The private school education of NHL All-Stars

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
except it’s really not.

it’s played almost everywhere in the world.

The majority of professional NBA players are black.
Yes, the majority of the best league in the world is black. Very good.

Stating facts is not racist.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
I wonder how many Canadian born NBA players went to private schools. I would guess the number is above 40%, which would mean that basket is also "increasingly a sport not just for those who can afford it, but for those in the highest tax brackets".
This post is awful. In the NBA, for every Devin Booker, D'Angelo Russell, Ben Simmons & RJ Barrett that goes to Monteverde Academy and such private prep schools, there's an Anthony Davis, James Harden, Russel Westbrook, Ja Morant, Lonzo Ball that goes to some random public high school in the middle of nowhere all while being 5 star recruits. The prep school model is just starting to blow up in the NBA, but prospects like Ja Morant, Lonzo Ball & Anthony Edwards show every single year that it's still possible to make it.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
This post is awful. In the NBA, for every Devin Booker, D'Angelo Russell, Ben Simmons & RJ Barrett that goes to Monteverde Academy and such private prep schools, there's an Anthony Davis, James Harden, Russel Westbrook, Ja Morant, Lonzo Ball that goes to some random public high school in the middle of nowhere all while being 5 star recruits. The prep school model is just starting to blow up in the NBA, but prospects like Ja Morant, Lonzo Ball & Anthony Edwards show every single year that it's still possible to make it.

I think you are completely missing my point.

The CBC article says that about 60% of the NHL all-stars didn't go to private schools. For each All-Star who went to private school, there was 1.5 all star players which still made it without going to private school.

My point is that the type of conclusion CBC tries to draw is flawed.

And BTW, if you go through the list of canadian players in NBA, as my post says (what is the relevance of Anthony Davis or Lonzo Ball?), you are gonna discover that (much) more than 50% went to private schools for at least part of highschool. From a stat exactly like this, somehow CBC wrongly concludes "increasingly a sport not just for those who can afford it, but for those in the highest tax brackets".

Again, my point is that this is the wrong way to draw arguments. I don't really get where you are going with your post. If you are trying to say that there are many many examples in basketball who struggled to get into the NBA despite having huge talents, I completelly agree, and it is exactly what I am trying to point out. Afterall, the CBC article shows (but of course they don't point this out) that 60% of the NHL all stars didn't afford or were not recruited in private school, and they still made it.
And if you are trying to say that, using exactly the same argument/reasoning as CBC in a similar situation make an awfull argument, well that's exactly what I am trying to point out.

Last edited:

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
You don't have to be "rich" to go to a private school. A lot of people who aren't rich have parents who are middle class who sacrifice a lot to get their kids into these schools for their future. I find that a parent who will sacrifice more for their kid to go to a private school will probably have a greater likelihood of having a child who will make the necessary sacrifices to become a great hockey player or whatever career they pursue.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I guess its shocking to people who are not in the hockey sphere? To play competitive hockey requires a couple thousands, now imagine the "very best level" of each age bracket.

Also, a lot of these all stars have a close relative who either played in the NHL or played professionally to some degree.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I had the privilege of watching St Andrew's College in Aurora which is a private boys school. I believe for a non-boarder it was 40k+ a year, and for a boarder a lot more than that.

But I can tell you it was so inspirational to go to that place and arena and see the investment and discipline of young boys and men. 100% university acceptance rate.

And the hockey is phenomenal. For high school hockey I'd put it on par with jr.A and nearly major junior. Every year players get drafted from that squad, to major junior and some to the NHL.

The York Simcoe Express (AAA) use the arena and I watched Quinton Byfield play Bantam and Minor Midget there.

Anyway, yeah it is a rich kid school. At the same time it was inspiring to me and I'd love to send my kids to some place like that. And outside of the school, it was cool that they have an arrangement for the local minor AAA team.
Just my two cents.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
Yes, the majority of the best league in the world is black. Very good.

Stating facts is not racist.

Basketball is played by almost everyone in the world.... yes it’s true the top athletes are mostly black, but to call it a black sport, is just false.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
I don't know. I saved up all year, worked weekends for a month to have the money to send my son to ONE week long camp at just under $1000.

My son who wasn't a very good skater, came out of that camp a different player. He is so much better, and more confident. I can only imagine if I had had the resources to send him to more camps at an earlier age than he is now (13) how much better than he would be. I don't mean NHL or anything but maybe playing on a better travel team or being able to try out in college for a D3 school. For the record, I don't play full price for his small time travel team as I apply for a scholarship every year that cuts some of the cost.

Natural athletic ability is a must for sure, but actually being taught the mechanics and physics by former professionals can't be discounted. This year again, it will be one clinic, hopefully he takes another step in his development, I really wish I could do more, because he really loves ice hockey.

"but actually being taught the mechanics and physics by former professionals can't be discounted."

I think this is very true, and I also think there are some other things that can be done.

Here in the lower mainland, we have access to Karen Koss, Barb Aidelbaum, Victor Kraatz for skating. Some of it we get for free. We have Pavel Barber for puck skills, as well as others like Popke, Yogi, Stan, Perry, Sven, Graham etc. We have Pasco/Alex/Ian/Sean/Rob/Rick/Veit for goalie coaching. We have NHL coaches and players and former players volunteering as coaches at our associations. Compare that to the Island, where all I know about is Gold in the Net. No doubt there are others, but still pales in comparison. Generally our equivalent tier teams destroy the Island teams so in tournaments we tier up.

Having said that, there are some things that can be done in smaller markets. Community centre skating instructors are generally former figure skaters, and for very low cost kids can be taught skating that is comparable to what the pros would deliver, at least at the younger ages. Summer 3on3 is a fraction of the cost of spring hockey, and twice the action.

There are organizations like Kidsport, and associations have bursaries and financial hardship discounts.

Anyway, hockey is cheap compared to ballet and rhythmic gymnastics. Taking my 10 year old to the Chausson D'Or would likely cost $10K all in.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
"but actually being taught the mechanics and physics by former professionals can't be discounted."

I think this is very true, and I also think there are some other things that can be done.

Here in the lower mainland, we have access to Karen Koss, Barb Aidelbaum, Victor Kraatz for skating. Some of it we get for free. We have Pavel Barber for puck skills, as well as others like Popke, Yogi, Stan, Perry, Sven, Graham etc. We have Pasco/Alex/Ian/Sean/Rob/Rick/Veit for goalie coaching. We have NHL coaches and players and former players volunteering as coaches at our associations. Compare that to the Island, where all I know about is Gold in the Net. No doubt there are others, but still pales in comparison. Generally our equivalent tier teams destroy the Island teams so in tournaments we tier up.

Having said that, there are some things that can be done in smaller markets. Community centre skating instructors are generally former figure skaters, and for very low cost kids can be taught skating that is comparable to what the pros would deliver, at least at the younger ages. Summer 3on3 is a fraction of the cost of spring hockey, and twice the action.

There are organizations like Kidsport, and associations have bursaries and financial hardship discounts.

Anyway, hockey is cheap compared to ballet and rhythmic gymnastics. Taking my 10 year old to the Chausson D'Or would likely cost $10K all in.

Man, I would kill to have access to some of that for his one camp.

I drove my son an hour and half to the Bob Hartley Camp to get his expert instruction. Paul Byron got on the ice with my son for two sessions, as well as a ton of ex-NHL'ers and high level coaches, needless to say it was pretty impressive.

Where I live though, no one is coming. :(

I will continue to look out for the type of resources you noted in your post though.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Man, I would kill to have access to some of that for his one camp.

I drove my son an hour and half to the Bob Hartley Camp to get his expert instruction. Paul Byron got on the ice with my son for two sessions, as well as a ton of ex-NHL'ers and high level coaches, needless to say it was pretty impressive.

Where I live though, no one is coming. :(

I will continue to look out for the type of resources you noted in your post though.

Yeah, it is an amazing environment here. The Canucks host an annual clinic put on by BC Hockey pro coaches - 60 skaters and 4 goalies on Rogers ice for an hour, putting on an incredible practice even though there were 64 seven year-olds on the ice at the same time. Maybe the Caps do the same.

But I think there is an 80/20 thing where you can get 80% of the benefit for 20% of the cost - the community skating lessons are cheap (both money and time, don't need to show up an hour before for dryland and getting full gear on), summer 3on3 is far greater bang for the buck.

The one thing I will say is this - I believe that there is a threshhold for mastery of ice hockey. One practice and two games a week (what our Rec teams do) does not cross that threshhold - the kids are not mastering the fundamental skills in practices, and therefor are not applying the skills properly either in their practices or games, so their development trajectory is hampered. Need at least two practices per week (only need one game per week, but the kids love playing games so it's hard) and I would recommend one or two seasons at around age 6 or 7 where they do an additional skill session each week.

Along with a half hour/week skating lessons through spring/summer and summer 3on3 (ten 45 minute games, once per week) from initiation through bantam, a kid should be rockin it ($1,000-$2,000 for Association fees; $200 for community skating lessons; $250 for summer 3on3; $300-500 for gear). Don't do spring teams ($2,000-$4,000) unless you are made out of money and your kid really wants it (and even then it is bad here now, AAA players sparing in at AA tournaments, just ruins the competitiveness and development).

Gets worse when your kid is both a skater (winter) and goalie (spring). Goalie is more expensive. Gear, camps. That is another story.

Reactions: Sam Spade

FanTheFlames

Aug 20, 2017
Its not even the equiptment thats expensive for early on hockey its registration fees and travel costs/time every year. If you dont pay to be in a reputable league you wont get scouted and in turn wont get any offers to any private schools.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Its not even the equiptment thats expensive for early on hockey its registration fees and travel costs/time every year. If you dont pay to be in a reputable league you wont get scouted and in turn wont get any offers to any private schools.

You aren't lying. I get everything used for my son, except his helmet, at Play It Again Sports. My league fees are $2000.

Last edited:

A4T1L6

Feb 10, 2015
I had the privilege of watching St Andrew's College in Aurora which is a private boys school. I believe for a non-boarder it was 40k+ a year, and for a boarder a lot more than that.

But I can tell you it was so inspirational to go to that place and arena and see the investment and discipline of young boys and men. 100% university acceptance rate.

And the hockey is phenomenal. For high school hockey I'd put it on par with jr.A and nearly major junior. Every year players get drafted from that squad, to major junior and some to the NHL.

The York Simcoe Express (AAA) use the arena and I watched Quinton Byfield play Bantam and Minor Midget there.

Anyway, yeah it is a rich kid school. At the same time it was inspiring to me and I'd love to send my kids to some place like that. And outside of the school, it was cool that they have an arrangement for the local minor AAA team.
Just my two cents.
Ridley College is better :naughty::sarcasm:

Reactions: Tofveve

Lupuls Grit

Oct 12, 2018
Orillia
There are many barriers to playing hockey but one of the main barriers is that if you don't start at a young age, it is very difficult to join a team and be even remotely competitive with your peer group. My son started in Novice (Age 8) and he was already far behind the other kids and has never really caught up. Of course, he loves to play and wants to continue but hockey is not like many other sports that can be picked up as an older child. Of course, for those who live in decent sized cities in Canada (and presumably northern US), there are lots of beginner leagues for adults (which is what I started in). I'm not really sure there is a fix for this but as far as private schools, yes, no surprise that so many current stars were not the Gordie Howe, poor Prariries farm boy. Such players still exist but don't have the training, ice time or coaching to be noticed at a young age like those with the privilege of private school.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad