Prospect Info: The Prospect Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sleestak Nation

Jul 6, 2009
Land of the Lost
Pettersson has played wing for the last two years and will be playing wing again next year.

Until he actually plays center and shows he can do it, I'm sorry, but he's not a center prospect.

Right now, actually playing the position we have Gaudette and MacEwen and that's it.
To dovetail on this. If he's been having his greatest growth and success on the wing then he should stay there.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
To dovetail on this. If he's been having his greatest growth and success on the wing then he should stay there.

It may happen at some point and it may be a good idea at some point. But when he's essentially going to go 3 years away from the position ... that's tough. Plenty of players - including a guy as good as Taylor Hall - couldn't make the move back.

Reactions: Sleestack

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
Pettersson has played wing for the last two years and will be playing wing again next year.

Until he actually plays center and shows he can do it, I'm sorry, but he's not a center prospect.

Right now, actually playing the position we have Gaudette and MacEwen and that's it.
MacEwen played wing this entire Season. Petterson played more games at center than him

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Not I sure I agree with this....Gaudette is a true center and the eventual plan is to move Pettersson into the middle...and Horvat is still only 22. And there's some indication that with his on-ice vision, the Canucks might try Dahlen in the middle as well. Sure they could still use another young center in their system with some upside, but the current crop really isn't all that bad either.
Why would Dahlen move to a position he’s never played

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Cassels has been playing center the last couple years although his ship has probably sailed as far as being an NHL prospect.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
There’s something to be said about Peterson’s play style pointing towards him being a natural center vs being a winger.

Brendan Gaunce for example had a multiple year long stretch at wing but still proved to be more effective as a center in the NHL.

The only reason why Peterson played wing in the last two years is he was playing ridiculously above his age bracket, I thought everyone was rightfully on board with that as the explanation.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
There’s something to be said about Peterson’s play style pointing towards him being a natural center vs being a winger.

Brendan Gaunce for example had a multiple year long stretch at wing but still proved to be more effective as a center in the NHL.

The only reason why Peterson played wing in the last two years is he was playing ridiculously above his age bracket, I thought everyone was rightfully on board with that as the explanation.
Pettersson wasn't drafted as a 'winger'.....from the start he was projected to be a replacement for Henrik as the de facto first-line center. I get why they'd ease him into the NHL on the wing, but if he wasn't capable of moving into the middle it would be a huge letdown. So the sooner the better imo.

Reactions: jeromemorrow

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA
It may happen at some point and it may be a good idea at some point. But when he's essentially going to go 3 years away from the position ... that's tough. Plenty of players - including a guy as good as Taylor Hall - couldn't make the move back.
Certainly true, but I have hopes that Pettersson's vaunted IQ may factor in.

And needs must.

So, I suspect at some point he'll get a look at center, even if it is a desperation move.

Something this org has long been known for. Sometimes it even works.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Can you guys give me some insight into these Canucks players who made their NHL debut last season? Specifically what type of player they are, if they have an NHL future and what role they project as in the long-term. Thanks!

Adam Gaudette
Thatcher Demko
Ashton Sautner

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Can you guys give me some insight into these Canucks players who made their NHL debut last season? Specifically what type of player they are, if they have an NHL future and what role they project as in the long-term. Thanks!

Adam Gaudette
Thatcher Demko
Ashton Sautner
Gaudette: top 6, potentially 1C if keeps progressing at his crazy rate. Judt keeps on getting better at every level!

Demko hopefully will be our goalie of the future

Sautner we will see, could be mid/bottom pair if continues to accelerate like this

Reactions: Legionnaire11

Kel Varnson

Oct 31, 2017

Adam Gaudette
Thatcher Demko
Ashton Sautner

Adam Gaudette - Didn't really stand out in his small taste of NHL action but began to look more comfortable with each game. Not sure if he starts the season in Vancouver or Utica but based on his college career and skill-set I think he projects as a middle 6 center in the NHL if he continues to progress.

Thatcher Demko - Got hung out to dry in his NHL debut but his progression since being drafted has been very promising. Wouldn't be a surprise if he beats Nillson to the backup job next season. If not he'll start back down in Utica, would be very surprised if he didn't get at least a few games in the NHL next season.

Ashton Sautner - Really only played due to the amount of injuries we had on the blueline. Didn't really stand out in a positive or negative way. With the amount of bodies the Canucks have on defence he'd need to either play out of his mind in pre-season/training camp or wait for another string of injuries to get some more NHL time. Not really sure if he's anything more than a depth defenceman.

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
Gaudette: top 6, potentially 1C if keeps progressing at his crazy rate. Judt keeps on getting better at every level!

Demko hopefully will be our goalie of the future

Sautner we will see, could be mid/bottom pair if continues to accelerate like this
Did you actually watch him play or are just being a wide-eyed optomist????
He was meh.......1C - hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Adam Gaudette
Thatcher Demko
Ashton Sautner

Gaudette is a good prospect who may have a chance to be the #2 center here this year. Or may be in Utica. Was a bit disappointing in his late-season look and skating may be an issue.

Demko is a top-5 goaltending prospect in hockey and should be the backup here next year. However, we have a crap backup on a terrible contract in Nilsson that may frustratingly force Demko back to the AHL.

Sautner was a nothing prospect until last year when he had a solid (but still statistically unimpressive) year as a 2nd pairing AHL guy. Then got called up at the end of the year and looked surprisingly good - better than 3-4 of our 'regular' guys. Not much upside but might have a chance of sticking as a low-event 3rd pairing type.

Reactions: Legionnaire11

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
People tend to forget that Sautner wasn't even a drafted player.....and a free-agent junior even playing a single game in the NHL has to be considered a major achievement. Canucks have lots of them---MacEwen, Chatfield, McEneny and Carcone....in fact the UFA junior signings have turned out a lot better than most of their 6-7th round draft picks.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
People tend to forget that Sautner wasn't even a drafted player.....and a free-agent junior even playing a single game in the NHL has to be considered a major achievement. Canucks have lots of them---MacEwen, Chatfield, McEneny and Carcone....in fact the UFA junior signings have turned out a lot better than most of their 6-7th round draft picks.

It makes pretty good sense that the overage UFAs would have a better rate of becoming system depth than 6/7 rounders because a) to acquire them they have to sign them to a contract and b) they're being signed at 20 rather than 17.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
With Petterson’s one-timer he might be better on the wing anyways. I never really considered him a Henrik replacement but I’m more exited about his scoring potential over playmaking.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
He played like 15 games of center this season and performed well.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Unless the Canucks hit a home-run in free-agency, or unless Adam Gaudette comes roaring out of the gate, they're not going to have a lot of choice but to move Pettersson into the middle sooner rather than later. Otherwise, Horvat is the No. 1 center by default and Sutter gets elevated to No. 2.....that's a recipe for 'lottery-land' to be sure.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Has Pettersson expressed his desire to play centre? If that's where the kid wants to play, and the Nucks view him as a centre, play him there but insulate him older players.

Hell, maybe the kid can be a miracle worker and produce with Eriksson on his wing.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Has Pettersson expressed his desire to play centre? If that's where the kid wants to play, and the Nucks view him as a centre, play him there but insulate him older players.

Hell, maybe the kid can be a miracle worker and produce with Eriksson on his wing.

I'd try that. Rather than protecting him by playing him on the wing, do so by playing him with the right wingers and trying to give him easier match-ups.

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
There's a good chance EP will see shifts at C in certain situations in any given game - even if he gets listed at RW

not too concerned about him being pigeonholed

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
Gaudette is a good prospect who may have a chance to be the #2 center here this year. Or may be in Utica. Was a bit disappointing in his late-season look and skating may be an issue.

Demko is a top-5 goaltending prospect in hockey and should be the backup here next year. However, we have a crap backup on a terrible contract in Nilsson that may frustratingly force Demko back to the AHL.

Sautner was a nothing prospect until last year when he had a solid (but still statistically unimpressive) year as a 2nd pairing AHL guy. Then got called up at the end of the year and looked surprisingly good - better than 3-4 of our 'regular' guys. Not much upside but might have a chance of sticking as a low-event 3rd pairing type.

gaudette 2c this year? big call

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->