Prospect Info: The Prospect Thread (Part XXXIII)

Status
Not open for further replies.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Zhukenov, Neil, Jasek, and Olson comes up nothing in 2 yrs
Stuke, Abols, and McKenzie (honestly he should go on Valk road) on a same path with Candella's regressed yr

at least first high few picks are on a right track
there r too much bodies going to bust status already and they havent even tested in the pro level yet
the Utica team is going to suffer from lack of depth esp in forward yet again

So depressing they all looked so promising. Bennings picks looked good soon after he made em but thats a lot a failures in the late rounds outside of Gaudette. Poop :(

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Zhukenov, Neil, Jasek, and Olson comes up nothing in 2 yrs
Stuke, Abols, and McKenzie (honestly he should go on Valk road) on a same path with Candella's regressed yr

at least first high few picks are on a right track
there r too much bodies going to bust status already and they havent even tested in the pro level yet
the Utica team is going to suffer from lack of depth esp in forward yet again

How could this be with a "generational drafter" at the helm??

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
There is absolutely zero reason to sign McKenzie at this point.

Yep....got an ATO from Comets but released before the end of the season.....had a decent year in the OHL but seems to have been supplanted by a guy like MacEwan who put up better numbers in the Q.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
It's really not surprising that a late round pick doesn't amount to anything.

Seriously, we're supposed to be impressed when one does take the next step. Too bad about Olson and Neill, but they were nothing more than lottery tickets... and not even big payoff tickets, more like scratch 'n' wins.

Now, Gaudette's progress so far should be something we can feel cautiously optimistic about.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
What kind of hit rate on late round picks are you expecting?

Well given the narrative from his supporters that Benning's terrible pro scouting, terrible trading, terrible contracts, and terrible team building all don't matter because DRAFTING!! SUPER SCOUT!!! I'd expect something a bit better that what we've had, especially since really the only good picks we've had (Boeser, Gaudette, Lockwood) can be tied directly to our USHL-based head scout.

Our late rounds in 2015-16 are looking atrocious right now. Gaudette is the only guy out of 9 players who is even tracking to get a pro contract. When that many guys are busting before even hitting the AHL, that's awful.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Well given the narrative from his supporters that Benning's terrible pro scouting, terrible trading, terrible contracts, and terrible team building all don't matter because DRAFTING!! SUPER SCOUT!!! I'd expect something a bit better that what we've had, especially since really the only good picks we've had (Boeser, Gaudette, Lockwood) can be tied directly to our USHL-based head scout.

Our late rounds in 2015-16 are looking atrocious right now. Gaudette is the only guy out of 9 players who is even tracking to get a pro contract. When that many guys are busting before even hitting the AHL, that's awful.

Forsling looks real good. :laugh:

Yeah, I know it's pretty much guaranteed that Benning never scouted him and it was a Gradin pick

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver

:huh:

I would say in 3 years, Lockwood, Brisebois, Gaudette, Demko, Tryamkin and Forsling are all tracking pretty well. Demko was the only 2nd rounder, the rest are 3rd and 5th round picks. But here's the rub, if Benning sees himself as a draft guru, then why keep giving away all the 2nd round picks?

Dab

Apr 17, 2017

I would say in 3 years, Lockwood, Brisebois, Gaudette, Demko, Tryamkin and Forsling are all tracking pretty well. Demko was the only 2nd rounder, the rest are 3rd and 5th round picks. But here's the rub, if Benning sees himself as a draft guru, then why keep giving away all the 2nd round picks?

I think the mostly likely answer is their "age gap" theory. Benning and Linden thought when they first came in that this team was still close to competing. What they were missing were 21-26 year olds who could play in the NHL and push into the top 6. Not a bad theory, but not all theories work in practice. He traded the picks for those kinds of age gap players and the Pedans and Vey's simply didn't work. Not a lot of teams have poor enough scouting to trade away promising young players on cheap contracts for 2nd round picks or similar assets.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Frankly, I'd much rather see the Canucks fish and cut bait with late round draft-picks than sign them to contracts like Stewart or Cederholm before them.....with guys like Neill and Olson, you draft them late and hope they develop....if they don't, then it is what it is and you move on to the next draft.

Besides, Jimbo and the Canucks have shown a penchant for signing free-agents to entry-level contracts to supplement the draft anyway.....building a prospect pool is about more than the draft.....trades and FA signings are also a big part of it.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

I'd consider 3rd rounders 'early' picks. Brisebois is tracking 'ok' and Lockwood is tracking well.

Leaving aside the 2014 draft, which was a mess of influences, we've taken 9 players in rounds 4-7 in 2015 and 2016 and the only one that looks like he'll be worth a pro contract is Gaudette. That's really, really bad.

Frankly, I'd much rather see the Canucks fish and cut bait with late round draft-picks than sign them to contracts like Stewart or Cederholm before them.....with guys like Neill and Olson, you draft them late and hope they develop....if they don't, then it is what it is and you move on to the next draft.

Besides, Jimbo and the Canucks have shown a penchant for signing free-agents to entry-level contracts to supplement the draft anyway.....building a prospect pool is about more than the draft.....trades and FA signings are also a big part of it.

Yup. As much as I hate this regime, I'll give them full credit for learning something and not signing Olson and Neill.

If guys haven't established themselves as top-quality CHL players, don't sign them. Don't get tunnel vision on guys just because you drafted them and are invested in them, and throw good money after bad. We've done this continuously over the last decade with the likes of Rai, Cederholm, Anthony, Stewart.

There are better guys than this available in UFA, and we're doing the right thing by jettisoning guys that didn't develop and targeting better players like Chatfield and Raddysh.

ihaveyuidonttouchme

MrShiftbyShiftGuy
Feb 21, 2009
Vancouver
www.youtube.com
I'd consider 3rd rounders 'early' picks. Brisebois is tracking 'ok' and Lockwood is tracking well.

Leaving aside the 2014 draft, which was a mess of influences, we've taken 9 players in rounds 4-7 in 2015 and 2016 and the only one that looks like he'll be worth a pro contract is Gaudette. That's really, really bad.

Yup. As much as I hate this regime, I'll give them full credit for learning something and not signing Olson and Neill.

If guys haven't established themselves as top-quality CHL players, don't sign them. Don't get tunnel vision on guys just because you drafted them and are invested in them, and throw good money after bad. We've done this continuously over the last decade with the likes of Rai, Cederholm, Anthony, Stewart.

There are better guys than this available in UFA, and we're doing the right thing by jettisoning guys that didn't develop and targeting better players like Chatfield and Raddysh.

but going through this route is still a big gamble as any team can sign these top ufa prospects and u could be left with nothing in addition to getting nothing from your draft class. that's a reaaaal bad scenario

so if u r left with zero depth from your draft class and zero hopes of signing any top ufa's, where do we get our crops?

some of the pros from keeping your own prospects is at least we know what their weakness and strength are and work from there. though ive never been impressed with their draft+ sign with guys like Cederholm and Stewart. i honestly wouldve given one to Carl Neil though. while his defensive iq are in the same realm as k-Connauton, his play with the puck is something to be worked with at the pro level

the downside of ufa or random crop of ato's and such route is u r pretty much "committed" (if with an actual nhl contract) without knowing whether their question marks are really good or really bad

and so far, the Utica fans seen from bad to worse in the past few yrs....and that's no bueno

Last edited:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
but going through this route is still a big gamble as any team can sign these top ufa prospects and u could be left with nothing in addition to getting nothing from your draft class. that's a reaaaal bad scenario

so if u r left with zero depth from your draft class and zero hopes of signing any top ufa's, where do we get our crops?

some of the pros from keeping your own prospects is at least we know what their weakness and strength are and work from there. though ive never been impressed with their draft+ sign with guys like Cederholm and Stewart. i honestly wouldve given one to Carl Neil though. while his defensive iq are in the same realm as k-Connauton, his play with the puck is something to be worked with at the pro level

the downside of ufa or random crop of ato's and such route, u r pretty much "committed" (if with an actual nhl contract) without knowing whether their question marks are really good or really bad

and so far, the Utica fans seen from bad to worse in the past few yrs....and that's no bueno

Missing on UFAs and getting nothing from your draft is better than signing bad players that you've drafted who end up in the ECHL and waste contract slots.

Obviously the solution is to draft better and select more guys who are worth contracts. But we haven't done that, and signing bad junk draft picks that aren't even going to play in the AHL solves nothing.

And it's not like there are just 1 or 2 guys in all of prospect-dom that are available and better than these guys. I could name 5 guys just from the WHL that we could sign for free and are better than Olson.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Just can't get too bent out of shape about not signing guys drafted in the 6th-7th round...let's face it, there's a less than 10 percent chance that any kid drafted by any NHL team that late in the draft, will ever play a single game in the NHL.

And if they've been passed by during their junior careers by the likes of Raddysh, MacEwan and Chatfield, then by all means go the UFA route instead....pretty sure the Canuck scouts have taken a long look at kids like Olson and Neill at development camps, prospects tournaments and in their junior leagues, and passed for a reason.

But turnabout is fair play....obviously the Sharks and Sens had the same viewings of Goldobin and Dahlin, and decided they could part with them at the trading deadline for rental help....just something to think about.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Zhukanov signing in russia too. Dang what a mess our team our prospects everything is :(

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Zhukanov signing in russia too. Dang what a mess our team our prospects everything is :(

I believe we keep his rights....I don't see how him playing a couple years in Russia is a bad thing. If hes good enough to sign, then sign him in 2 yrs. Zhukenov was always going to be a project, and projects take time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad