Confirmed with Link: The real Suter/Parise story

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
We've speculated for years on what happened behind closed doors. It's pretty cool to see it laid out here. This is how "Ricelund" was born!

Halfway into Parise-Suter deals, here's the full story of...

Some fun quotes:

Ryan suddenly got a text message from Chris Chelios with a picture of a Brinks truck with the comment, “We’ve arrived and we’re driving to the meeting.” I said, “Do not change your mind!”

Ryan’s intentions may have been to sign with Minnesota at that point. I don’t know that. But nothing was done. You’re talking to a lawyer. Nothing’s done until it’s done. There were two negotiations that still needed to take place and there were no parameters yet. So yes, while I believe Ryan and Zach had already decided to sign with Minnesota, it wasn’t confirmed yet and we met with Detroit. Ryan almost had tears in his eyes in the meeting. They gave him a Detroit “Suter” jersey. Detroit was a valid place for him to go. My guess is if Ryan and Zach didn’t get together that Detroit was probably the place Ryan was going to end up. That was my read on it. Detroit was a close second.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
suter wanted to go to minny before FA had even started, at least that was his first option (it's in the article).

that and what ricelund mentioned, were really the only new pieces of info in the article.

and apparently going into FA it wasn't about parise and suter going into the same team, they didn't plan for that but monitored each other somewhat loosely, checking on what was going on with my buddy who was also FA.. not sure if i buy that.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
look at it this way. if we had landed Suter, we prob wouldn't have landed Larkin.

but we might have landed another cup between 2013-2015, maybe datsyuk and babcock stick around longer

unlikely, but possible

too much would have changed to really speculate

Last edited:
Reactions: KJoe88

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
But how specifically was Ricelund born? What did you hear and when? Are you an airport attendant in Madison?
A few days before UFA started that year, I'd heard from a very reliable source that Suter was going to sign with the Wings. I messaged the mods about it and they let me post it since I'd been posting on HF for so long. I said if I was wrong I'd change my username to Ricelund. The rest is history!

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
A few days before UFA started that year, I'd heard from a very reliable source that Suter was going to sign with the Wings. I messaged the mods about it and they let me post it since I'd been posting on HF for so long. I said if I was wrong I'd change my username to Ricelund. The rest is history!
YOU JINXED US!!!

Reactions: H3ckt1k

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI

Well, we all know that part! I’m talking behind the scenes like the article!

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Odds are that wouldn't have happened. In the shorten season both Datsyuk and Zetterberg were a ppg and Brunner and Cleary were beasts in the playoffs.

There is no way you can put odds on it. Suter bounces a puck off the boards and it hits both Z and Dats in the junk putting them on the LTIR for the whole season. Point is there is no way you can put odds on this hypothetical.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
There is no way you can put odds on it. Suter bounces a puck off the boards and it hits both Z and Dats in the junk putting them on the LTIR for the whole season. Point is there is no way you can put odds on this hypothetical.
of course you can. Its more likely the Wings would have continued making the playoffs than some freak accident injuring the 2 best players. Of course anything can happen but that doesn't mean someone can't make a common sense hypothetical. Chances are, that team still plays well against the West and continues to make the playoffs. How far they go is a different story. I do think they beat the Hawks with Suter on the team though.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
of course you can. Its more likely the Wings would have continued making the playoffs than some freak accident injuring the 2 best players. Of course anything can happen but that doesn't mean someone can't make a common sense hypothetical. Chances are, that team still plays well against the West and continues to make the playoffs. How far they go is a different story. I do think they beat the Hawks with Suter on the team though.

Again, you don't know that. It is as likely he comes into Detroit and doesn't fit in well. Add to it his cap hit would have handcuffed Detroit making any type of moves in the off season. Remember, he would have cost Detroit 7-8 million a season. The team would be fundamentally different with 7-8 million less dollars in cap space. So, its not like 'here's the team +Suter!' its here's the team +Suter -7 million in other contracts.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Again, you don't know that. It is as likely he comes into Detroit and doesn't fit in well. Add to it his cap hit would have handcuffed Detroit making any type of moves in the off season. Remember, he would have cost Detroit 7-8 million a season. The team would be fundamentally different with 7-8 million less dollars in cap space. So, its not like 'here's the team +Suter!' its here's the team +Suter -7 million in other contracts.
They prob wouldn't have signed Colaiacovo for 5 Mil. Not sure if he was signed before but im assuming he was signed after Suter signed with Minny. Also, im going with the average here. Great players usually make teams better. Just because something can happen, doesn't mean it will. Therefore, to make predictions, you go with past experience (Wings hadn't missed the playoffs in about 2 decades at that time) and what we know. We do know the team was good enough without Suter, so one can make the assumption they would be as good if not better with Suter.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
They prob wouldn't have signed Colaiacovo for 5 Mil. Not sure if he was signed before but im assuming he was signed after Suter signed with Minny. Also, im going with the average here. Great players usually make teams better. Just because something can happen, doesn't mean it will. Therefore, to make predictions, you go with past experience (Wings hadn't missed the playoffs in about 2 decades at that time) and what we know. We do know the team was good enough without Suter, so one can make the assumption they would be as good if not better with Suter.

Colaiacovo was signed for 2 years total 5 million. That leaves you 4.5 to 5.5 million still in the red.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
They prob also don't sign Tootoo and Samuleson. All 3 of which made zero impact on the team that year.

That barely gets you to them icing a team (that looks to be a forward short) in the year following the signing, what about every other year? You're talking about a huge cap hit, on a team that has been spending the cap every year.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
That barely gets you to them icing a team (that looks to be a forward short) in the year following the signing, what about every other year? You're talking about a huge cap hit, on a team that has been spending the cap every year.
Go ask Ken Holland that. His plan was to sign Suter and make the money work properly. He's always done a good job working the cap so I don't see it being much of an issue in this case. Hell, who knows, he might not even sign DDk for all we know since Suter filled that D gap.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

I had the same news from people around the organization.

The Wings were stunned when he didn't come. They really were, they still are when you talk to some of them.

I honestly think it hurt some of their swagger with UFAs since.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

I think having to work payroll around another Norris caliber blueliner is a problem Holland would have gladly taken on.

Reactions: jkutswings

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
I genuinely believe we would have had a really good shot at another cup with a Datsyuk and Zetterberg lineup still. Suter would’ve been big because Kronner was still an excellent top guy at the time and our defense wasn’t completely in shambles despite Lidstrom not there.

I mean, they havent had the best success in Minnesota. Sure they’re rich asf but the plan was to win cups there. I still remember how hyped Minnesota fans we’re (rightfully so) hut I do believe they could’ve had more success here. And if they did sign here we maybe could’ve lured more UFAs here.

But we did get Larkin so yes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad