two way forwards because that was what made Detroit successful in the late 90s-late 2000s. They had star forwards too... but what made them deadly was the fact that their star forwards were also shutdown forwards. Yzerman, Fedorov, Datsyuk, Zetterberg.

But I see... it's that Yzerman didn't take a player you like who is a bit ahead of the guy he did take so it's something you'll complain about him not doing.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Benson vs Danielsson.

Meanwhile one of those is playing in NHL and have around 10 goals while another one struggled in WHL.
Danielson is not struggling in WHL, he is their best player, but yes I was upset with that pick, while Benson was available

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Danielson is not struggling in WHL, he is their best player, but yes I was upset with that pick, while Benson was available

Does the team really need to collect Cats like an old lonely woman? The team doesn't need more Copps or Cats, the team needs a true 2C.

Reactions: 14ari13

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad