Prospect Info: The Prospect Thread (Part XXXIII)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boulette Canon

Aug 16, 2006
Thanks for the post.

I know he is a UFA over ager so expectations should be tempered...but I am intrigued by this guy, like his package of size, toughness, skating and skill

Mind you, my sample size is limited, but he's definitely a fan favorite. Seems to be the only guy competing on every shift. He has an "unusual" development path, but I can't see how this guy cannot make it to the big league.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Mind you, my sample size is limited, but he's definitely a fan favorite. Seems to be the only guy competing on every shift. He has an "unusual" development path, but I can't see how this guy cannot make it to the big league.

You know it's strange...If MacEwen was showing this kind of massive improvement in College Hockey in the States as a 20 year old, Canuck posters would be over the moon.

But with a July, '96 birth-date he's a true overager, playing against much younger kids, so hard to judge.....true test will come when starts playing against guys who are as big, fast and strong as he is at 6'4" 212.

But the Canucks apparently out-bid a few other NHL teams to sign him, so there was interest....well worth the risk, even if tops out as an AHL depth player.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010

really? hes a ****ing massive adult with some measure of hockey skill styling on children. if he didn't look like a superstar in this situation it would be a disaster

for example:

article_cc1db1c5-6d7e-440e-9f1d-378322dd25db.png

every circle is, statistically, a player thats similar to him. the ones with names are/were nhl players, the blank ones are nobodies

this doesnt mean hes guaranteed to be a failure, but hopefully it will help visualize a little bit about the odds

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
really? hes a ****ing massive adult with some measure of hockey skill styling on children. if he didn't look like a superstar in this situation it would be a disaster

for example:

every circle is, statistically, a player thats similar to him. the ones with names are/were nhl players, the blank ones are nobodies

this doesnt mean hes guaranteed to be a failure, but hopefully it will help visualize a little bit about the odds

While I agree in general about understanding odds for prospect success, there are a couple things that are a bit different with MacEwen than most of the circles on that list.

Most of those guys will have spent 3-5 seasons in the QMJHL before posting those numbers as an overage player and gradually got to the point they were at in their last season. MacEwen is a guy who has spent 2 and scored 10 goals last season. His development curve is shooting SHARPLY upward right now.

The reason most overagers don't make it isn't because of their age, it's because they've spent 4 years previously in a CHL league without managing to distinguish themselves at that level and show they're a player capable of moving up levels. This isn't the case at all with MacEwen, who has quickly become an impact player at that level. It's the same general principle (in reverse) as why Gudbranson's 300+ NHL games are the driving reason why he won't improve significantly in the NHL despite the fact that he's 'only 24'. Ability to move up levels or improve significantly isn't driven by age, it's driven by experience. If you're moving up levels and adjusting quickly to higher competition, things bode well for you.

And not everyone can look how he looks right now. His combination of size/skating ability/puck skills is very rare, and he looks like an absolute freight train right now. He needs to develop a better motor and keep his feet moving away from the play, but you can see a lot of upside there.

I like this signing a lot, and I'm not someone who would normally get on the bandwagon for an overage signing with 74 points.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
While I agree in general about understanding odds for prospect success, there are a couple things that are a bit different with MacEwen than most of the circles on that list.

Most of those guys will have spent 3-5 seasons in the QMJHL before posting those numbers as an overage player and gradually got to the point they were at in their last season. MacEwen is a guy who has spent 2 and scored 10 goals last season. His development curve is shooting SHARPLY upward right now.

The reason most overagers don't make it isn't because of their age, it's because they've spent 4 years previously in a CHL league without managing to distinguish themselves at that level and show they're a player capable of moving up levels. This isn't the case at all with MacEwen, who has quickly become an impact player at that level. It's the same general principle (in reverse) as why Gudbranson's 300+ NHL games are the driving reason why he won't improve significantly in the NHL despite the fact that he's 'only 24'. Ability to move up levels or improve significantly isn't driven by age, it's driven by experience. If you're moving up levels and adjusting quickly to higher competition, things bode well for you.

And not everyone can look how he looks right now. His combination of size/skating ability/puck skills is very rare, and he looks like an absolute freight train right now. He needs to develop a better motor and keep his feet moving away from the play, but you can see a lot of upside there.

I like this signing a lot, and I'm not someone who would normally get on the bandwagon for an overage signing with 74 points.

Thanks for this post and keeping an open mind.

I have a little more hope for Zack than the average over ager because of his development curve, looks like late bloomer, and because his size/skill package is very enticing. Seems like there are some things to work with here. With the right coaching and development he has to at least offer more than some of the plugs being trotted out in Utica.

Boulette Canon

Aug 16, 2006

for example:

Interesting indeed, but I'm just explaining what I'm seeing. This is just an opinion of a hockey fan. Take it for what its worth. Not saying he's going to be a superstar, just thinking he'll be an effective player in the NHL and that in these playoffs, he's competing hard.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Thanks for this post and keeping an open mind.

I have a little more hope for Zack than the average over ager because of his development curve, looks like late bloomer, and because his size/skill package is very enticing. Seems like there are some things to work with here. With the right coaching and development he has to at least offer more than some of the plugs being trotted out in Utica.

Yeah. He's trending the right way and has some big-time tools. Hopefully the coaches in Utica have some patience with the rough defensive edges to his game and put him in positions to succeed.

Doing what he's doing recently isn't a small thing. I've watched a lot of junior hockey, and for a guy to physically dominate with that kind of size/speed/puck skill is extremely rare. In terms of tools/play style, it's probably the closest thing I've ever seen to Todd Bertuzzi, who was an incredibly unique player. Now, of course the odds he'll end up anywhere near that good are completely miniscule, but you can definitely see the upside there to be a quality NHL player.

Interesting indeed, but I'm just explaining what I'm seeing. This is just an opinion of a hockey fan. Take it for what its worth. Not saying he's going to be a superstar, just thinking he'll be an effective player in the NHL and that in these playoffs, he's competing hard.

Thanks for the feedback on him.

Also it's worth noting that the only guy on that graph to make it (Ryane Clowe) is a very similar case to MacEwen who only spent 1.5 seasons in the QMJHL prior to his overage year.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site

Obviously any overager is a longshot. So a chart to show that an overager is a longshot doesn't mean much.

Like you, I find his combination of size and soft hands intriguing.

I rather a sign an overager with a couple elite traits like (size, hands) with lots of holes in his game, than a overager with a well-rounded game with low upside.

Braeden

Jul 14, 2009
If MacEwen turns into a Ryane Clowe type of player then I would say it was a good signing.

It could turn into a Mackenze Stewart type of deal though. :sarcasm:

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
London is down 3-1 no? Could see Juolevi's season ending sooner than later. Think he gets some games in anywhere?

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
London is down 3-1 no? Could see Juolevi's season ending sooner than later. Think he gets some games in anywhere?

Juolevi's contract would slide since he's only 18, so why the hell not? Is it any different than the trash we're throwing out there?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

I'd frankly be surprised if we didn't see him here if that happened.

He should go to Utica, but these guys are desperate for good PR right now.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead

The reason most overagers don't make it isn't because of their age, it's because they've spent 4 years previously in a CHL league without managing to distinguish themselves at that level and show they're a player capable of moving up levels. This isn't the case at all with MacEwen, who has quickly become an impact player at that level.

I too am hopeful for McEwen as I would love to have a player with his skill set on the team.
But I would refer you to Alexandre Mallet, a player with a similar development arc, whom I also had some hope for once upon a time.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
. Ability to move up levels or improve significantly isn't driven by age, it's driven by experience. If you're moving up levels and adjusting quickly to higher competition, things bode well for you.

As an aside, this is sort of why I'm optimistic about McEneny.

But then, I was optimistic about Sacha Guimond.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
I too am hopeful for McEwen as I would love to have a player with his skill set on the team.
But I would refer you to Alexandre Mallet, a player with a similar development arc, whom I also had some hope for once upon a time.

Zack is free though

It was plain stupid to use a 2nd round pick on Mallet.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
As an aside, this is sort of why I'm optimistic about McEneny.

But then, I was optimistic about Sacha Guimond.

Yes, nobody is talking about him very much, but McEneny has probably made the most progress of any prospect d-man in Utica.....he's now ahead of both Subban and Pedan as an injury call-up, and who would predicted that at the start of the year?

Thing that's been impressive is his underrated offense.....actually a fixture now on the pp and eight goals isn't to shabby for a d-man in the AHL....he definitely bears watching.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
talking about Utica players. why do we keep giving Labate a chance to become a 4th line energy player when there is a better one in Utica with Archibald?

Sure he's older but he has a better skillset, more production in the A. From what I've seen a much better hitter, and can't possibly be a worse fighter than Labate.

Sign him and audition Archibald for the bot 6 next year.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
talking about Utica players. why do we keep giving Labate a chance to become a 4th line energy player when there is a better one in Utica with Archibald?

Sure he's older but he has a better skillset, more production in the A. From what I've seen a much better hitter, and can't possibly be a worse fighter than Labate.

Sign him and audition Archibald for the bot 6 next year.

I agree. It would have been a drag for Utica to have lost Archibald for any time this season, but he probably deserved a signing and a call-up. Maybe next season.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

If Juolevi is done by the weekend, he should get some games in Vancouver...only five games left in a meaningful season....but then there's biggest hurdle of all to clear--Willie.

If he doesn't play blueline call-ups from Utica, what are the odds he's going to put a junior d-man into the lineup unless he gets marching orders from Jimbo?

jeromemorrow

May 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
I agree. It would have been a drag for Utica to have lost Archibald for any time this season, but he probably deserved a signing and a call-up. Maybe next season.

That's true.. but Archibald's had ample chances to make it with the big team for the past 2-3 years. There's no upside to him anymore... not sure why we're so hung up on old LWers.

I thought there's this whole youth movement that's not moving fast enough that ppl are pissed about.

WHo gives a **** about Archibald..

jeromemorrow

May 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
If Juolevi is done by the weekend, he should get some games in Vancouver...only five games left in a meaningful season....but then there's biggest hurdle of all to clear--Willie.

If he doesn't play blueline call-ups from Utica, what are the odds he's going to put a junior d-man into the lineup unless he gets marching orders from Jimbo?
But why burn the ELC? Our defence is in somewhat good condition..

I would prefer Juolevi sign an ATO with Utica and not burn that 1 year of his ELC.

Hutton will need to be re-signed in 1 or 2 yrs.. Tryamkin is going to be re-signed this summer. Stecher in 1 or 2 years too.

Defencemen take longer to develop and the more years that we can prolong the ELC, the better imo

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
But why burn the ELC? Our defence is in somewhat good condition..

I would prefer Juolevi sign an ATO with Utica and not burn that 1 year of his ELC.

Hutton will need to be re-signed in 1 or 2 yrs.. Tryamkin is going to be re-signed this summer. Stecher in 1 or 2 years too.

Defencemen take longer to develop and the more years that we can prolong the ELC, the better imo

It doesn't burn the ELC unless he plays 10 games.

Juolevi is 18 years old so the 10 game rule applies to him. He can play rest of the season here and still have 3 years left on his ELC.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
It doesn't burn the ELC unless he plays 10 games.

Juolevi is 18 years old so the 10 game rule applies to him. He can play rest of the season here and still have 3 years left on his ELC.

A better question would be, what is there to gain by bringing him here now and letting him get destroyed? He is not even dominating juniors right now, bringing him in to play against playoff teams isn't exactly the smartest thing to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad