Prospect Info: The Prospect Thread (Part XXVIII)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
I think they are all dumb moves, top pairing in junior or not. Actually all the worse if they play top minutes and can't surpass 20 points in an entire season. A minimum of puckhandling and passing skill is needed to transition to the NHL eventually and guys who can't crack 20 points are bad bets all around.

My point isn't and has never been that Stewart is a good pick. He's a bad pick, as are those others. My point is he doesn't "represent" a fatal error in thinking. Teams take flyers on guys *like* Stewart from time to time. I don't know why but they do. But you can't discern a pattern from a single data point. Stewart doesn't indicate Benning is a horrible drafter any more than Forsling or Boeser alone indicate that he is a very good drafter. You need to look at an entire body of work to determine competence or incompetence, not myopically single out one bad pick and make it a martyr to some agenda.

The pick alone doesn't show much. The fact that he then went on to say that they were going to develop Pettit & Stewart into 4th liner/6th D types, does.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I feel like we're one of the only boards that are this crazily obsessed with contract spots

I'm not saying that it's not a bad signing
But I'll only be really upset when his roster spot literally costs us a player or prospect that I really want

Just find it a little funny how a lot of people here will completely over-analyze a 7th round pick

I'm not trying to make excuses for Benning or anything
But it's a bit crazy how people make a huge deal out of this

Have to agree....the list of failed late-round picks from the Canuck scouting staff could fill a little shop of horrors....there's probably been at least one or two Stewarts' in every draft.......I'm far more concerned about the second rounders that have been flushed away for aging veterans at the deadline or expended on guys like Yann Sauve and Taylor Ellington, or more recently Linden Vey.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
The pick alone doesn't show much. The fact that he then went on to say that they were going to develop Pettit & Stewart into 4th liner/6th D types, does.

Sure, I guess it shows an unhealthy fixation on developing low end "character" guys but as long as those picks are infrequent AND stay in the 7th round then it is a small failing in the greater scope of things.

Besides if you really want something to "indict" the Benning regime on why resort to a low-event pick to make that case? There are numerous transactions or examples of his views on talent that serve this case far better. Like the persistent obsession with Sbisa or signing of Bartowski are far more damning indicators of an impaired evaluation process than Stewart IMO.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
Can we keep the management discussion out of the PROSPECT thread?

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
I feel like we're one of the only boards that are this crazily obsessed with contract spots

I'm not saying that it's not a bad signing
But I'll only be really upset when his roster spot literally costs us a player or prospect that I really want

Just find it a little funny how a lot of people here will completely over-analyze a 7th round pick

I'm not trying to make excuses for Benning or anything
But it's a bit crazy how people make a huge deal out of this

As has been explained a dozen times already, it has little to do with contract slots or the value of a 7th round pick. It has to do with having a GM who thinks that a bad bottom pairing defender in juniors can be molded into a regular nhl player, his subsequent discussion on the topic and especially his decision to sign said player to a contract. That is a pretty scary level of cluelessness being displayed in my opinion even if the transaction is not a big deal in terms of impact.
Sayinf it's just a 7th round pick who cares, misses the point entirely. This could be used to justify them using the 7th round pick on a tennis player. It's not a cogent defense

I'll respect the wishes to keep this out of the prospect thread though. If anyone wants to continue this discussion, feel free to quote this post in the Stewart thread or management thread.

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
As has been explained a dozen times already, it has little to do with contract slots or the value of a 7th round pick. It has to do with having a GM who thinks that a bad bottom pairing defender in juniors can be molded into a regular nhl player, his subsequent discussion on the topic and especially his decision to sign said player to a contract. That is a pretty scary level of cluelessness in my opinion even if it's not a big deal in terms of impact.
I'll respect the wishes to keep this out of the prospect thread though. If anyone wants to continue this discussion, feel free to quote this post in the Stewart thread or management thread.

And it hasn't happened this past draft when he had a full year under this organization and doing his own scouting
In fact we're all raving over the 7th round pick he took this past draft
But I don't know :dunno:
We all need something to complain about

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes