Blue Jays Discussion: The Price is Right (Jays acquire David Price from Det for Norris, Boyd, Labourt)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morguee

Jan 22, 2010
Is anyone keeping a running tally on the number of pitchers sent out by the Jays this week. I have no idea of their quality but it seems every trade is two or three pitchers going from the Jays.:amazed:

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
Hope the cost isn't more than a Smoral + Davis package (Tirado and Cordero supposedly)I still don't put him in the lead off spot, or Travis for that matter. Only way I put Travis at lead off is if Tulo doesn't like it/does poorly there

Tulo
Donaldson
Bautista
Encarnacion
Martin
Smoak/Colabello/Valencia
Pillar
Revere
Travis

Not really big on Pillar at 7, but it's the 7-hole, and it kinda puts the traditional 1-2 ahead of Tulo to turn the lineup over and give the RBI opportunities people want, while still giving the mashers the most ABs possible.

mikebel111*

I can live with that. would have preferred to keep Tirado, but happy its not our top ones we gave up

tml19

Nov 30, 2013
Mississauga, Ontario
I liked Tirado but it's not too bad. Man it's like AA decided empty the pitching farm. No position prospects allowed to be traded.

Neither is stretched out though. Their first "start" would be like 2 innings.

I have a feeling Price has already talked to AA about resigning. Then they have quite a few guys under control for a while. They don't really need to worry about pitching prospects at that point making them expendable.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Beauty. Thanks. So what individual stats are used for the wrC+?

The actual math is kind of complicated because it's basically an amalgam of stats that are in and of themselves amalgams of other stats.

It's buit on wOBA, league averages, and park adjustments.

Basically it takes the idea of OPS and corrects for the fact that SLG weights the different types of hits on a linear scale (singles are worth half as much as doubles, a third as much as triples, and a quarter as much as HRs) when in reality that's just not the case. It also pulls in the impact of unintentional walks and HBPs.

wRC+ takes that, synthesizes it a little more and adjusts it to express in terms of the league average.

so a guy with a 100 wRC+ is basically entirely league average offensively. 120 is 20% better than league average. 95 is 5% worse than league average, etc.

That last bit is basically what you need to know. Understanding the specific construction is secondary to knowing what it represents.

http://www.fangraphs.com/library/offense/wrc/

and now we can relax on the Revere price. Jimmy Cordero and Alberto Tirado are nothing pieces. I always liked Tirado, but he hasn't developed as hoped. They're relievers at best.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
I'm holding out hope they trade Colabello for a minor league starter to give us some depth. Jays got bottom of the barrel stuff if a starter gets injured.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
1. SS Tulowitzki
2. 3B Donaldson
3. RF Bautista
4. DH Encarnacion
5. 1B Smoak
6. C Martin
7. LF Carrera
8. CF Pillar
9. 2B Goins

Hutch vs Cueto (Royals debut)

Lineup tonight

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Does AA have it in him to go get us another starter lol? Not that I can be greedy at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad