The private school education of NHL All-Stars

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Interesting story in the CBC this morning.

This has been talked about before but it is amazing the number of elite players that come from private schools.

“Of the 37 North American players named to this year's NHL All-Star game or filling in as replacements, 15 — or 40 per cent — attended private school. It's a statistic that reinforces the notion that hockey, particularly at its very highest levels, is increasingly a sport not just for those who can afford it, but for those in the highest tax brackets.”

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5437356

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Hockey is an expensive sport and difficult to pick up if your family isn't well situated . Thats not news. Is it a problem ? For the growth of the game yes because that means it will allways stay a niche sport in most countries. I love hockey but growing up there was no way i could've played it . My parent weren't going to drive me 100km to the nearest rink every day. So i did something else since i liked other stuff as well .

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Does it say that most, if not all of those, were given free rides to those schools?

It's the same as saying 99% of NBA all stars attended very expensive NCAA schools....

A nothing article with nothing of value.

The best players get given offers of the best schools, same as in any other sports league in the world.

How expensive is IMG Academy? That's where you'll find the best football recruits in the States, and that's more expensive than any prep school for hockey...These kids are being given free rides, just like the best hockey players

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Does it say that most, if not all of those, were given free rides to those schools?

It's the same as saying 99% of NBA all stars attended very expensive NCAA schools....

A nothing article with nothing of value.

The best players get given offers of the best schools, same as in any other sports league in the world.

Sure . Just to start hockey so one of those expensive schools may scout you isn't exactly easy though. Hockey equipment for kids isn't exactly cheap compared to some other sports.

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
There is a bit of confirmation bias in this too because typically those that excel at sports to this degree will get scholarships for private schools.

Yeah I’d like to see a deeper breakdown of who had parents pay out of pocket and who got their education for free. I doubt it’s that big of a number for paid attendees.

Reactions: Chrisinroch

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Sure . Just to start hockey so one of those expensive schools may scout you isn't exactly easy though. Hockey equipment for kids isn't exactly cheap compared to some other sports.
Sure, which is a different can of worms all together. Expensive prep schools have nothing to do with anything, it just means the best players get free rides, like in any other sport in the world

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

I don't think anyone is arguing that hockey isn't expensive. Just that it isn't as expensive(i.e $30k+/yr) as the article is suggesting because most, if not all, of these players aren't paying full tuition at these schools.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Sure, which is a different can of worms all together. Expensive prep schools have nothing to do with anything, it just means the best players get free rides, like in any other sport in the world

Well i disagree with that assesment because that was the tone the article was supposed to hit even if failed at that. The tone of the article is "lets try to find a way to get more people involved in hockey so the sport is less niche or in Canadas case doesn't become niche" . If you want to do that you need to make sure the sport if available for little kids without their parents having to pay stupid amounts of money. It might not be a well written article but the assesment that there's a problem with how kids hockey programs are working is correct.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I don't think anyone is arguing that hockey isn't expensive. Just that it isn't as expensive(i.e $30k+/yr) as the article is suggesting because most, if not all, of these players aren't paying full tuition at these schools.

It's not a well written article because it doesn't make the correct connections. Doesn't mean the point its trying to make isn't right . That hockey has a problem with affordability at the kids level where you need it the most to get more people of different socioeconomic backgrounds involved .

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Yeah I’d like to see a deeper breakdown of who had parents pay out of pocket and who got their education for free. I doubt it’s that big of a number for paid attendees.

What's crazy is the kids that don't need a free ride get one because of course their kids are better. Their kids are better because they have the best equipment, they go the to best clinics and a lot of them, they do off ice training and they are able to be on the ice all the time because they can afford to play with the best travel programs.

It's an insanely vicious circle.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
What's crazy is the kids that don't need a free ride get one because of course their kids are better. Their kids are better because they have the best equipment, they go the to best clinics and a lot of them, they do off ice training and they are able to be on the ice all the time because they can afford to play with the best travel programs.

It's an insanely vicious circle.

For sure, but with all the equipment that needs be purchased VS other sports I don’t see any way around this issue.

There will always be way less stories of kids coming from nothing in hockey vs say soccer or basketball when all you need is a good pair of shoes VS skates, stick, pads, ice, etc.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
For sure, but with all the equipment that needs be purchased VS other sports I don’t see any way around this issue.

There will always be way less stories of kids coming from nothing in hockey vs say soccer or basketball when all you need is a good pair of shoes VS skates, stick, pads, ice, etc.

I don't think the system in north america is very good to get people from poorer backgrounds involved because it basically forces parents to invest too much money early on when it isn't even clear the kids are any good at it. You could have the pro clubs involved in development and more or less buy and lend equipment that kids can use for those who can't afford to buy it . Its how its works in europe for the most part. The pro teams are very much involved early on which in return gives them a massive scouting advantage for the most talented kids. Which also helps since school and college sports don't exist in europe and instead the pro clubs have youth programs that also provide academics .

Last edited:

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Lot of good posts.

Leading up to being awarded that scholarship or financial aid is what is missing here IMO.

Youth level tournaments are very pricey and there is certainly a political game of being “discovered” and getting “exposure” to coaches with connections.

To the extreme, somewhere in a small town another Panarin is on a hockey team with a Little League Baseball Coach calling the shots. Meanwhile, a Richie Rich is kicking and screaming b/c he needs to leave his XBox behind to travel to his hockey tournament coached by the brother of an NHL scout who attended a private hockey school

Reactions: WillyNy

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I don't think the system in north america is very good to get people from poorer backgrounds involved because it basically forces parents to invest too much money early on when it isn't even clear the kids are any good at it. You could have the pro clubs involved in development and more or less buy and lend equipment that kids can use for those who can't afford to buy it . Its how its works in europe for the most part. The pro teams are very much involved early on which in return gives them a massive scouting advantage for the most talented kids. Which also helps since school and college sports don't exist in europe and instead the pro clubs have youth programs that also provide academics .

It’s a good idea in theory, but think of the huge difference in registered hockey players in different countries.

Canada has what, 650,000 registered players last I checked?

USA has 560,000

Then countries like Finland and Sweden have 75,000 and 55,000 respectively.

When you have 10x + the players it’s a massive job to support poor families in a meaningful way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad