Prospect Info: The Prospect Thread (Part XXXIII)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Initially i thought Grenier was a close comparable (and i still do to a degree) but i'm noticing a few differences.

For starters, out of Jr. Grenier was noted as a big skilled forward BUT one thing to note is he isn't overly physical dispute his size. MacEwen on the other hand is actually similar to Mallet in that he plays physical and uses his size. Of course unlike Mallet, he was a lot more productive before his overage season (Mallet had 19pts in 60 games vs MacEwen 40pts in 66 games).

Basically MacEwen seems more like a combo of the 2. He's more polish than Mallet and likely more skilled than Mallet was (also bigger frame) but probably not as physical (Mallet had an edge and probably was closer to being a goon than a power forward before his overage year). On the flip side when you compare him to Grenier, he's much more physical. One stat that can prove this is the fact Grenier only had 42 PIM in his final season, 6 in 31 games the season before)... MacEwen had 56 and 90.

Also one other difference/similarity is Mallet played both C/RW... MacEwen plays C/RW as well. Grenier is basically just a RW. Its easier for a C to move to the wing but much harder for a winger to move to C. That flexibility could be the difference in making Utica (next year) or being sent to the ECHL.

Right now as it stands, i think Labate is the only C in Utica with much size and i believe he played most of the year on LW. Unless Utica adds some size in the off season, they probably could use a big physical center (or even RW to replace Grenier who will be a UFA, again Utica lacks size as a team, something that i'm sure Bennnig will want to address).

I realize there's a tendency to try and compare all of the over-age forwards the Canucks have signed out of the Q, but don't really see much comparison between MacEwan and guys like Grenier, Mallet and P.C. Labrie who played wing.

For one thing, MacEwan is a natural centre and that's the position he's primarily played....doubt the Canucks would have signed him if he'd been a winger....big cenrtres with skill and skating ability are usually far more prized as prospects, which explains why a few more NHL teams other than the Canucks were in on him.

jeromemorrow

May 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
I realize there's a tendency to try and compare all of the over-age forwards the Canucks have signed out of the Q, but don't really see much comparison between MacEwan and guys like Grenier, Mallet and P.C. Labrie who played wing.

For one thing, MacEwan is a natural centre and that's the position he's primarily played....doubt the Canucks would have signed him if he'd been a winger....big cenrtres with skill and skating ability are usually far more prized as prospects, which explains why a few more NHL teams other than the Canucks were in on him.

Okay, it's really hard not to be excited about MacEwen..... and I'm only saying this from my own viewings of highlights. He's always so involved in every play in all the highlights... skating up and down the ice... seems to skate pretty good for such a big man.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Verviticus said:
if you had to guess, what odds would you put on him to become, say, a 200+ game nhler?

I dunno. 15%? 20%? He's definitely a boom/bust sort of guy.

For the record, 20% to me is a fairly big compliment. I'm not even sure I'd have a 'bluechip' guy like Gaudette at 50%.

There is some comparison to be made with Grenier given their backgrounds and size/styles, but yeah not so much with a guy like Mallet.

As for the center thing, we'll see how he does when he turns pro. His attention to his defensive responsibilities right now looks pretty awful, and he might be better suited for a shift to the wing.

To me he looks much more like a 'scoring line winger or bust' prospect than a 'big defensive 4th line center' prospect. The guy's playing style is a near carbon copy of 2001-02 Todd Bertuzzi.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Big Mac with both goals so far, Gatineau leading 2-1 after one period...

We might really have something here folks

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I seriously recommend watching him for no other reason than the fact that he's an absolute thrill.

Reminds me of Puljujarvi when he has the puck. If he reaches his potential, which is admittedly unlikely, he'll turn into the kind of player that'll make one want to watch a Canucks game.

Last edited:

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005

I opened the thread in order to post the same info. Interesting stuff. Keep it up, Zac.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Im hoping for a monster playoffs by Macewen, he is such an intriguing player.

Z8hbhna.gif

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010

For the record, 20% to me is a fairly big compliment. I'm not even sure I'd have a 'bluechip' guy like Gaudette at 50%.

well ya, that's just a reasonable understanding of percentages, lol

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

I try not to get too worked up about 20 year-old centres who are 6'4" and 212, schooling younger kids in junior hockey....but then I remember that Alex Burrows came out of the Q, unheralded and undrafted.

Sometimes true impact players emerge from the most improbable and unlikely backgrounds.....it happens....once in a blue moon, granted...but it does happen...So I'll shut the likes of Stefan Schneider and Kellan Lain out of my mind until I have to.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
I try not to get too worked up about 20 year-old centres who are 6'4" and 212, schooling younger kids in junior hockey....but then I remember that Alex Burrows came out of the Q, unheralded and undrafted.

Sometimes true impact players emerge from the most improbable and unlikely backgrounds.....it happens....once in a blue moon, granted...but it does happen...So I'll shut the likes of Stefan Schneider and Kellan Lain out of my mind until I have to.

If he is supposed to be dominating younger players, we can rest assured that he is. I always make a point of looking at the Gatineau game stats on QMJHL.com and I can't remember the last time he was not one of the 3 game stars, whether they win the game or lose.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
macewen is very intriguing as a player who might have slipped under radar, but keep in mind abols is doing something similar in the q this year.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

There is some comparison to be made with Grenier given their backgrounds and size/styles, but yeah not so much with a guy like Mallet.

As for the center thing, we'll see how he does when he turns pro. His attention to his defensive responsibilities right now looks pretty awful, and he might be better suited for a shift to the wing.

To me he looks much more like a 'scoring line winger or bust' prospect than a 'big defensive 4th line center' prospect. The guy's playing style is a near carbon copy of 2001-02 Todd Bertuzzi.

"His attention to his defensive responsibilities right now looks pretty awful"
This desrcibes Grenier, Shinkaruk, Jensen, Friesen, and Carcone to name a few. They all got much better at it under Green's tutelage and the one thing i often read about comets on their call-ups to Vancouver is that most of them are defensively responsible. So that's a good thing.

The closest the Comets have had to a decent big center was Gaunce. He doesn't have the puck skills or the shot of Grenier. Grenier's major fault is that when he thinks he slows down. He looks for passes like a person searching for a 4-leaf clover thus either telegraphing them with a megaphone which means the pass is picked or he gets stripped before he ever gets it off. Either way it's a turnover more than 50% of the time. If he just used his speed, shot the puck when open, gave it up when pressed, and continued on his way to the net or open spaces, he would be very dangerous and would have had NHL potential. He has a great wrist shot, decent speed and is big. He seldom uses his size and strength to his advantage, but when he does it works. The problem is he tries to think and he's hockey brain dead, 0 hockey IQ. That's kills any chance he has of making his skills work for him.

This new kid is described as having skills while using his size and strength. That can be a very promising combination. Have to wait and see how it works against older, much bigger, and more skilled opposition than he's been accustomed to seeing. He sounds like a kid worth taking a chance on. It's not like the center talent here has knocked anyone's socks off in 4 seasons. Pelletier 4 years ago and O'Reilly are it.

Then again a big scoring winger hasn't exactly made a name for himself here either until an angel blessed Archi this season. Most of the big ones have turned out like Lain, Mallet and Fox. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Last edited:

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
He has impressive puck handling skills and his speed looks really excellent for a guy of that size. Very curious to follow him as he transitions to the pro leagues, won't get hopes up too much until we see him doing that sort of thing in the AHL.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010

Actually it depends on which prediction system you believe in... some have Gaudette move up to 100% mid-way through this season. I.e. 'nucks army prospect report had him @ 100% (mid-season report)

https://canucksarmy.com/2017/01/24/canucks-army-midterm-prospect-rankings-5-adam-gaudette/

Since he's going back for his Jr. year, i expect he might be in the NHL at the end of the season (like Boeser this year) if he continues to develop like he has the last 1.5 years (burning the first year of his ELC in the process).

Here's a link for MacEwen

https://canucksarmy.com/2017/02/15/in-depth-look-at-qmjhl-ufa-zack-macewen/

"His attention to his defensive responsibilities right now looks pretty awful"
This desrcibes Grenier, Shinkaruk, Jensen, Friesen, and Carcone to name a few. They all got much better at it under Green's tutelage and the one thing i often read about comets on their call-ups to Vancouver is that most of them are defensively responsible. So that's a good thing.

The closest the Comets have had to a decent big center was Gaunce. He doesn't have the puck skills or the shot of Grenier. Grenier's major fault is that when he thinks he slows down. He looks for passes like a person searching for a 4-leaf clover thus either telegraphing them with a megaphone which means the pass is picked or he gets stripped before he ever gets it off. Either way it's a turnover more than 50% of the time. If he just used his speed, shot the puck when open, gave it up when pressed, and continued on his way to the net or open spaces, he would be very dangerous and would have had NHL potential. He has a great wrist shot, decent speed and is big. He seldom uses his size and strength to his advantage, but when he does it works. The problem is he tries to think and he's hockey brain dead, 0 hockey IQ. That's kills any chance he has of making his skills work for him.

This new kid is described as having skills while using his size and strength. That can be a very promising combination. Have to wait and see how it works against older, much bigger, and more skilled opposition than he's been accustomed to seeing. He sounds like a kid worth taking a chance on. It's not like the center talent here has knocked anyone's socks off in 4 seasons. Pelletier 4 years ago and O'Reilly are it.

Then again a big scoring winger hasn't exactly made a name for himself here either until an angel blessed Archi this season. Most of the big ones have turned out like Lain, Mallet and Fox. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

The good thing about MacEwen is he uses his size when Grenier doesn't... that makes it likely for him to make the team even if he doesn't produce right away (unlike Grenier who spent a decent amount of his rookie season in the ECHL).

Also Friesen was named the best defensive forward + best @ PK + FO during his final year in Jr... I'm guessing there's a mistake grouping him with the other players you named because i don't think he was ever a defensive liability... his defensive play was one of the reasons he played a decent amount of games in Chicago during his rookie year. He was given slightly more offensive opportunity with Green than with Chicago and that's also due to his defensive play (in that Green trusted him).

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015

My estimates on both players would have been much lower, but that's par for the course-I seem much less willing to count on NHL success for prospects than most on this forum.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010

Actually i think Benning might have been interested even if he's a winger. Labate played mostly center in NCAA and ended up playing mostly LW in Utica i believe. Even Gaunce was converted to LW for a while and moved between the 2 position even now.. Of course there is value added if you can do both but i'm pretty sure MacEwan would've gotten an offer even if he was just a LW (assuming his production stayed the same).

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Actually it depends on which prediction system you believe in... some have Gaudette move up to 100% mid-way through this season. I.e. 'nucks army prospect report had him @ 100% (mid-season report)

https://canucksarmy.com/2017/01/24/canucks-army-midterm-prospect-rankings-5-adam-gaudette/

It depends on what you define as "making in the NHL". It's probably a stronger bet than not at this point that Gaudette will one day play in a NHL game. But to wager he'll make the NHL as a regular for at least 1 season is a lot more risky.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

Since he's going back for his Jr. year, i expect he might be in the NHL at the end of the season (like Boeser this year) if he continues to develop like he has the last 1.5 years (burning the first year of his ELC in the process).

Here's a link for MacEwen

https://canucksarmy.com/2017/02/15/in-depth-look-at-qmjhl-ufa-zack-macewen/

The good thing about MacEwen is he uses his size when Grenier doesn't... that makes it likely for him to make the team even if he doesn't produce right away (unlike Grenier who spent a decent amount of his rookie season in the ECHL).

Also Friesen was named the best defensive forward + best @ PK + FO during his final year in Jr... I'm guessing there's a mistake grouping him with the other players you named because i don't think he was ever a defensive liability... his defensive play was one of the reasons he played a decent amount of games in Chicago during his rookie year. He was given slightly more offensive opportunity with Green than with Chicago and that's also due to his defensive play (in that Green trusted him).

Let me guess. You didn't actually watch his rookie season in Utica did you? I'll leave him in the group. Cassels has the same rep from Jrs. and he's no bargain either since he can't keep up with his checks. He's okay when squared up so he is semi-effective on the PK. He has been on the ice for a load of goals against. Neither is all that good in the dot either.

In league stats, Utica is the #17 team in goals against and #18 on the penalty kill, so he has good company. Strange numbers for a team that relies on a defensive game to win. They have no choice because they can't score with any consistency, ranking 18th in goals for. They are fighting for a playoff spot of which only 16 teams of the 30 will qualify. Those stats I just posted illustrate the reason they are right there at the bottom of the playoff picture.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Let me guess. You didn't actually watch his rookie season in Utica did you? I'll leave him in the group. Cassels has the same rep from Jrs. and he's no bargain either since he can't keep up with his checks. He's okay when squared up so he is semi-effective on the PK. He has been on the ice for a load of goals against. Neither is all that good in the dot either.

In league stats, Utica is the #17 team in goals against and #18 on the penalty kill, so he has good company. Strange numbers for a team that relies on a defensive game to win. They have no choice because they can't score with any consistency, ranking 18th in goals for. They are fighting for a playoff spot of which only 16 teams of the 30 will qualify. Those stats I just posted illustrate the reason they are right there at the bottom of the playoff picture.

His rookie year was NOT in Utica. It was with Chicago and he was fine defensively in his rookie year (tho didn't produce much offensively). Its probably one of the reasons they actually signed him this year because he's more or less playing the same role for them now (3rd line center).

I didn't watch many Utica's game during their expansion year (maybe 12 or so games), because it was an expansion team (pretty much expected them to lose more than they did) and only a few interesting prospect there (Tommernes, Corrado, and Jensen). The games i watched, he looked fine. Statistically, he was also one of the few Comets with a + rating too (even if +/- isn't too meaningful, its still impressive to have a + rating when majority of the team is a -).

Also the trend for Utica is to relay on their goalies and that isn't likely to change anytime soon consider most of 'nucks better offensive prospects don't appear to be going to the AHL. Even "lesser" prospects like Zhukenov seems to be headed to the KHL. Jasek might be the only forward draftee who might join Utica (if he is signed, doubt 'nucks want him to resign with his Czech team since they blocked him from the CHL when the 'nucks wanted him in the CHL, tho even if he is signed, he might head to ECHL, he seems under weight even for AHL). Abols is probably ECHL bound and Stukel is probably overage bound.

Southern_Canuck

Sep 13, 2004
Tue Apr 4

QMJHL Playoffs

Gatineau 4 Cape Breton 5 (OT)
MacEwen 0 points, -1

Gatineau loses series 3-4 (after clawing back from 0-3)

OHL Playoffs

Hamilton 2 Kingston 3 (OT)
Candella 0 points, even

Hamilton loses series 3-4

Windsor 2 London 3
Juolevi 1 goal (3rd), even (selected 1st star)
Chatfield 0 points, even

London wins series 4-3

So, MacEwen, Candella, and Chatfield CHL seasons are done (as well as McKenzie, Stukel, and Olson)

Who's left?
London (Juolevi) at Erie Apr 6
Cape Breton at Charlottetown (Brisebois, Neill) Apr 6
Acadie-Bathurst (Abols) at Blainville-Boisbriand Apr 6
Chicoutimi (Zhukenov) at Rouyn-Noranda Apr 7

S_C

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad