Confirmed with Link: The real Suter/Parise story

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
Again, you don't know that. It is as likely he comes into Detroit and doesn't fit in well. Add to it his cap hit would have handcuffed Detroit making any type of moves in the off season. Remember, he would have cost Detroit 7-8 million a season. The team would be fundamentally different with 7-8 million less dollars in cap space. So, its not like 'here's the team +Suter!' its here's the team +Suter -7 million in other contracts.

Wasn't gunna cut into this conversation. But saying that we wouldnt of had 7m to piss away in shit players is literally the single worse point that could be made in this argument.

Holland wasted 5-10m every season for what 5 or 6 in a row?

Star players drive this league and star players on teams win cups. More specifically having 1 or 2 centers, 1 or 2 d and a goalie at minimum. We wouldve had dat, z, suter and Howard. As well as a handful of other quite good players.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Fun story. Kind of nothing changed on my mind, this was leaked almost in a same way already on those days. Just better details.

I hope Jacob Trouba will be our Michigan-guy, wants to play under his dad's eyes, has probably a Michigan-wife for whom relatives are important...?

And is sick at being on the 2nd PP for the Jets. Just like Suter was that behind Weber at Nashville.

Maybe he falls as free gift to us.

Then Michigan hockey programs overall have finally given something for the Red Wings.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Fun story. Kind of nothing changed on my mind, this was leaked almost in a same way already on those days. Just better details.

I hope Jacob Trouba will be our Michigan-guy, wants to play under his dad's eyes, has probably a Michigan-wife for whom relatives are important...?

And is sick at being on the 2nd PP for the Jets. Just like Suter was that behind Weber at Nashville.

Maybe he falls as free gift to us.

Then Michigan hockey programs overall have finally given something for the Red Wings.
Maybe. But Suter in 2013 would have been a bigger help than Trouba now, at least in terms of having a shot at winning a Cup.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Maybe. But Suter in 2013 would have been a bigger help than Trouba now, at least in terms of having a shot at winning a Cup.

Sure, but we did everything we could to get Suter and didn't. It wasn't like we were underbidding him.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Sure, but we did everything we could to get Suter and didn't. It wasn't like we were underbidding him.
Correct. I wasn't discrediting Detroit in the attempt at Suter, just thinking that the potential impact of Trouba for the current roster is a bit overstated.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
They prob also don't sign Tootoo and Samuleson. All 3 of which made zero impact on the team that year.

Tootoo and Samuelsson (and Gustavsson) were all signed shortly after free agency started on 7/1 while the Wings were still chasing Suter. Colaiacovo was added way later in the summer as a band-aid since they missed out on all the competent Dmen that got signed in the time that went by before Suter decided on 7/5. IIRC, the team went through that lockout shortened year with a decent chunk of that salary they left open for Suter unoccupied even after Tootoo/Samuelsson/Gustavsson signed (And IIRC, a little bit for Holmstrom, if he wanted to come back)

It probably isn't far off to consider that the 12-13 seasons roster could've simply been a swap of Colaiacovo for Suter, with the team maybe having a little more difficulty to call guys up and down like they did all year with the injuries.

It would be after that season where a hypothetical $7-8M cap hit Suter would really change things on the roster:

-Howard needed a huge raise (and he was probably always going to get it, and maybe get more money if having a legit #1D in front of him made his numbers even better than they were in 12-13)
-Kindl got a noticeable raise after 12-13, but maybe a healthy Suter vs. Colaiacovo missing almost the whole season keeps Kindl at spare part status?
-Most likely no Alfredsson signing
-Maybe Weiss still signed?
-Re-signing Brunner would've been even more difficult, regardless of if he plays better on a team with Suter
-On the bright side... maybe no "taking care of Dan Cleary", or they accelerate the CBO of Tootoo or in the alternate "Suter a Red Wing universe" Samuelsson is healthy and can take the CBO and allow them to bring back Cleary... -No panic extension of Quincey, maybe no Legwand trade?, maybe they don't have to bump Ericsson so far up the depth chart and he stays in the $3M range?,

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Go ask Ken Holland that. His plan was to sign Suter and make the money work properly. He's always done a good job working the cap so I don't see it being much of an issue in this case. Hell, who knows, he might not even sign DDk for all we know since Suter filled that D gap.

That "D gap" was bigger than just Suter though, especially when DeKeyser was looking to sign in the NHL. The had lost Rafalski a year prior, and Ian White was not exactly filling his shoes. Then they lost Stuart in the same offseason they would've added Suter. By the time DeKeyser was ready to sign, White was basically banished to the doghouse, and Smith and Quincey had underwhelmed when they were expected to take up spots in the top 4.

Since DeKeyser probably would've signed in Detroit regardless, they likely still go after him, and the next year Kindl and Smith get pushed down the depth chart and Lashoff never spends a full season on an NHL roster.

And as far as making the money work, when Suter and Parise signed in Minnesota, the Wings still had something like $17M in cap space (again, after signing Gustavsson, Tootoo and Samuelsson) and only needed to sign Quincey and Abdelkader. IIRC, after Suter and Parise were off the market, a potential "plan B" was to use cap space to try to lure a still unsigned Doan who was still undecided on staying with the Coyotes.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
That "D gap" was bigger than just Suter though, especially when DeKeyser was looking to sign in the NHL. The had lost Rafalski a year prior, and Ian White was not exactly filling his shoes. Then they lost Stuart in the same offseason they would've added Suter. By the time DeKeyser was ready to sign, White was basically banished to the doghouse, and Smith and Quincey had underwhelmed when they were expected to take up spots in the top 4.

Since DeKeyser probably would've signed in Detroit regardless, they likely still go after him, and the next year Kindl and Smith get pushed down the depth chart and Lashoff never spends a full season on an NHL roster.

And as far as making the money work, when Suter and Parise signed in Minnesota, the Wings still had something like $17M in cap space (again, after signing Gustavsson, Tootoo and Samuelsson) and only needed to sign Quincey and Abdelkader. IIRC, after Suter and Parise were off the market, a potential "plan B" was to use cap space to try to lure a still unsigned Doan who was still undecided on staying with the Coyotes.
DDK prob doesn't get the big extension if we had Suter as well. So that means no big extension to DDK, Abby and or Big E??? I'm depressed now.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
I do really like that Chelios texted a picture of a brinks truck though. It's just a funny mental image.

I don't know if this makes me feel better knowing that the Wings literally pulled out all of the stops and damn near stole him away from his decision he already made or worse that everything they had and all the money out there wasn't enough to sway him.

Also, **** Zach Parise.

Reactions: PelagicJoe

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
DDK prob doesn't get the big extension if we had Suter as well. So that means no big extension to DDK, Abby and or Big E??? I'm depressed now.

Actually, with Suter in tow, there's probably no Green signing so DeKeyser still gets a big extension.

And what if the addition of Suter along with Datsyuk helps get a fluke 30 goal season out of Abdelkader and Holland pays him even more... :sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Actually, with Suter in tow, there's probably no Green signing so DeKeyser still gets a big extension.

And what if the addition of Suter along with Datsyuk helps get a fluke 30 goal season out of Abdelkader and Holland pays him even more... :sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:
This makes the non Suter signing more bearable. Thank you.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012

Then we trade a young player and a 1st so Vegas takes his contract. The young player ends up being Andreas Athanasiou who scores 40+ goals for them.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Then we trade a young player and a 1st so Vegas takes his contract. The young player ends up being Andreas Athanasiou who scores 40+ goals for them.

Holland would have to hide, by that point I'm sure Red Wings fans would still be eviscerating him over letting Cleary go to that Flyers camp only to rediscover his game and put up a couple 20 goal seasons. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Reactions: Ingvar

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
I just remember the hype and anticipation around here was crazy. I remember when nick kyperos posted his article saying suter was most likely coming to detroit and then ricelund came in saying the same thing. Everyone around here (including me) thought it was a done deal after that. This article will forever haunt me :laugh: Red Wings frontrunner for Ryan Suter - Sportsnet.ca

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Hindsight being hindsight, glad Suter didn't come here. No promises we win a cup adding him, and no promises we would have landed Larkin. Regardless, we have Larkin now at an awesome cap hit. I'm confident Larkin will have his shots at winning the cup in due time.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Hindsight being hindsight, glad Suter didn't come here. No promises we win a cup adding him, and no promises we would have landed Larkin. Regardless, we have Larkin now at an awesome cap hit. I'm confident Larkin will have his shots at winning the cup in due time.

I wouldn't count on that yet. Better players than Larkin have gone entire careers without shots at winning a cup.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
So many what ifs...

one-human-spice-latte-please-dddod-meanwhile-in-an-alternative-4963684.png

Reactions: waltdetroit

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Guentzel, Murray can't even "promise" getting to the conference finals. I'd still rather have all of them on my team.

The Tampa Bay Lightning are *destroying* the league right now. It's still more likely they don't win the Cup than win it. I'd still rather have their team. They're still far better than us with a far better chance at winning.

I just want the best chance at winning. If landing Suter did that (and it would have) then that's what I wanted. I don't need promises or guarantees. There are no such things in life. It's about probabilities.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Ha, I'd actually enjoy that...

I got a kick out of Russo putting in a bunch of disclaimers saying (paraphrasing here): Parise and Suter didn't plan to land anywhere together!

And then there is like 80% of the article left detailing how they were speaking at length with each other about where to sign and to convince each other to play for the same team and working out identical contracts, etc. BUT NOTE THIS HAPPENED SOMETIME ON JULY 2ND!

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Guentzel, Murray can't even "promise" getting to the conference finals. I'd still rather have all of them on my team.

The Tampa Bay Lightning are *destroying* the league right now. It's still more likely they don't win the Cup than win it. I'd still rather have their team. They're still far better than us with a far better chance at winning.

I just want the best chance at winning. If landing Suter did that (and it would have) then that's what I wanted. I don't need promises or guarantees. There are no such things in life. It's about probabilities.

I don't like Suter's contract. And Wings were already on a major downslide when they were chasing Suter and it was apparent a rebuild (not retool) was soon needing to happen. I think Holland (and soon Yzerman) have an opportunity to become perennial contenders again. I'm not so sure if they had signed Suter that would happen before I go to a nursing home, and I don't think nursing homes have the NHL network.

I find the Red Wings to be an exciting young up-and-coming team. Despite being bottom 5, I haven't enjoyed watching hockey this much since about 2010.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad