Prospect Info: The Prospect Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
A little off-topic, but do you have any sense for why Bellerive went undrafted last year? His draft-year numbers seemed not bad and Central Scouting had him pegged 82nd among NA skaters, so it’s not like he was totally off the radar. And obviously he’s blown up this year.

These things happen, obviously, but it’s still going to be a little bit irksome if the Penguins ended up signing a Vancouver kid who turns into something.

It was surprising. Seemed like a guy who should have been a 3rd-4th rounder. I don't know any reason more than his height for why he fell.

Went to Pittsburgh's camp in September and shredded it and got a contract and is now a top-end prospect. If his birthday was Oct 1/99 instead of May 1/99 he'd be the top WHL forward for this draft and a projected first-round pick. Pro skater, pro shot, and plays with edge.

I googled NHL.com, HockeyDB and EilteProspects and the 3 sizes I saw were

6’-1” 185 lbs
6’-1” 181 lbs
6’-1” 178 lbs

IDK? Is that small for an 18 year old for today’s NHL? I have also read on many fronts that he is a good skater

You don’t see any possible improvements in size and skating from this 18 year old who is known to be competitive and firey?

Nylander gained over 20 lbs from the day he was drafted to where he is now. This is nothing new seeing teenagers put on men meat when the mature into men.

He's 19 and turns 20 in a few months.

He's not going to be 'on paper' small but he's just not strong on the puck and I don't know how much that's going to change. Like, Sam Gagner and Linden Vey are both listed at 200 lbs. but really both are small/weak players with no physical skills that really 'pop'.

Like I said, he's a good prospect and I'm far from writing him off or anything like that. His IQ and ability to make quick creative passes in the offensive zone to create quality shooting situations is a very nice skill and yeah maybe he does fill out or find an extra gear in his skating. But right now he hasn't and the notion that this guy is a 'steal' or a 'huge riser' is bunk.

ChefBoiRD

Feb 26, 2018
It was surprising. Seemed like a guy who should have been a 3rd-4th rounder. I don't know any reason more than his height for why he fell.

Went to Pittsburgh's camp in September and shredded it and got a contract and is now a top-end prospect. If his birthday was Oct 1/99 instead of May 1/99 he'd be the top WHL forward for this draft and a projected first-round pick. Pro skater, pro shot, and plays with edge.

He's not going to be 'on paper' small but he's just not strong on the puck and I don't know how much that's going to change. Like, Sam Gagner and Linden Vey are both listed at 200 lbs. but really both are small/weak players with no physical skills that really 'pop'.

Like I said, he's a good prospect and I'm far from writing him off or anything like that. His IQ and ability to make quick creative passes in the offensive zone to create quality shooting situations is a very nice skill and yeah maybe he does fill out or find an extra gear in his skating. But right now he hasn't and the notion that this guy is a 'steal' or a 'huge riser' is bunk.

So you’re not pulling for him to fail because he’s a Benning pick? You just want everyone to temper their expectations.

I guess there is the flip side of that “c’mon MS don’t be so glum regarding Lind. Allow us the opportunity to be hopeful and optimistic regarding Linds potential

But anyhow it’s the same argument for every prospect. Time will tell

Reactions: IComeInPeace

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
So you’re not pulling for him to fail because he’s a Benning pick? You just want everyone to temper their expectations.

I guess there is the flip side of that “c’mon MS don’t be so glum regarding Lind. Allow us the opportunity to be hopeful and optimistic regarding Linds potential

The notion that I'm pulling for any prospect to fail because they're a Benning pick is f***ing absurd.

Go see my comments on Pettersson/Palmu/MacEwen/Chatfield if you need more evidence of that.

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver

Embarrassing post as always

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
Assume this means he plays in the AHL next year. Excited to see what he can do. This guy's game is very well suited to the NHL, depsite only being 5'6. Built like a brick **** house.

Did you edit this post? I thought it said something like "this prospect is built for the NHL?"

Yeah, he is an interesting player. Plays a game that would translate and maybe still can. But I chuckled when I read the first part of what I thought was there. I wonder where he would have been drafted had he even been 5' 10".Because it really does look like the boy can play hockey.

I had to go and look. According to NHL.com, there were 2 players who played an NHL game last year at 5' 6" or less. They played a total of 8 games between them.

Nathan Gerbe played 2 games. Is he really 5' 4" Holy crap that is bizarre to think about. (He is listed as having played at 176 lbs). Crazy how thick that must be.

Rocco Grimaldi played 6 games (he weighs 180 lbs, which is more than Palmu is listed at right now- wow do these guys have to get strong to play as little men).

These guys are thick, but crazy how few players of this size make it. Not sure Palmu will either, but fun to watch and hope for the guy. Just a couple of inches more, and the number say it is more possible... but at this height and reach? Not sure....

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
June 1 rapidly approaches. Candella, Stukel, and McKenzie's hopes are fading faster than a snowball in Hades.

Canucks have said they will not be signed, but for them the chance exists until the bell tolls. Doubt they will even get selected when put back into the draft. Looks like UFAs hunting for work at the ECHL level.

Only hope that Benning isn't going to have Utica sign any of them as shots in the dark that he wants to be given playing time a la D'Aoust. OK for Utica contracts and then send them to the ZOO a la Moynihan most recently.

BerSTUzzi

Jan 24, 2006
Kamloops
Did you edit this post? I thought it said something like "this prospect is built for the NHL?"

Yeah, he is an interesting player. Plays a game that would translate and maybe still can. But I chuckled when I read the first part of what I thought was there. I wonder where he would have been drafted had he even been 5' 10".Because it really does look like the boy can play hockey.

I had to go and look. According to NHL.com, there were 2 players who played an NHL game last year at 5' 6" or less. They played a total of 8 games between them.

Nathan Gerbe played 2 games. Is he really 5' 4" Holy crap that is bizarre to think about. (He is listed as having played at 176 lbs). Crazy how thick that must be.

Rocco Grimaldi played 6 games (he weighs 180 lbs, which is more than Palmu is listed at right now- wow do these guys have to get strong to play as little men).

These guys are thick, but crazy how few players of this size make it. Not sure Palmu will either, but fun to watch and hope for the guy. Just a couple of inches more, and the number say it is more possible... but at this height and reach? Not sure....

If he can etch out a Nathan Gerbe career of:

2009-10Buffalo SabresNHL102354121120
2010-11Buffalo SabresNHL641615313411720218
2011-12Buffalo SabresNHL6261925322----------
2012-13Buffalo SabresNHL42551014-3----------
2013-14Carolina HurricanesNHL8116153136-6----------
2014-15Carolina HurricanesNHL7810182834-14----------
2015-16Carolina HurricanesNHL4734714-15----------
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Soooooooo happy with that outcome.

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
If he can etch out a Nathan Gerbe career of:

2009-10Buffalo SabresNHL102354121120
2010-11Buffalo SabresNHL641615313411720218
2011-12Buffalo SabresNHL6261925322----------
2012-13Buffalo SabresNHL42551014-3----------
2013-14Carolina HurricanesNHL8116153136-6----------
2014-15Carolina HurricanesNHL7810182834-14----------
2015-16Carolina HurricanesNHL4734714-15----------
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Soooooooo happy with that outcome.

Yeah, I guess this would make him an NHL player over several years. And an outlier for a player of that size, no doubt. But 58 goals over 7-9 years isn't exactly a exciting player in this league...

I like your word, "etch" out a career. Because I guess that is what a player of this size would have to do...

But not very many players his size can etch out any sort of career obviously. Maybe he is an outlier too and can produce a little more- we will see.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Elite prospects lists him at 5'7"/179 lbs. He's only 20. LIIGA Rookie of the year in a league where "he was playing with men". That quoted piece is frequently used to prove Juolevi's recent season of development was a good one. Does that also apply to Petrus?

Think we have to give this kid a couple pro NA seasons to determine his ceiling. The NHL is becoming a lot easier to play in with a smaller stature. At 179 he is obviously well put together for his height and at 20 can still put on more muscle weight, not flab. Height is another story.

So we have a short, well built, hard working forward and a slight, stick man with high level skills. Physical maturity will have a big say in their final development.
I did just read a quote from Elias saying he really wants to be in the NHL but if some AHL time is necessary, so be it.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
June 1 rapidly approaches. Candella, Stukel, and McKenzie's hopes are fading faster than a snowball in Hades.

Canucks have said they will not be signed, but for them the chance exists until the bell tolls. Doubt they will even get selected when put back into the draft. Looks like UFAs hunting for work at the ECHL level.

Only hope that Benning isn't going to have Utica sign any of them as shots in the dark that he wants to be given playing time a la D'Aoust. OK for Utica contracts and then send them to the ZOO a la Moynihan most recently.
Jimbo and the amateur scouting staff always seem unearth some un-drafted diamonds in the rough every off-season....Chatfield, MacEwan, Carcone and D'Aoust all came in and impressed at prospects development camp, but never drafted. Wouldn't surprise me if there was another one or two guys this season.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Jimbo and the amateur scouting staff always seem unearth some un-drafted diamonds in the rough every off-season....Chatfield, MacEwan, Carcone and D'Aoust all came in and impressed at prospects development camp, but never drafted. Wouldn't surprise me if there was another one or two guys this season.

Most likely destined to be forever in the AHL diamonds. Mac with the only chance of seeing some NHL time, but only if he improves his feet. Don't think you could get anything for 3 of the 4 on the open market.

For the second time it's MacEwen. It's "en" not "an". Easier to follow the developing star if you spell his name correctly.

Strictly my opinion.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It'll be a shock to you, but I think there's a good chance that Chatfield, Palmu, Lind, Gadjovich, Brisebois and MacEw'e'n all play for the Canucks one day...and even if the Comets suck during the regular season, they'll still be considered a 'successful' AHL development team. Just the way it is in the AHL I'm afraid.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
It'll be a shock to you, but I think there's a good chance that Chatfield, Palmu, Lind, Gadjovich, Brisebois and MacEw'e'n all play for the Canucks one day...and even if the Comets suck during the regular season, they'll still be considered a 'successful' AHL development team. Just the way it is in the AHL I'm afraid.

Not art all. The guys I commented on were not those you list here now. You listed Carcone, D'Aoust, Chatfield, and MacEwen. I said MacEwen was the only one with a serious possibility.

Now you add Lind, Gadjovich, Palmu,and Brisebois to Mac and Chatfield.

Chatfield played an entire season and while he managed to keep his head above water, he has along ways o go to become NHL material.

I've already posted numerous evaluations of MacEwen and if you want further depth, go back and find them throughout the season as well as the end of the season evaluations of the team.

Benning, who has never watched Brisebois play a single game in Utica as he didn't make a single appearance here last year, thinks Guillaume had a great season. He is not yet on a level with Sautner or McEneny. Like Chatfield, there is a lot of development to go before Brisebois is NHL material.

Lind played 6 unimpressive games at the end of last season. Was not used in their 5 playoff games because of it. He stated the AHL is much faster and decisions have to be made much quicker and the guys are all bigger and stronger. He knows what he has to do over the summer to be ready for the upcoming season.

Gadjovich and Palmu haven't even played a single AHL game so there isn't any verdict on their play and their NHL appearance is your prediction. That's as close as they are right now.

I'll let you know my first stance on your predictions around Christmas.

It won't shock me if any of them become Canucks if they prove themselves to be NHL material (and those that do rise above the rest). I won't put them there based on your opinion or their draft status or lack thereof, but based on their performance and growth while performing for the Comets. I am looking forward to their presence on the Aud ice in October. If they live up to their clippings, they should be a lot of fun to watch grow.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Jesus Christ, man. If even 2 of those 6 guys ever stick here, that would be an outstanding result.

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
Not art all. The guys I commented on were not those you list here now. You listed Carcone, D'Aoust, Chatfield, and MacEwen. I said MacEwen was the only one with a serious possibility.

Now you add Lind, Gadjovich, Palmu,and Brisebois to Mac and Chatfield.

Chatfield played an entire season and while he managed to keep his head above water, he has along ways o go to become NHL material.

I've already posted numerous evaluations of MacEwen and if you want further depth, go back and find them throughout the season as well as the end of the season evaluations of the team.

Benning, who has never watched Brisebois play a single game in Utica as he didn't make a single appearance here last year, thinks Guillaume had a great season. He is not yet on a level with Sautner or McEneny. Like Chatfield, there is a lot of development to go before Brisebois is NHL material.

Lind played 6 unimpressive games at the end of last season. Was not used in their 5 playoff games because of it. He stated the AHL is much faster and decisions have to be made much quicker and the guys are all bigger and stronger. He knows what he has to do over the summer to be ready for the upcoming season.

Gadjovich and Palmu haven't even played a single AHL game so there isn't any verdict on their play and their NHL appearance is your prediction. That's as close as they are right now.

I'll let you know my first stance on your predictions around Christmas.

It won't shock me if any of them become Canucks if they prove themselves to be NHL material (and those that do rise above the rest). I won't put them there based on your opinion or their draft status or lack thereof, but based on their performance and growth while performing for the Comets. I am looking forward to their presence on the Aud ice in October. If they live up to their clippings, they should be a lot of fun to watch grow.

I would think the stars would have to align for even one of Lind, Gad, Palmu, Carcone, D'Aust, MacEwen to make an appearance next year in the NHL. It is possible that one or more might, but very unlikely IMO.

They all need time, big steps, and some luck along the way to make an appearance.

I am curious though, if you think that Brisebois or Chatfield made strides and are moving toward being a call-up option a la Sautner in the future (i.e. 1-2 years out)? Or do you think they are not tracking well enough to even get a sniff?

lawrence

May 19, 2012
sucks that both Boeser and Pettersson who are our deadly snipers, are wearing casts right now on their wrist right now.

Kel Varnson

Oct 31, 2017
Most likely destined to be forever in the AHL diamonds. Mac with the only chance of seeing some NHL time, but only if he improves his feet. Don't think you could get anything for 3 of the 4 on the open market.

For the second time it's MacEwen. It's "en" not "an". Easier to follow the developing star if you spell his name correctly.

Strictly my opinion.

From what i've heard Chatfield was arguably Utica's best defender down the stretch and into the playoffs. I've seen him be compared to Tanev who was no doubt a surprise to have carved out an NHL career as well.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.

Bellerive was nearly as good as Tyson Jost in the BCHL playoff series I saw them both play in when he was 16. Reminded me a ton of Horvat but really mean. I really wanted us to take him in the late rounds and am not surprised in the least that he has developed in a huge way

Mdamico

Dec 29, 2006
Hey guys! With the Draft less than a month away, I wanted to ask if you think this year's draft will be the last big one for the Canucks en route to completing their rebuild? With Pettersson, Horvat, Boeser, Gaudette, Juolevi, Goldobin, Brisebois and Demko, is that core strong enough going forward for you guys to be comfortable to make the playoffs year-in year out? I'd love to hear your thoughts and here's our look at the Canucks deep prospect pool. Cheers!

The Vancouver Canucks Rebuild: One Piece Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad