Prospect Info: The Adolescent 2019 Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Hound

Oct 10, 2015
My Oilers fandom overrides my desire to see fun hockey by other teams. ;)
I hear you, but I meant the Sedins, not the team in general lol. I think most hockey fans love to watch #97, it sure is a treat. In terms of fun hockey regarding teams, had Brady and Matt been drafted on the same team, that team would be the most entertaining team in the league lol, or if we landed Laine.

The Hound

Oct 10, 2015
Josh Williams of Med Hat looks decent.
I’m excited to watch him play live a bunch this year. If we can snag him (hopefully) late first round I’ll be happy. It’s unlikely, but I really hope Nick Robertson is available in the second round, he doesn’t have his brothers size but I like the way he plays. I want Ryan Suzuki the most, but not at the cost of picking top 10-15 again.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
I came away impressed with him as well. TBH the only player I didn’t like on Canada was Mutala.
Podkolzin,Suzuki and Faranacci also very good.

I’m excited to watch him play live a bunch this year. If we can snag him (hopefully) late first round I’ll be happy. It’s unlikely, but I really hope Nick Robertson is available in the second round, he doesn’t have his brothers size but I like the way he plays. I want Ryan Suzuki the most, but not at the cost of picking top 10-15 again.

Another player boys is Raphael Lavoie. I'm high on him.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
With Kakko now looking like a potential 2nd OA maybe challenging Hughes for 1OA, it really seems like Finland's dramatically turned their development program around. From 5-10 years ago, where their top picks are few and far between, it seems like every year they have some top flight prospect (usually multiple) challenging for the very top of the draft now. Off the top of my head: Barkov, Laine, Puljujarvi, Heiskanen, and now Kakko, and I'm sure I've missed some.

Since we've had some knowledgeable Finnish posters join us since Pulju was drafted, I figured I'd ask - @PulYou @GameChanger etc - do you guys have any insight as to what changed?

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
With Kakko now looking like a potential 2nd OA maybe challenging Hughes for 1OA, it really seems like Finland's dramatically turned their development program around. From 5-10 years ago, where their top picks are few and far between, it seems like every year they have some top flight prospect (usually multiple) challenging for the very top of the draft now. Off the top of my head: Barkov, Laine, Puljujarvi, Heiskanen, and now Kakko, and I'm sure I've missed some.

Since we've had some knowledgeable Finnish posters join us since Pulju was drafted, I figured I'd ask - @PulYou @GameChanger etc - do you guys have any insight as to what changed?

There's Anttoni Honka(Julius' brother) as well.

He's a right-handed offensive defenseman too. Sitting at 3 points in 3 games in the Finnish league right now.

Reactions: Aerrol

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Also speaking of Finnish defensemen, I just noticed that Aapeli Rasanen's brother, Ilvari, is draft eligible this year.

6'0'' 195lbs left-handed defenseman. Looks to have some offense in his game. 7 points in 7 games in Finnish Junior A.

From Eliteprospects:
"two-way defenceman … good first pass … likes to jump into the rush … plays with poise and confidence … strong hockey IQ … logs tons of minutes, ISS Hockey 2017"

PulYou

Feb 16, 2018

Before there was this mentality in junior coaching called "koko Suomi pelaa" meaning whole Finland plays. Thankfully they noticed this was not doing favours to the gifted ones, so they changed the mentality in junior developement.

Tried to Google when "the mentality" changed, but did not quickly find any info about it. Pulju and Laine I guess are good examples from the changed perspective.

Reactions: Aerrol

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016

You are right, things have changed a lot in that regard. Above PulYou mentioned the main thing and besides that there are several smaller changes.

Nowadays the best young players are placed amongst often much older players or even adults. I'm sure many of the players you mentioned would not be the same players if they'd stayed amongst their peers for longer. The teams are not so afraid to place the very best youngsters with the best players and 1st PP if that helps the team and is the best way to utilize the player (e.g.Laine, Heiskanen).

Today especially the biggest FEL teams have a close connection to a team playing at the 2nd level. In practise that is like a farm team, which can be of help when you want to put a young player with adults but if they're not getting enough ice-time in the FEL. That was the case with Puljujarvi in his first FEL year, although he did surprisingly well in the FEL games he got.

I also read they've tried to develop the junior coaching side. Many U20 teams have quality coaches and coaches that have close connections to the FEL team. Some teams have also adjusted the playing style of their U20 team to that of the FEL team, which makes it easier for a young player to step up.

As in the NHL (though not as much) the FEL is now very different what it used to be when it comes to using your stick for other things but playing the puck. That makes it easier for a bit smaller players like Sebastian Aho to step in and survive and even thrive. That also leaves room on the ice for skilled players (Kotkaniemi, Kupari etc.).

Gordian Knot

Jul 3, 2016
I think one of the biggest things has been that coaching at every level is focused much more on individual development of players. Honing their skills and developing weaknesses. Before it was more that team coaches focused only the systems they want their players to play and let all development at individual level happen by players themselves. Finland lost couple generations of good players who then became terrific team players and grinders but who never maximized their own potential. This bad era started after Koivu & Lehtinen entered NHL and started to end somewhere in the early parts of this decade. Now we just see faster and better development paths and good youngsters take their spots in FEL teams at the age of 16-18 and then show up on drafts.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I think one of the biggest things has been that coaching at every level is focused much more on individual development of players. Honing their skills and developing weaknesses. Before it was more that team coaches focused only the systems they want their players to play and let all development at individual level happen by players themselves. Finland lost couple generations of good players who then became terrific team players and grinders but who never maximized their own potential. This bad era started after Koivu & Lehtinen entered NHL and started to end somewhere in the early parts of this decade. Now we just see faster and better development paths and good youngsters take their spots in FEL teams at the age of 16-18 and then show up on drafts.

At the risk of stirring up a hornets nest, this sounds a lot like the Oilers problem with development - complete failure to develop the individual strengths of their draft picks.

Kind of satisfying in a roundabout way to hear Finland identified it as a serious problem and corrected it to great results.

jlockhart89

Humboldt Strong
Jul 16, 2004
Humboldt, SK
Logan Barlage is a dark horse candidate to move up the draft board, maybe I'm biased because he's from Humboldt, but this kid oozes size and skill. He was a highly touted pick in the bantam draft, but got lost in the shuffle of Swift Current's incredibly deep team the last 2 years.

He was the primary piece going back to Lethbridge in the Stuart Skinner block buster last year, and his game started trending upwards after the move. It will be interesting to see where he winds up this season, if he gets going early; and with all the scouts eyes on Cozens in Lethbridge, I wouldn't be surprised to see him as a high 2nd or late 1st.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad