News Article: The Rebuild - Thoughts from Terry Murray

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I agree that the salary dump (rebuild) was telegraphed a couple of times. Another big clue came during the Melnyk/ Boro chat. Melnyk referred to the many upcoming draft picks at a time when the team had no first or third in 2019. How was the team going to have many draft picks?
Cutting a team's expenditures is the easy part. I don't think anyone doubted that he was going to slash salaries. The questions are, why is this the correct move now? And why should we have any faith in this specific management team to lead a rebuild?

HF Reader

Jan 20, 2018
Cutting a team's expenditures is the easy part. I don't think anyone doubted that he was going to slash salaries. The questions are, why is this the correct move now? And why should we have any faith in this specific management team to lead a rebuild?

I'm with you. I was reinforcing that any fan who didn't see this coming as early as February 2018 simply hasn't been paying attention.

As for the direction, I have faith that the team will draft well.

I have limited faith that the team will hire the best coach to develop young players. I might be surprised on that one. More importantly, I don't support the concept of developing players while in the NHL. They should develop in the AHL or elsewhere before getting to the NHL.

I have limited faith the team can retain any player who has the option to leave, such as Chabot and Tkachuk eventually.

As for my overall engagement with the team, there are three comments from "the stooges" that killed any lingering hope of fan connection.

1. Get a new girlfriend
2. The day Dorion traded Stone was his best/happiest as a GM (I forget his exact wording).

And what for me is the most delusional of all....

3. R'ski saying that it is a good thing to trade all these elite players because the team has to get to the cap floor so fans can look forward to acquiring new players.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Coles notes for the interview with McCown.

Melnyk just as happy to stay in Kanata.
We could develop around Kanata if we wanted...
Lebreton didn't work out we need to move on
Blames economics on the deal falling through. points to the other building ruddy was developing.
Needs somebody that is better organized.
Says he'd partner with a different developer, has had conversations with a few people on that.
Winning back fans: identify who is actually a sens fan and focus on them ie filter through the noise of other teams fans piling on I guess.
Says a rebuild was needed, to win the SC you need 4 or 5 superstars in mid 20s, a top end goalie and vets.
Why Coach was fired right after PD said his job was safe: knew he was gone after the season, did it for the players and for the coach to allow him to start looking for new work,

Not really much of interest in that one.
I did like that he mentioned with the 17 picks over the next three years that they could be used in other ways

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I did like that he mentioned with the 17 picks over the next three years that they could be used in other ways
Simmer ripped into that comment on the radio this morning. Likened it to how we traded for Ryan and set the team back because we didn't want to be patient.

I think if we use them to move up in the draft it's fine, but we got to be careful, the leafs gave up futures for Kessel which set them back in a big way too, and he was what, 23 at the time?

Reactions: Acidrain66

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Simmer ripped into that comment on the radio this morning. Likened it to how we traded for Ryan and set the team back because we didn't want to be patient.

I think if we use them to move up in the draft it's fine, but we got to be careful, the leafs gave up futures for Kessel which set them back in a big way too, and he was what, 23 at the time?
Oh for sure. Patience is key. He did mention "moving up", I think, or getting young prospects. Too much going on to accurately remember everything in the last 12 hours lol

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
In regards to the rebuild any chance of possibly getting some players back now that Bouchard and Raymond and possibly Crawford will be gone? A few cheap vets would not be a bad idea.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON

I don't trust PD to do any of this. It seems every time he makes a "buy" type deal he caves to the other GM's demands and gives up too much just to get the deal done.

It honestly scares me that he's going to be in charge of all of these assets going forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00