The Prospects Thread XXIII - Stats, Lists in OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
intrigued by this. Anyone know how he has been playing?

Still really waiting for the Canucks to sign Mcnalley and Subban.

Isn't McNally done now and eligible to be signed?

Harvard won its conference championship, thus securing a berth in the national tournament, so no, McNally isn't done.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Jared McCann and Brendan Gaunce - can they become as good as Bo Horvat?

For those that follow the Canucks prospects closely, I was wondering if guys think if McCann and/or Gaunce have a realistic chance of being almost as good as Bo Horvat (or even as good or better).

My 'gut' feeling says that Gaunce likely won't be as he just doesn't have the offensive pedigree of Bo Horvat (although defensively, Gaunce is quite stellar), and that Gaunce will likely be a very good bottom 6 forward.

However, I've heard that McCann could be a real 'wildcard' and he just may end up being an excellent two-way center.

The reason why I ask all this, is because I wonder what the Canucks' depth down the middle will be like once the Sedin's retire.

If the Canucks are unsuccessful in drafting/signing/trading for a franchise center, then my hope is a 1-2 punch of Horvat-McCann at some point down the road, can be similar to that of Boston's Bergeron/Krejicki, in that, while neither player is your prototypical "franchise centers," both players would be extremely close to that level and as result, the team as a whole would be considered to be "very deep" down the middle (and in our case, maybe a guy like Brendan Gaunce moves back to center and becomes an excellent 3rd line shut down center).

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Utica Comets signed (F) Joseph LaBate to a PTO #AHL

I had written him off based purely on his lack of production, but then someone (probably nuxfan09) posted his production relative to his teammates and it gave me some hope. That and the fact he continued growing and growing so he might still be developing his coordination. With his size, he's interesting as a potential bottom 6 guy if nothing else. Doubt he gets in the lineup for more than a game when everything is clinched, but glad they are taking a look to see how he compares vs pros even if just in practice.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
I had written him off based purely on his lack of production, but then someone (probably nuxfan09) posted his production relative to his teammates and it gave me some hope. That and the fact he continued growing and growing so he might still be developing his coordination. With his size, he's interesting as a potential bottom 6 guy if nothing else. Doubt he gets in the lineup for more than a game when everything is clinched, but glad they are taking a look to see how he compares vs pros even if just in practice.

Yeah, I discussed a bit about him a while back in this thread. He's the kind of player who you have to hold back on writing off, given his situation. Wisconsin was a terrible team this year - one of the worst in the entire NCAA - and had one of the worst (maybe THE worst) goal differentials in the NCAA. He's big, he plays with grit, and he took on a leadership role for Wisconsin this year.

Signing a PTO with Utica is absolutely perfect. He maybe hasn't quite done enough to warrant committing a contract slot to but he's done enough that you don't just throw him away either.

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
2-1 Denver over BC after 1
Interesting conversation on the 2-1 goal as the post might have been off
What interested me most was if Demko pushing the post off allowed the better angle for the guy to score the goal, cause there was basically no room whatsoever

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Demko is officially done for the year, as Boston College fell to Denver 5-2 in the East Regional semifinal game. He finished with 23 saves on 27 shots.

Thatcher Demko - 2014-15 statistics (regular season + HEA playoffs)

34 GP, 19-12-3, 2.14 GAA, .927 Save%, 1 shutout

NCAA tournament

1 GP, 0-1-0, 4.03 GAA, .852 Save%, 0 shutouts

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Impressive season by Demko whom only turned 19 four months ago. His college career is emulating Schnieders performance.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

This is an interesting development....had sort of written off LeBate as well, based on his numbers at Wisconsin, but the team was baaad this year.....guy has the size and decent skater....encouraging that they're least taking a look to see what he can do against AHL competition.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market

For those that follow the Canucks prospects closely, I was wondering if guys think if McCann and/or Gaunce have a realistic chance of being almost as good as Bo Horvat (or even as good or better).

My 'gut' feeling says that Gaunce likely won't be as he just doesn't have the offensive pedigree of Bo Horvat (although defensively, Gaunce is quite stellar), and that Gaunce will likely be a very good bottom 6 forward.

However, I've heard that McCann could be a real 'wildcard' and he just may end up being an excellent two-way center.

The reason why I ask all this, is because I wonder what the Canucks' depth down the middle will be like once the Sedin's retire.

If the Canucks are unsuccessful in drafting/signing/trading for a franchise center, then my hope is a 1-2 punch of Horvat-McCann at some point down the road, can be similar to that of Boston's Bergeron/Krejicki, in that, while neither player is your prototypical "franchise centers," both players would be extremely close to that level and as result, the team as a whole would be considered to be "very deep" down the middle (and in our case, maybe a guy like Brendan Gaunce moves back to center and becomes an excellent 3rd line shut down center).

It's already pretty hard to get a grip on how good Horvat will be. Let's say Horvat becomes a elite shutdown center. Horvat will be playing on the second line playing against the toughest compittion. My guess would be that Gaunce would play on the 3rd line, McCann though is an interesting case. Jared could become a Krejci type. He could also become a Kesler type.

Personally, I don't think it really maters. My guess is that we'll be in the dumpster once the Sedins retire and getting a top 3 pick. Hopefully that top 3 pick becomes a franchise center.

McCann will be at training camp/pre-season. My guess is he'll be one of the last forwards to get cut. He might even get 9 games and my bet is that he'll make team canada WJC next year as well.

A good goal for McCann would be to hit 1.8~2.0PPG in junior if he does want to become that #1c. Which might be harder because a lot of overagers might leave that team, also Ritchie might make the ducks next year.

Also, I wanted to add that McCann needs to work on his phyiscal game. The guy is soft as a marshmallow kind of like Vey. There's still room for him to grow in that area, but right now for him to make the NHL he needs to put on some weight and be willing to go into the dirty areas without getting absolutely beat up.

Last edited:

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
SSM up 3-0, near the end of the first. What a juggernaut

Edit- 4-0 now, McCann with an assist. 3 of their 4 goals on the powerplay.

Last edited:

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver

I think Jared McCann is going to be a big part of the Canucks. He will definitely be a top 6 player. But he will probably be a 3C like the Pavelski situation in SJ back in the days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad