Prospect Info: The Prospect Thread

jballa95

Aug 18, 2013
OHL Announces 2017-18 Coaches Poll Winners – Ontario Hockey League

Jason Robertson very well represented in the Coaches Poll for the OHL.

2nd in Smartest Player
3rd in Most Dangerous in Goal Area
3rd in Best Shot
3rd in Best Shootout Shooter

His teammate Linus Nyman was picked as the second most underrated player in the league. A guy I have liked for a while, would be nice to pick him up in the later rounds.

Reactions: Kcb12345

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Kyle Connor with his 25th tonight! Oh wait...

EDIT: Oh damn Barzal with his 70 point! In Nill we trust!

Last edited:

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017

2nd in Smartest Player
3rd in Best Shot

His teammate Linus Nyman was picked as the second most underrated player in the league. A guy I have liked for a while, would be nice to pick him up in the later rounds.[/QUOTE can’t understand how nyman isn’t ranked as a first rounder .
cant understand how nyman isn’t ranked as a first rounder

Last edited:

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven

2nd in Smartest Player
3rd in Best Shot

His teammate Linus Nyman was picked as the second most underrated player in the league. A guy I have liked for a while, would be nice to pick him up in the later rounds.
I look forward to Robertson getting a chance to make the team in five years.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Robertson has torn up the OHL two seasons in a row. Why not give him a look in the NHL next season? They are in desperate need for offense, and 19 year old players are scoring in the NHL.

Take a look at another example. The Blackhawks had Alex DeBrincat tear up the OHL last season. He was a second round pick the season before Robertson. He made the jump to the NHL this season and has had a great rookie season. It can be done.

jballa95

Aug 18, 2013
Robertson has torn up the OHL two seasons in a row. Why not give him a look in the NHL next season? They are in desperate need for offense, and 19 year old players are scoring in the NHL.

Take a look at another example. The Blackhawks had Alex DeBrincat tear up the OHL last season. He was a second round pick the season before Robertson. He made the jump to the NHL this season and has had a great rookie season. It can be done.

Very different players other than their impressive shots. But I agree, I'd like to see Robertson play the first 5 - 10 games next season, and see if he sticks. His shot and hockey IQ would have been helpful these past few weeks.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Agreed. We should have room on the roster for him in 18-19 so there is no reason why he shouldn't get a look. Enough with the AHL purgatory our young guys get put in.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017

We would all love that, but there is absolutely no chance of this happening with Jim Nill has our GM. A forward that isn't 22 years old? Absolutely no way. It's forbidden. He needs to play in the AHL for 4 years first. When Ritchie is 28 then maybe Robertson can come play that 4th line spot right? Because god forbid we put a youngster in the top 6 to give him a legit chance. He may even succeed so that would be an issue

Reactions: Vesna

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
He should have a chance to be a Janmark, and be the surprise of training camp and making the team, if he plays well. Looks like a left shooting RW. Not like we couldn't have a wide open race there, for the spots behind Rads, or even on the LW behind Benn, and Janmark assuming Roussel is gone.

Azzuri

Feb 6, 2017
Isn't it his overage year in the OHL? Let's not get ahead of ourselves, he SHOULD be dominating. Pro game and juniors is much much different.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
We would all love that, but there is absolutely no chance of this happening with Jim Nill has our GM. A forward that isn't 22 years old? Absolutely no way. It's forbidden. He needs to play in the AHL for 4 years first. When Ritchie is 28 then maybe Robertson can come play that 4th line spot right? Because god forbid we put a youngster in the top 6 to give him a legit chance. He may even succeed so that would be an issue
Valeri Nichushkin

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
The worst part about the Gurianov/Barzal/Connor thing is they thought they were smarter than everyone else. If you take Guri before Barzal and Connor are consensus higher picks you are saying I trust in the Stars scouting more than I do everyone else combined, and they were wrong with that pick and have been wrong for most of their other picks in in the Nill era. Ugh..

I'd be curious to see how the Stars prospect pool would be if the highest ranked player was taken at the time instead.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
The worst part about the Gurianov/Barzal/Connor thing is they thought they were smarter than everyone else. If you take Guri before Barzal and Connor are consensus higher picks you are saying I trust in the Stars scouting more than I do everyone else combined, and they were wrong with that pick and have been wrong for most of their other picks in in the Nill era. Ugh..

I'd be curious to see how the Stars prospect pool would be if the highest ranked player was taken at the time instead.
Just the 1st round would be
2013 Valeri Nichushkin & Zykov
2014 Robbi Fabbri
2015 Mathew Barzal
2016 Riley Tufte (quite a bit of variance some have him as high as 17 others don't list him in the top 30)
2017 Miro Heiskanen & Eeli Tolvanen

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017

Who ever has a better training camp out of guryanov/Robertson /hintz should be on the team . There’s no way there gonna bring Robertson up if he’s not doing anything during training camp/pre season . Just because he’s doing well against kids in the ohl doesn’t mean it will translate to the nhl. There are tons of players who score like that in juniors but never make the big league . Remember Scott glennie had 91 pits in 70 games in juniors.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
Who ever has a better training camp out of guryanov/Robertson /hintz should be on the team . There’s no way there gonna bring Robertson up if he’s not doing anything during training camp/pre season . Just because he’s doing well against kids in the ohl doesn’t mean it will translate to the nhl. There are tons of players who score like that in juniors but never make the big league . Remember Scott glennie had 91 pits in 70 games in juniors.

Robertson's performance is far superior to Scott Glennie's. In Robertson's draft year , he had 30 more points than the 2nd highest scorer on the Fronts. In Scott Glennie's draft year, he was fifth on team scoring--18 points behind the leading scorer on the team.

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
Weren’t most of us pretty happy with this last draft? Is it enough to feel Nill has seen the error of his ways? Or merely a product of high selections?

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Weren’t most of us pretty happy with this last draft? Is it enough to feel Nill has seen the error of his ways? Or merely a product of high selections?

I was happy with it, though I get people not liking the drafting of Oettinger with Point already in the prospect pipe and ahead of forwards (a desperate need) like Tolvanen and Lind who were available.

Ultimately that late in the first round is crap shoot.

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011

I was pretty pleased with the 2017 draft at the time, still hard to say how it ends up. Hard to blame Nill for not picking Tolvanen when pretty much every team passed on him. Nill ended up with the top dman, top G prospect, and a top quality forward with the first 3 picks so hard to complain about that until we see how they develop.

Most of the hate comes from the absolute trainwreck that was the 2014 draft especially if Honka can't progress, and for 2015 passing on Barzal/Conner to draft Gurianov. 2016 might be too early to tell, but Point/Caamano seem like great value picks and Tufte/Karlstrom will have to wait and see.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Karlstrom, just looking at raw totals looks to be pretty bad. 2 goals in 35 games? I know it's a top league but yikes.

Caamano's goal total took a sharp drop this year since his trade, but I'm not going to be pretend I watch any OHL games to say why. He looks to be on a pretty deep offensive team so maybe there are only so many goals to go around (his APG has gone up). But he was a 5th rounder after all so if he even makes the NHL, that is a bonus.

jballa95

Aug 18, 2013
Just the 1st round would be
2013 Valeri Nichushkin & Zykov
2014 Robbi Fabbri
2015 Mathew Barzal
2016 Riley Tufte (quite a bit of variance some have him as high as 17 others don't list him in the top 30)
2017 Miro Heiskanen & Eeli Tolvanen
Last years draft was definitely the best, but it helped having the 3 overall pick. And no one expected Tolvanen or even Pettersson to have the years they had. My rule is in the first round in the half, you have to take heavy consideration for how the standard rankings rank players because those players have been watched by so many scouts, so you HAVE to take everyone's say into consideration. The later rounds is when you can take your own scouts opinion as far as you want to, and hope to find a diamond in the rough.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
cant understand how nyman isn’t ranked as a first rounder
Small + already went undrafted once.

He should have been drafted last year and will get drafted this year but it will be a mid to late pick thanks to those 2 things

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad