Prospect Info: The Prospect Thread (Part XXVIII)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Mostly off topic but some food-for-though re: prospect TOI.

Was just looking at Marko Dano's 2nd stint with the Hawks this season and it looks eerily similar, if not "worse" that WD's young player management.

Nov. 2 - 11:11
Nov. 4 - 08:53
Nov. 6 - 11:19
Nov. 8 - 09:24
Nov.12- 10:49
Nov.14- 05:58
Nov.15- 11:35
Nov.18- 13:16

This is a kid who was expected to drop into the Chicago lineup and compete for a top 6 spot on the wing.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
About a week before last night's game, before his call up, I started really wondering about Grenier's NHL potential. Normally, a player like him flies under the radar, but he's got the toolset, with the toolbox for middle6 NHL offense. So what do we truly have here?

From reports, he's worked on his defense. But how much? Is he stable enough not to be an NHL liability?

He did well in his call up. It should get people talking about him. Still, his defense will ultimately determine his fate IMO. If he's competent at the NHL, he can find purchase.

Thoughts?

Zaddy91

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Grenier had 3rd most shots on net and got 2 shifts in the third.

He looked great by desjardins can make anyone doubt themself unless they played for medicine hat

HankNDank

Oct 25, 2013
Medicine Hat
Grenier had 3rd most shots on net and got 2 shifts in the third.

He looked great by desjardins can make anyone doubt themself unless they played for medicine hat

As far as I am concerned, he scored a goal last night. I mean, the puck didn't go in the net, but it was incredibly lucky to not go in twice on that play, so to me, that counts!

ihaveyuidonttouchme

MrShiftbyShiftGuy
Feb 21, 2009
Vancouver
www.youtube.com
Last edited:

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
i feel like ive read this post a million times and yet people still do it

do you mind if i just cut and paste this every time it comes up

Your first reaction should have been what a poor comparison Lukas Krajicek is for Brisebois. Krajicek was a soft Matt Bartkowski - elite skater that was a decent passer, not much in the way of offensive IQ, defensive IQ and a weak shot.

Brisebois's strengths and weaknesses mirror Tanev's perfectly. As far as stylistic comparisons go, it's an excellent one. Nobody is saying he's on his way to becoming the next Chris Tanev. It's a reflection of his skill set and the type of game he plays.

Do you mind if I cut and paste that coaches comment about Olson every time you cut and paste that post? Bwahahahahha!

StIllmatic

Mar 27, 2010
Vancouver
Your first reaction should have been what a poor comparison Lukas Krajicek is for Brisebois. Krajicek was a soft Matt Bartkowski - elite skater that was a decent passer, not much in the way of offensive IQ, defensive IQ and a weak shot.

Brisebois's strengths and weaknesses mirror Tanev's perfectly. As far as stylistic comparisons go, it's an excellent one. Nobody is saying he's on his way to becoming the next Chris Tanev. It's a reflection of his skill set and the type of game he plays.

Do you mind if I cut and paste that coaches comment about Olson every time you cut and paste that post? Bwahahahahha!

Tanev carried the puck often in college and was a big part of RIT's offense. He was almost PPG if I recall correctly. Brisebois does not seem to possess that at all. Brisebois' play in the Q is similar to Tanev's currently play in the NHL. He's going to have a tough time keeping that up if his play is that limited in junior.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010

i don't agree with any of this

ms is a smart guy that i trust (when it doesnt concern alex edler). that coach sounds like an idiot

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
About a week before last night's game, before his call up, I started really wondering about Grenier's NHL potential. Normally, a player like him flies under the radar, but he's got the toolset, with the toolbox for middle6 NHL offense. So what do we truly have here?

From reports, he's worked on his defense. But how much? Is he stable enough not to be an NHL liability?

He did well in his call up. It should get people talking about him. Still, his defense will ultimately determine his fate IMO. If he's competent at the NHL, he can find purchase.

Thoughts?

he's never struck me as a guy that sticks around. i dunno. every time i watch him his talent is just never as apparent as i feel people want it to be and im always left thinking "this guy will always be on the cusp"

i very much want to be wrong and my hockey judging eyes, like everyone's, are often bad. take the above paragraph said with as little conviction as you can imagine

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
i don't agree with any of this

ms is a smart guy that i trust (when it doesnt concern alex edler). that coach sounds like an idiot

Then you haven't seen Brisebois play. The guy is a skinny, 6'2, smooth skating defensive defenseman, with a good, active stick that reads the play well, makes hard, accurate passes and always stays on the defensive side of the puck. He doesn't show much in the way of offensive instincts, has a weak shot and grit/physicality are not part of his repertoire.

Lukas Krajicek is the polar opposite type of defenseman. He was a tremendous skater and had a lot of athleticism, but couldn't think the game - like I said, a soft Matt Bartkowski.

So if you think Matt Bartkowski has a similar game as Brisebois, then you should like the comparison. But I can't imagine there is a smart person out there that believes that...

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
i dunno man. you're right. i havent really seen him play. so i take the people whose opinions i trust and i use them to form a low conviction opinion - and no offence, but i trust MS to see things a lot more than i trust you to see things. i guess we'll see!

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Tanev carried the puck often in college and was a big part of RIT's offense. He was almost PPG if I recall correctly. Brisebois does not seem to possess that at all. Brisebois' play in the Q is similar to Tanev's currently play in the NHL. He's going to have a tough time keeping that up if his play is that limited in junior.

Don't want to get involved, but there are some underlying numbers that suggest that Brisebois produced at a good rate despite his final tally last year. A rate relative to other draft eligible Dmen and the strength of his team (or lack thereof), that is. Something to think about.

he's never struck me as a guy that sticks around. i dunno. every time i watch him his talent is just never as apparent as i feel people want it to be and im always left thinking "this guy will always be on the cusp"

i very much want to be wrong and my hockey judging eyes, like everyone's, are often bad. take the above paragraph said with as little conviction as you can imagine

I get that, and there is an element of this in his game because he has a tweener's skillset.

Do you think he's 30 point capable in the NHL? The interesting points with him are A) He can be a PP option and B) he has improved defensively. So he has another way, aside from ES scoring, to be a producer. While all you're hoping for defensively is that he's not a liability. It's an intriguing skillset (not pure skill, just the different things he can do)

I'm really about where he ends up. Could just be that we are seeing flashes of things that don't amount to anything significant overall. I have to allow for that. So it's hard to gauge.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Then you haven't seen Brisebois play. The guy is a skinny, 6'2, smooth skating defensive defenseman, with a good, active stick that reads the play well, makes hard, accurate passes and always stays on the defensive side of the puck. He doesn't show much in the way of offensive instincts, has a weak shot and grit/physicality are not part of his repertoire.

Lukas Krajicek is the polar opposite type of defenseman. He was a tremendous skater and had a lot of athleticism, but couldn't think the game - like I said, a soft Matt Bartkowski.

So if you think Matt Bartkowski has a similar game as Brisebois, then you should like the comparison. But I can't imagine there is a smart person out there that believes that...

By your description he sounds like an average-slightly above average Junior D-Man, that's not very encouraging

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
By your description he sounds like an average-slightly above average Junior D-Man, that's not very encouraging

He was selected to play in the Russia VS Q series for a reason. That IS encouraging.

Doesn't show much offensive instincts, which is disappointing. But he does have a great stick and moves the puck quickly and efficiently. He's not going to be a PP quarterback in Vancouver in all likelihood - but he does have shutdown dman upside. He has the range to play that role and get the puck out of his own end safely.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

Never watched Tanev in college so I'm admittedly purely stat scouting but:

- 28 pts in 41 games (.68 PPG)
- was 19 turning 20 that season
- check out the schools in R.I.T's conference, hardly a hotbed of high end collegiate athletics

I'm only guessing but if you put most top 4 CHL defenders at 19-20 in R.I.T's lineup they would *likely* be the top defenceman by a wide margin.

So while I don't think offense will ever be Brisebois' calling card, I don't worry much that it is the thing that will stop him from developing into a Tanev-like defender in the NHL. What I am more worried about is his ability to carry weight and strength (he looks quite slightly built) and how good his game is between his own goal line and centre. If he can show growth in those two areas then he will have a chance, even without "big" offensive production in the Q.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Lol! So poster on the internet is right, major junior coach is wrong.

So I guess you agree with everything guys like Eakins and Desjardins does right? Because they're both major league coaches?

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Clearly Bresbois is playing on a crappy QMJHL all star team which is holding back his production

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
He was on in the final minute when Russia was really pushing hard
Did a good job of eating up time along the boards to kill the clock

But yeah
Its more fun to say he sucks I guess

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Brisebois had a slow start to say the least. 0pts in his first 8Gp. However he's been producing at increasing rates as the season has progressed, 7Pts in the next 13Gp, and 4 in his last 6. Hopefully he can keep heating up, and progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad