News Article: The Rebuild - Thoughts from Terry Murray

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
How much higher are their prices? Keep in mind they don't have an 8% PST tacked on top.

Also keep in mind that in the past 15 years or so, Alberta has seen a ton of wealth generated by oil. Both by residents and corporations.

Plus, lets not forget how their unconditional support has turned out on the ice for them - the old boys club continues to reign supreme there and despite having the best player in the league, they're likely to miss the playoffs again this season.

The data is there to look at. Check out the forbes data for 2018 or years prior.

My personal ecperience with data is people believe what they research themselves and question what is researched and quoted to them.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
How much higher are their prices? Keep in mind they don't have an 8% PST tacked on top.

Also keep in mind that in the past 15 years or so, Alberta has seen a ton of wealth generated by oil. Both by residents and corporations.

Plus, lets not forget how their unconditional support has turned out on the ice for them - the old boys club continues to reign supreme there and despite having the best player in the league, they're likely to miss the playoffs again this season.

The oil industry has been in a major meltdown since the price of oil collapsed in 2014

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
For anyone that can set aside their emotions for a minute and objectively look at numbers

This is one of the main themes that Coladin has posted about for the past year. Edmonton has had garbage on ice results seemingly forever apart from the Pronger led cup run. They've endured Katz threats and ended up with what some consider the nicest arena in the league built with a large contribution from the public purse. They've been the epitome of an old boys club for 15 years.

Yet through all of that, their attendance has been there. And a point that shouldn't be lost on people here, it was there at considerably higher prices.

I'm not a Melnyk fan and I've said it many times. His outdoor game rant was probably the worse thing he could have ever said. He never should have said that but the message was real.
For all the complaining we do about what we perceive as dishonest pr from Dorion and Company, Melnyk appears to have been pretty honest at the outdoor game and the fireside Boro chat. Basically told us that costs were being slashed everywhere in the organization top to bottom and that the players were next, check. He followed that up by telling us about most of the team being new faces and ELC's, check. We've pretty much gutted everything we could and are just stuck with the few that either couldn't be dealt, are here to help hit the floor, or will only be tradable with an expiring deal, a la Boedker.

Reactions: coladin

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
The oil industry has been in a major meltdown since the price of oil collapsed in 2014
Doesnt help with us being landlocked in moving our oil either...They need that pipeline,to open up other markets than just shipping it south

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
For all the complaining we do about what we perceive as dishonest pr from Dorion and Company, Melnyk appears to have been pretty honest at the outdoor game and the fireside Boro chat. Basically told us that costs were being slashed everywhere in the organization top to bottom and that the players were next, check. He followed that up by telling us about most of the team being new faces and ELC's, check. We've pretty much gutted everything we could and are just stuck with the few that either couldn't be dealt, are here to help hit the floor, or will only be tradable with an expiring deal, a la Boedker.

I'd say he was pretty honest and it certainly wasn't a message that ANY fanbase wants to hear.

At the end of the day, you stare down the cost of a new building without public investment and ask how you can afford that on this market's revenue streams and the only answer i can come up with is that you can't.

For sure you can hope we have a wealthier owner, but anyone looking at it on a money in money out basis would conclude there isn't enough money in this market.

And i'm not criticizing the market per se, Edmonton got a rink with public money. I think in some respects that Calgary is in worse shape than we are. We have a great building with a shitty location. They have a shitty building, investment math that doesn't work and a mayor dead set against public investment.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Absolutely. 100% agree. But i'd say WE as in Canada needs it, not just Alberta
Oh for sure,those protesters are being funded by the US...There is far more risk of spills and enviromental damage by pushing tractor trailers over the rockies ...Than a proper built pipeline

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Listen carefully.

As much of a piece of shit as he is, Melnyk has been the one person in management willing to be honest. Even if he did it in a piss poor way via his outdoor game tantrum, romantic fireside chat with Boro, and his parliament hill "trading Stone was always part of the plan" quote... he really has burned everything to the ground just like he said he would.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Listen carefully.

As much of a piece of **** as he is, Melnyk has been the one person in management willing to be honest. Even if he did it in a piss poor way via his outdoor game tantrum, romantic fireside chat with Boro, and his parliament hill "trading Stone was always part of the plan" quote... he really has burned everything to the ground just like he said he would.
He has even went so far as to black balling the official television and radio affiliate of the Ottawa Senators by having an interview done with their competitor, in Toronto, I might add.

Hmmmm.....so no disconnect eh Pierre?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Absolutely. 100% agree. But i'd say WE as in Canada needs it, not just Alberta

Agreed. It's the oil revenues that support the transfer payments to the have not provinces like Quebec who bitch about the dirty oil sands but their hand doesn't shake whenever they get the money from the oil revenues in the form of transfer payments that pays for their $8 a day daycare.

Let's just say it ... hypocrisy.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Coles notes for the interview with McCown.

Melnyk just as happy to stay in Kanata.
We could develop around Kanata if we wanted...
Lebreton didn't work out we need to move on
Blames economics on the deal falling through. points to the other building ruddy was developing.
Needs somebody that is better organized.
Says he'd partner with a different developer, has had conversations with a few people on that.
Winning back fans: identify who is actually a sens fan and focus on them ie filter through the noise of other teams fans piling on I guess.
Says a rebuild was needed, to win the SC you need 4 or 5 superstars in mid 20s, a top end goalie and vets.
Why Coach was fired right after PD said his job was safe: knew he was gone after the season, did it for the players and for the coach to allow him to start looking for new work,

Not really much of interest in that one.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Taylor Hall? Jordan Eberle? Though I guess you could argue those were (ill advised) hockey trades and not financially motivated.

I'd argue that both those trades were financially motivated. It isn't a coincidence the Oilers managed to cut salary on both.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Coles notes for the interview with McCown.

Says a rebuild was needed, to win the SC you need 4 or 5 superstars in mid 20s, a top end goalie and vets.
Why Coach was fired right after PD said his job was safe: knew he was gone after the season, did it for the players and for the coach to allow him to start looking for new work,

Not really much of interest in that one.

Karlsson , Duchene , Stone, Chabot .

There's 4 right there and only one is left.

WaitingInVain

Jul 5, 2012
Karlsson , Duchene , Stone, Chabot .

There's 4 right there and only one is left.

I hear you, but the relationship had soured and it is what it is.

They have two defencemen and two wingers with legit star power in this league. Gustavsson is the presumed top end goalie and remains a couple of years away. It's not the way it should have been done, and it probably could have been done better/for better returns, however the results may end up being there.

Chabot + Brannstrom
Tkachuk + Batherson
*2020 FRP or Logan Brown (requires an optimistic projection)
*Gustavsson

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto

Have to admit I used to roll my eyes a bit when people would talk about "Melnyk bots"....but I'm a true believer now.

Peptic Balcers

May 1, 2010
Ottawa, Canada

Have to admit I used to roll my eyes a bit when people would talk about "Melnyk bots"....but I'm a true believer now.

No way that's a bot, that's someone trolling. The language is way too obvious. Everything that they say are just phrases used to piss off sens fans:

"fake fans"
"Melnyk is a great owner and Ottawa should appreciate him"
"Just got a Boro jersey, signed!!"

The list goes on and on, they're just trying to get a reaction

Reactions: coladin

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
No way that's a bot, that's someone trolling. The language is way too obvious. Everything that they say are just phrases used to piss off sens fans:

"fake fans"
"Melnyk is a great owner and Ottawa should appreciate him"
"Just got a Boro jersey, signed!!"

The list goes on and on, they're just trying to get a reaction

- Joined March 2019
- literally every tweet is pro-Senators & Pro Melnyk, including this doozie:

... And yet Melnyk has the gall to dismiss angry fans by comparing them to 12 year old fake fans from Toronto, but thinks these kinds of astroturfing accounts are fine. :laugh:

HF Reader

Jan 20, 2018
I agree that the salary dump (rebuild) was telegraphed a couple of times. Another big clue came during the Melnyk/ Boro chat. Melnyk referred to the many upcoming draft picks at a time when the team had no first or third in 2019. How was the team going to have many draft picks?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad