Speculation: The race for 97 points AKA the playoff push thread.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
People are giving the Canes too much credit with their lousy offense and nobody goalies. They'll be gone in 5 games in round 1. I want them to keep winning just enough to finish 2 or 3 with us getting the other spot. I think we may be better off with the Pens over the Caps but its a tough call. Pens are much softer and I think our 4th line would get their guys off their game as it did back in 2013. Also their D is not as good as Washington.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Isles do the same, I think we have 3 playoff teams and 3 non playoff teams the rest of the way and could easily see a 2-0-1 record vs playoff teams and 1-2 record vs non playoff.
Well, except for Toronto. We try to play down to their level but just can't seem to manage it and end up winning by several goals.

hqdefault.jpg

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
How is anyone a big enough fan of the Islanders to be on a forum about it but not understand the playoff format at this point? I'm honestly asking anyone who doesn't know what the format is, because it's been this way long enough now for people to already know it and I've seen far too many people not know what it is this year. It's been this way since 2013-14...

The Islanders would play Pittsburgh if the playoffs started today.
I read this before checking who wrote it and just knew it was the almighty PK Cronin. Do you stare at yourself in the mirror too?

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Well, except for Toronto. We try to play down to their level but just can't seem to manage it and end up winning by several goals.

Yeah, but we only beat them because their backup was in net and those games were our Stanley cup and they don’t play well on days ending in “y” and Jupiter wasn’t aligned properly with the rest of the cosmos

24diving

Apr 5, 2013
suffolk, long island
So we have to cheer for the rags tonight? Ewwww
And I guess Florida as well, so if we meet Toronto in the ECF we can have home ice? And , well, because it’s Toronto :laugh:

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
And I guess Florida as well, so if we meet Toronto in the ECF we can have home ice? And , well, because it’s Toronto :laugh:

If Toronto beats both Boston and Tampa I'll buy someone on this forum a house

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
No chance in hell we’ll play Toronto in the ECF because they’re going to get absolutely destroyed in the first round. Bruins in 5. JT will have plenty of time to slither around his pool this summer.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Yeah, but we only beat them because their backup was in net and those games were our Stanley cup and they don’t play well on days ending in “y” and Jupiter wasn’t aligned properly with the rest of the cosmos

Yea, can't wait to see the excuse roledex if we happen to beat them again:

It's April Fools Day, nobody took this game seriously.

Our terrible cap structure required us to get an absolute trash back-up goalie and cost us a number of points in the standings that maybe would have given us the 2 seed, but we've all concluded that the games he plays in don't count anyway.

The Isles fans hurt our players feelings by mercilessly and classlessly booing them, which is in no way shape or form similar to when we boo them all the time.

We haven't had enough time to schedule a holiday after one of our players got a boo boo on his ego.

The Isles were motivated for their Stanley Cup and our team didn't have nearly as much to play for, despite of course, the ridiculous media frenzy around it and the fact that it's two playoff teams going at it. Oh, and it mattered so much to one of our players and his teammates that we created a holiday after playing so poorly in it. You know, because it was meaningless.

We have an injury to a player who, before he was injured, was booed as a disgrace to our team and the reason for all of our losing, but now it's very clear that we are losing because he's out.

The Leafs are stuck in their playoff spot, so nobody is trying.

The ice at Nassau is so bad and benefits the undertalented Isles and hurts the ubertalented off-season Stanley Cup champs.

The Leafs are in the middle of a 3 games in 4 nights stretch, which even though every other team plays a schedule like this and the first time we got shutout by the Isles we were both on back to backs, our team is tired and these bunched up games don't count.

Hmmm... I should create a bingo card.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Rangers up 2-1 on the Pens. It’s amazing how much better the Rangers’ PP looks than the Islanders’.

WagnerGrad96

Mar 30, 2016
West Islip, New York
I was sincerely asking, because you're not the only person on here who wasn't aware of the playoff situation. It's just bizarre to me that a hardcore fan, and I consider just about everyone willing to sign up for a forum dedicated to a sport/team a hardcore fan, wouldn't know something so basic as what the playoff format is after six years of the format. Is it just the old habits type of thing?

It came across as calling me a moron. I've been called worse. I'll make sure I am thoroughly studied up on any topic I might possibly post about from now on.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
It came across as calling me a moron. I've been called worse. I'll make sure I am thoroughly studied up on any topic I might possibly post about from now on.
I can see how it could read that way, but it wasn't meant that way. My bad.

And you're a Wagner grad from the best town on the island, definitely not a moron.;)

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I was sincerely asking, because you're not the only person on here who wasn't aware of the playoff situation. It's just bizarre to me that a hardcore fan, and I consider just about everyone willing to sign up for a forum dedicated to a sport/team a hardcore fan, wouldn't know something so basic as what the playoff format is after six years of the format. Is it just the old habits type of thing?

To be honest, I don't know the format anymore off the top of my head. Some of it comes down to me just not caring about seeding if the Islanders aren't in (which is more often than not). I don't think it's a lack of intelligence or die-hardism. It's more just I don't really pay attention to possible outcomes. I just hope the team wins every game they play and I'll find out who they play in the playoffs when the NHL tells me. On the flip side, I wouldn't come in posting who they would play without looking it up first, lol. It's just a quick trip to NHL.com to figure it out. Again though, I couldn't tell you how the format works if you asked me.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
The format sucks anyways, but Isles can`t do anything about it. The truth is that Isles needs to find a way to beat the Pens and/or Caps without homeice I fear.

Been that way for a long time. I think I’d rather have Pitts this yr but still a huge mountain to overcome either way. Imagine hoping for Sid in the first round. I think we get Wash as WC1. Will be a fun series if it happens.

norwegianislander

May 9, 2009
Hamar, Norway
Been that way for a long time. I think I’d rather have Pitts this yr but still a huge mountain to overcome either way. Imagine hoping for Sid in the first round. I think we get Wash as WC1. Will be a fun series if it happens.

I know. I still don`t want any part of Crosby and Pittsburgh. Letang, Malkin and Crosby seems to love playing the Islanders. Washington will be a huge mountain like you say and I dont think we are getting out of the 1 round against either of them.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I know. I still don`t want any part of Crosby and Pittsburgh. Letang, Malkin and Crosby seems to love playing the Islanders. Washington will be a huge mountain like you say and I dont think we are getting out of the 1 round against either of them.
I still think we can finish first. Win 3 of the next 4 and there's a good chance the last game against WAS will be for first place.

And if we do end up playing PIT, having home ice would be huge. Even if it is just a psychological advantage.

Reactions: doublechili

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I still think we can finish first. Win 3 of the next 4 and there's a good chance the last game against WAS will be for first place.

And if we do end up playing PIT, having home ice would be huge. Even if it is just a psychological advantage.

Soooooooo... you're saying we'll actually score again before the end of the regular season?:)

Nah, but I do like the optimism!

Sure hope the team can muster up enough to make that last game very meaningful.

Would also be a big boost to enter the playoffs having won a few games.

Last edited:

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Looking at the remaining games, I'd normally think Winnipeg might take its foot off the gas pedal, but they have Nashville breathing down their neck for 1st in the division and they're at home. Gotta think they'll be very motivated.

Buffalo has kind hit ground zero in recent weeks. Sure hope it stays that way this weekend. I sure am glad the game will be at home for this one! Pounce on that defense and the Sabres are bound to make mistakes.

I'm also glad Toronto will be coming here. Still, right now, I've got that feeling we'll see Andersen in goal and there'll be a different feel to the game. Sure hope our home crowd will be a difference maker again.

Seeing FLA lost 7-5 and then 6-1 has me thinking that we should be MUCH more motivated to win that game than they are. Then again, we traditionally have a tough go of it in Florida.

And lastly, if Washington has the division wrapped up by the last game, and we've ensured ourselves a PO spot by then, it could be a very tame and careful game. If we're just fighting for a PO spot whatsoever and Washington is safe, I say we take this one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad