Speculation: The Price for Jack Eichel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
I just read an article that said the Rangers inquired about trading for Eichel and were told the price would be Lafreniere + Kaako + 1st.

I'm assuming the article is just media fodder, but if not, are thr Sabres delusional? Anyone who thinks they get that return is out of their minds.
The Sabers would be crazy to not ask for the moon for Eichel.

A team would be crazy to pay the moon.

There is a difference.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
I don't blame the Rangers from balking at the ask, but the reality is that Eichel is a proven PPG player since his Rookie season.

Kakko & Lafreniere
- 99 Career GP , 16G 18A, 34P

Eichels Rookie Season (at 19) - 81 GP 24G, 32A , 56P

One is not like the others, can you guess which?

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
I don't blame the Rangers from balking at the ask, but the reality is that Eichel is a proven PPG player since his Rookie season.

Kakko & Lafreniere

Proven PPG player since his rookie season by putting up 56pts in 81 games?

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Replace Kakko with a center and a D prospect and I think it makes more sense:

Eichel for Lafreniere + Chytil + Schneider + 1st

or

Eichel for Lafreniere + Strome + Lundkvist + 1st

Steep price to pay, but we're talking about a potential 100+ point center here. Have to give to get.

bellringer77

Nov 14, 2017
I get that its probably the ask and not bad to ask for that but I think they wouldn’t trade both those guys just based upon you’d wanna keep one around for Eichel. These kinds of trades are scary though and almost never turn out equal value.

I’d love Eichel but trading for him could either blow up in your face or be a steal with that kind of stuff

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011

Kakko & Lafreniere

No one is denying what Eichel is. He's a top-10C in the league, on a good year a top-5C. That said, Kakko and Laf, as much as they have struggled so far, still have very big potential. Rangers can maybe give up one of 'em for Eichel. 1. Not both. I think Rangers would prefer to keep both and throw Buch on the package and some defensive prospects instead. Which obviously makes Buffalo to hang up, but if Eichel is unhappy who knows...

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I just read an article that said the Rangers inquired about trading for Eichel and were told the price would be Lafreniere + Kaako + 1st.

I'm assuming the article is just media fodder, but if not, are thr Sabres delusional? Anyone who thinks they get that return is out of their minds.

I'm sorry, did you want the Sabres to give him away out of the kindness of their hearts?

That's actually a pretty reasonable ask IMO. Vegas should be all over that.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
No one is denying what Eichel is. He's a top-10C in the league, on a good year a top-5C. That said, Kakko and Laf, as much as they have struggled so far, still have very big potential. Rangers can maybe give up one of 'em for Eichel. 1. Not both. I think Rangers would prefer to keep both and throw Buch on the package and some defensive prospects instead.

Every team would like to keep their bluechip prospects and trade other assets for a franchise center. It simply doesn't work that way.

Proven>Potential. So if you want make a deal based on the premise of potential, you have to give more of it for the proven piece.

I could understand if one of Laff or Kakko was scoring at a decent clip, but they aren't. Centers will always be more valuable then complimentary wingers, especially ones who were hyped to hell and have looked ok but not spectacular at all.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Seems pretty reasonable to me...

Established franchise center for two (albeit very good) question marks and a mid to late 1st.
Lots of risk for Buffalo. I would ask for one of the Rangers great young D instead of Kakko. And I would guess salary such as Strome would need to go back.

Eichel -> Strome, Lafrenniere, Lindgren and a 1st.

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
I think the Rangers would have Laf as a complete non starter. For whatever reason the trade I see happening is something like Kakko + K'Andre + Kravstov + 1st.

Reactions: JUSTGIROUXIT

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Buffalo likely doesnt value Kakko as a 2nd overall anymore
Then he is off the table. Despite his lack of scoring, he has looked very good so far this year. Yeah yeah, moral victories and whatnot but he's not a bust that's getting traded for chips.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I don't believe that any self-respecting writer actual put that into words. OP is reading some no name blogger or just making shit up :laugh:

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018

If I’m the Rangers I take that yesterday. The chances of getting an Eichel caliber player at the draft are very low.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
Eichel is a much better player than both those guys, and was also much better in his rookie year. I think it's a fair ask. In almost any other draft year Eichel goes 1st overall, just happened to be one guy better than him in that stacked draft.

Reactions: JUSTGIROUXIT

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
Matthews is a better player, but not by that much. Eichel has a much better contract.

As to the rumoured offer, it's heavy, but probably fair (once you include some salary going back to buffalo). When is the last time a top 5 center, controlled for 5+ seasons on a solid contract was traded? There's no comparable. There's a very strong chance that Eichel is the best piece in the trade.

I disagree. Matthews is a much better player and seems to be getting better.. Eichel is good dont get me wrong but not in that category.

When was the last time a 1st and 2nd overall was traded in the same package literally a year and two after they were drafted. Way more top level players have been moved then a package like that. Especially for a player that if he is traded wanted out.

Reactions: Voight
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad