News Article: The Rebuild - Thoughts from Terry Murray

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
During the Melnyk era, the team has never tried to build on it's success, instead they seemingly looked to profit following successful years whilst banking on unproven youth and fringe UFA's. Several times the team has cut real spending after stronger seasons and decent playoff runs, which I believe is generally unheard of in the league at this time.
Coming off 2016-17 conference finals being the prime example. Absolutely zero attempt to improve. They lost their top pairing dmen to expansion draft and surgery, plus lost Macarthur. What do they do? Absolutely F'in nothing, then they blame the team when it doesn't work out and it's apparently time for a rebuild.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
1. EM sells team.
2. New owner cleans house & fires the majority of management with the exception of some scouts.
3. Hire Terry Murray as GM & either hire an established NHL HC or promote Mann to HC.
4. Buy out Boedker.
5. Keep Condon in Belleville next season as an injury callup & promote Hogberg.
6. Do not re-sign any of the UFAs with the exception of Archibald & maybe Goloubef.
7. Trade Balcers, DeMello, Sturtz, Abramov, Klimchuk & Davidsson for picks & better prospects, if possible.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
1. EM sells team.
2. New owner cleans house & fires the majority of management with the exception of some scouts.
3. Hire Terry Murray as GM & either hire an established NHL HC or promote Mann to HC.
4. Buy out Boedker.
6. Do not re-sign any of the UFAs with the exception of Archibald & maybe Goloubef.
7. Trade Balcers, DeMello, Sturtz, Abramov, Klimchuk & Davidsson for picks & better prospects, if possible.

1. Aint going to happen

Reactions: aragorn

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
1. EM sells team.
4. Buy out Boedker.

Why would we trade Abramov?

Is he small or something?

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
He just can't get enough of being the worst current owner in all of pro-sports.

That thread on the mainboard is funny which asks fans how they feel about ownership with the caveat that Sens fans need not participate...it's accepted now as common info save for the 2 or 3 holder's on, on the Sens board.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Also in that last point, if I can paraphrase it: "Trade (players) for (better players)"

That's like the Coles Notes summary of a good GM :laugh:

The Case of Hoffman <-> Boedker . Now a feature of "How to be a GM for Dummies"... get it online ... Dorion identified the need and the market responded.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Have you looked at Edmonton’s historical attendance? I’m going to say obviously not...I just looked at attendance comparing Ottawa to the “incredibly supportive” oilers fans.

Out of the last 24 years since the CTC has existed the oilers have exceeded ottawa’s Attendance 3 times, yes that’s right, 3 times. Those are also the last 3 years which was with the best player in the world and a brand new arena.

So in case your math machine is broken that is 21 seasons in the poorly supported Ottawa Senators franchise to 3 for the “incredibly supportive” Edmonton Oilers franchise.

3 vs 21 = oilers fans support their team more than Ottawa for coladin
My math machine isn’t broken. You are just being intellectually dishonest.

They have been sold out, 100% capacity since 2005. At higher prices to boot. No freebies. No empty seat articles all over Canada ,US, and Europe. For a laughably inept product. Why do you bother?

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
You have to also take into account that until they built the new arena, the oilers played out of Northlands Coliseum, which had a capacity of like 16.5k.

Ottawa will win a direct comparison of attendance almost every time because we had a building capable of holding up to 20k at some points, while Edmonton was capped below 17k due to their arena.
16,839 to be exact. Every game for a decade. And full in the new arena. I would bet if Rexall held the same as CTC it would have been full.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So a bit of a tangent, but looking at next years potential lineup:

LW: Tkachuk, Duclair (RFA), Balcers, Smith, Paajarvi (UFA), Lindberg (UFA), Formenton, Paul
RW: Ryan, Batherson, Veronneau, Boedker, Abramov, Davidsson?
C: White, Tierney, Pageau, Gibbons (UFA), Brown,

LD: Chabot,Wolanin, Brannstrom, Lajoie, Boro, Harpur
RD: Ceci (RFA), DeMelo, Jaros,

I don't mind the group of forwards, they lack some star power and are pretty green, but I'm ok with that. The LD is really solid, albeit green, but that RD group needs some help.

Reactions: Variable26

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
16,839 to be exact. Every game for a decade. And full in the new arena. I would bet if Rexall held the same as CTC it would have been full.

For anyone that can set aside their emotions for a minute and objectively look at numbers

This is one of the main themes that Coladin has posted about for the past year. Edmonton has had garbage on ice results seemingly forever apart from the Pronger led cup run. They've endured Katz threats and ended up with what some consider the nicest arena in the league built with a large contribution from the public purse. They've been the epitome of an old boys club for 15 years.

Yet through all of that, their attendance has been there. And a point that shouldn't be lost on people here, it was there at considerably higher prices.

I'm not a Melnyk fan and I've said it many times. His outdoor game rant was probably the worse thing he could have ever said. He never should have said that but the message was real.

Reactions: coladin and aragorn

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
For anyone that can set aside their emotions for a minute and objectively look at numbers

This is one of the main themes that Coladin has posted about for the past year. Edmonton has had garbage on ice results seemingly forever apart from the Pronger led cup run. They've endured Katz threats and ended up with what some consider the nicest arena in the league built with a large contribution from the public purse. They've been the epitome of an old boys club for 15 years.

Yet through all of that, their attendance has been there. And a point that shouldn't be lost on people here, it was there at considerably higher prices.

I'm not a Melnyk fan and I've said it many times. His outdoor game rant was probably the worse thing he could have ever said. He never should have said that but the message was real.
Meh, I've never seen Edmonton trade star player after star player. In Edmonton, they pay and keep their top drafted players. They also hired a GM that had Stanley cup experience (it doesn't matter what he did afterwards, the point is they signed a GM a few years removed from winning the cup), which convey's to the fanbase they are trying. Edmontonians didn't have to put up with their smug owner making videos and plastering himself on marketing pieces, nor did they have to deal with an owner heavily involved in hockey operations. The only comparable we have is Harold Ballard.

Last edited:

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown

How much higher are their prices? Keep in mind they don't have an 8% PST tacked on top.

Also keep in mind that in the past 15 years or so, Alberta has seen a ton of wealth generated by oil. Both by residents and corporations.

Plus, lets not forget how their unconditional support has turned out on the ice for them - the old boys club continues to reign supreme there and despite having the best player in the league, they're likely to miss the playoffs again this season.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
This is one of the main themes that Coladin has posted about for the past year.
You guys have posted a lot of "main themes" this past year, all in an effort to deflect away from the real problem that this organization faces. People have turned on this organization, all you need to do is listen to an interview with any of the three stooges to figure out why people do not trust the gongshow that is the Ottawa Senators.

Reactions: Engineer

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
You guys have posted a lot of "main themes" this past year, all in an effort to deflect away from the real problem that this organization faces. People have turned on this organization, all you need to do is listen to an interview with any of the three stooges to figure out why people do not trust the gongshow that is the Ottawa Senators.

Who is the third stooge now?

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
The are many real problems in the organization and in this city. One we all admit to, and others many stick their head in the sand. I had a long discussion with one of the stooges last night, and he is very aware of what is going on, and read the room very well. He explained to me many things not known to anyone here. Talked contract and what exactly was offered. And the challenges in this market. Good luck to them.

So, yeah, I guess people didn't trust the organization when Karlsson and Stone the generational players, played in front of 11,099 in November 2016. They didn't trust them in the playoffs later that year too, apparently. People have turned on the organization for whatever they perceive as valid reasons. And at the end of the day, that is all that matters.

If they want to watch NHL hockey, and watch their team, and cheer on the players, they know where to do so.

If they don't , they don't. And continue to stew about it. Life shouldn't be this acrimonious and bitter. My 11 year old had a great time and asked to go back. Good enough for me

Last edited:

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
Meh, I've never seen Edmonton trade star player after star player. In Edmonton, they pay and keep their top drafted players. They also hired a GM that had Stanley cup experience (it doesn't matter what he did afterwards, the point is they signed a GM a few years removed from winning the cup), which convey's to the fanbase they are trying. Edmontonians didn't have to put up with their smug owner making videos and plastering himself on marketing pieces, nor did they have to deal with an owner heavily involved in hockey operations. The only comparable we have is Harold Ballard.

Taylor Hall? Jordan Eberle? Though I guess you could argue those were (ill advised) hockey trades and not financially motivated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad