The Pro Tank Thread I Post #621

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
About EP40's draft, this is where risk reward and consequence comes in. If I draft a player who's not deemed BPA. no one will put a gun to my head and make me change your mind.

If it works out, like EP40 did, everyone will be super excited and say something along the lines of wow that was a great call, you really saw through that didn't you? That's awesome. But if EP40 didn't work out, people around me will say you're a ****ing nutcase for not listening to advises from scouts and experts, and I will have no choice but to sit there and eat all of it, because I acted against the consensus of everyone.

Although for EP40's case, even if the draft didn't pan out, I wouldn't be too upset, because this draft was kind of a messy one to begin with where BPA was hard to determine at our position.

JV and OJ are prime cases where everyone knew who the BPA was, and Dim Jim selected the wrong players.

And draft by position is not the best practice, if next draft comes up top three prospects are McDavid Matthews and Crosby, will you pass on them because our center depth is set with BH53 and EP40?
Like y2k,you have opinions on the 2017 draft..which is fine.

Bottom line though,is that both OJ and EP were drafted for position,and none of them were BPA.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
You honestly think we could have selected Nylander, Tkachuk, Boeser, Pettersson AND Hughes? Dear God, you completely ignored my post. And what’s your so called plan? Considering you just said it “Is easy to make a plan”. How do you know they don’t have a plan? They have a plan of what they want their team to look like and they’ve stated it multiple times. Speed, Skill, and being hard to play against.
Posters thinking that we could have drafted Nylander,Boeser,Tkachuk,EP and Hughes..?

Just when you thought that things couldn’t become more absurd than they already are..!?

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
I’m trying to think of who our last worst top-10 pick would be than Olli. Bryan Allen was a better dman by this point in his career if memory serves me correctly and he played for a while. Hodgson didn’t work out in the end but he was 10th and had some good years. We had a lot of terrible late first rounders but given how deep the 2016 draft was you gotta go pretty far back to beat that.

Passing on Jagr is likely the worst but most posters on here probably weren’t even born yet. I myself was pretty damn young at the time. I’m probably missing another big fumble between now and then too.
Wait until Juolevi plays in the NHL before calling him the worst top ten pick on franchise history..smh

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express

Bottom line though,is that both OJ and EP were drafted for position,and none of them were BPA.

Hmmmmm. Somewhat Disagree.

OJ drafted for position but it was our scouts who figured he was BPA.

Pettersson was a Aquaman PR staff pick. With all the talk of Benning wanting a center, Pettersson was certainly NOT trending to be a center 6 months before the draft.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

Pettersson was a Aquaman PR staff pick. With all the talk of Benning wanting a center, Pettersson was certainly NOT trending to be a center 6 months before the draft.
What’s an Aquaman PR staff pick?

EP was always groomed to be a center..As a 17 year old,he was playing against men.and would be eased into the center position by starting at wing.

In Elite Prospects he is listed as C/RW.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014

Teams don't have their boards made up 6 months before the draft. There's no evidence Benning didn't want Pettersson or that he was overruled by Aquillini. Everything he did prior to the draft, such as feeling out trading down if it appeared Pettersson might drop, indicated he was targeting him. Benning is a poor GM -- it's a case you can make without diminishing the positive things he's done.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
What’s an Aquaman PR staff pick?

EP was always groomed to be a center..As a 17 year old,he was playing against men.and would be eased into the center position by starting at wing.

In Elite Prospects he is listed as C/RW.

Aquaman Public Relations crew pick. Selected to keep the fans happy and marketing purposes...same as Virtanen, Quinn Hughes and our 1st round draft pick this year...Jack Hughes.

Wrong.

Pettersson has played C his entire life and lost his 2nd line C duties with Timra due to strength issues 6 months before the draft.

Last edited:

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
Teams don't have their boards made up 6 months before the draft. There's no evidence Benning didn't want Pettersson or that he was overruled by Aquillini. Everything he did prior to the draft, such as feeling out trading down if it appeared Pettersson might drop, indicated he was targeting him. Benning is a poor GM -- it's a case you can make without diminishing the positive things he's done.

:facepalm:

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Aquaman Public Relations crew pick. Selected to keep the fans happy and marketing purposes...same as Virtanen, Quinn Hughes and our 1st round draft pick this year...Jack Hughes.

Wrong.

Pettersson has played C his entire life and and lost his 2nd line C duties with Timra due to strength issues 6 months before the draft.
Disagree with the PR pick stuff...Agree that EP has been a C his whole life.and the strength issues.

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014

Wrong.

Pettersson has played C his entire life and and lost his 2nd line C duties with Timra due to strength issues 6 months before the draft.

I'm not entirely sure what point you're making, but you seem to be suggesting that Aquillini overruled Benning or disregarded he and his staff's input and ordered them to take Pettersson. Is there any evidence this is true?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Is this your quote..?

"And I'm willing to bet that Pettersson will play less than 25 games in the NHL. This kids game does not transition well to the NHL because when you takeaway his time and space, he becomes worthless.

Taking Pettersson @ 5 is a joke! If this franchise truly wants him then trade down and if their scared that he'll be selected before the trade down pick then just draft Suzuki."

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014

Also, this image shows that at time of the draft he was listed as a center, and Sportsnet noted his potential as "#1 Playmaking Center":

Benning specifically noted his playmaking ability before the draft. There is every indication that at the time he was picked the entire scouting/management community, including Benning, viewed him as a center.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby

N...o, bottom line is that EP40 and BB6 were great picks that are recognized as such, by everyone. And OJ/JV are both blown picks.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Nice deflect...

Deflect what? I along with many others full-heartedly praise Dim Jim's decision to pick EP40 and BB6, and this also gives me more confidence on QH's future. And I laid down facts about how OJ and JV are both horrible picks consider who we passed.

You're the one doing all the deflection. I asked if McDavid Matthews and Crosby are all in the same draft, will you skip them and pick a defense man because hey our center is set. If that's too hard to understand, how about the upcoming draft? Hypothetically speaking if all our forwards are the best, will you skip Hughes and Kakko to grab the first defense man you can get your hands on?

EDIT: at the end of the day, it's all about getting those top talents we need. If such talent is obtained by draft BPA, great. If such talent is obtained by draft by position, sure - I don't agree with it but hey I'm not gonna argue against results. The result from our draft so far is a 40% hit rate, BB6 and EP40 looks great, JV OJ and JM are misses. This is quite pathetic consider 1) Benning is suppose to be a draft god and 2) Random group of internet people out-drafted him twice in a row.

Last edited:

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
Deflect what? I along with many others full-heartedly praise Dim Jim's decision to pick EP40 and BB6, and this also gives me more confidence on QH's future. And I laid down facts about how OJ and JV are both horrible picks consider who we passed.

You're the one doing all the deflection. I asked if McDavid Matthews and Crosby are all in the same draft, will you skip them and pick a defense man because hey our center is set. If that's too hard to understand, how about the upcoming draft? Hypothetically speaking if all our forwards are the best, will you skip Hughes and Kakko to grab the first defense man you can get your hands on?

These hypotheticals have no similarity to any situation we're discussing or anything any poster has suggested is or would be defensible.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

EDIT: at the end of the day, it's all about getting those top talents we need. If such talent is obtained by draft BPA, great. If such talent is obtained by draft by position, sure - I don't agree with it but hey I'm not gonna argue against results. The result from our draft so far is a 40% hit rate, BB6 and EP40 looks great, JV OJ and JM are misses. This is quite pathetic consider 1) Benning is suppose to be a draft god and 2) Random group of internet people out-drafted him twice in a row.
Of course I would not pass on a generational talent over a positional need..goes without saying..

Obviously though,there was an agenda to get a center or d-man the last 3 drafts..

I believe that in the next draft they will likely take the best forward regardless of position.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Of course I would not pass on a generational talent over a positional need..goes without saying..

Obviously though,there was an agenda to get a center or d-man the last 3 drafts..

I believe that in the next draft they will likely take the best forward regardless of position.

That's all I want to hear, that shows you're NOT just blindly attached to the draft by position method. And, correct me if I'm wrong, you're willing the accept the notion that, so long as we get the top end talent we need, it really doesn't matter what method we use to pick out our players, am I correct?

And your final line is consistent with your first - we're likely to take a forward in the upcoming draft, because the potential for generational talent in the pool.

Again, I'm willing to say that draft by position is not something I agree with, but if it consistently delivers us those top end talents we need, who am I to ague against it?

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
You all understand that if Pettersson was drafted due to position rather than BPA it kind of undermines the selection a bit, right?

"Oh well we liked all these other players better but we needed a C so we took Pettersson instead"

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
You all understand that if Pettersson was drafted due to position rather than BPA it kind of undermines the selection a bit, right?

"Oh well we liked all these other players better but we needed a C so we took Pettersson instead"
Is there any solid reason to believe that happened? If I'm not mistaken the Mic'ed Up feature with Benning he talks about choosing Pettersson only if a certain series of other players were chosen first, which were the exact players that were chosen, two of whom were defencemen.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Is there any solid reason to believe that happened? If I'm not mistaken the Mic'ed Up feature with Benning he talks about choosing Pettersson only if a certain series of other players were chosen first, which were the exact players that were chosen, two of whom were defencemen.

No, but there isn't a solid reason behind most of Pastor's posts

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Wait until Juolevi plays in the NHL before calling him the worst top ten pick on franchise history..smh
When did I say worst in franchise history? He’s tracking worse so far than any recent top ten pick. Most have shown more improvement or at least regular NHL games by now. A few got traded for some sweet hauls, might be our best bet at this point if we get a new GM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad