The potential of the Rangers vs Islanders R1 thriller ?!

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
More like a defensive series, it would be cool to see NY vs NY but I wouldn't expect it to be a Thrilling series.

I know anything can change in the playoffs and the Rangers tend to play defensive hockey in the playoffs as do most teams, but currently the Rangers are 4th in the league in goals scored per game and the Islanders 7th. These are not two inept scoring clubs.

RangersOwnNewYork*

More like a defensive series, it would be cool to see NY vs NY but I wouldn't expect it to be a Thrilling series.

I wouldn't expect somebody who doesn't live in the NY area to understand the emotions that would be involved if these teams meet in the playoffs again. This series would absolutely be thrilling. Both teams are fast, skilled, and can score. It would be very entertaining, trust me.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
One thing that the Islanders need to address to win a series against any team is their PK. It's worst in the league by a mile at 72.9. That's just unreal. I remember when we were around 79 this year and it felt like we'd give one up every time we were on the PK.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I wouldn't expect somebody who doesn't live in the NY area to understand the emotions that would be involved if these teams meet in the playoffs again. This series would absolutely be thrilling. Both teams are fast, skilled, and can score. It would be very entertaining, trust me.

He probably thinks the Rangers are still 20th in the league offensively.

CH25

Self-proclaimed Habs connoisseur
Apr 12, 2010
Montreal
When was the last time a series involving the Rangers was a "thriller" ?

RangersOwnNewYork*

When was the last time a series involving the Rangers was a "thriller" ?

Did you actually watch any of their series last year? The score doesn't have to be 6-5 for the hockey to be entertaining. I thought the series against pitt and Montreal were very entertaining. I thought the hockey played in the finals was incredible. Even though it ended in 5 games 3 of those games went into OT and 2 of them went to double OT. People seem to think this is the Torts coached rangers. It is not!! The rangers under AV, although defensively responsible, push the pace and try to exploit teams with their speed. They create a lot of scoring opportunities are one of the better offensive teams in the league. Try watching a few games.

SpeedDemon

Apr 13, 2011
Classified
I desperately am hoping for a NYI 2nd half collapse but I would LOVE NYI/NYR in the playoffs. Would be so frickin awesome.

what are you a Sabres fan hoping to see Buffalo get Eichel and McDavid ?? Or an Oilers fan thinking the sabres will trade their first or the isles first for Draisaitl or something so edmonton can nab Eichel and McDavid ??

Personally If it came to Rags vs Isles I think Rags would win no contest. Isles still have track record for not playing a full 60 minutes (cost them 3 games in December alone). Also Halak is no Lundqvist or perhaps even Talbot. Johnson is even worse. The Isles were grasping at straws when they lost Hamonic and Boychuk. Imagine if they lost Halak- recipe for disaster.

The Rags meanwhile had managed to win games with 4 of their blueliners injured or suspended. Their problems come when their offense is the shelf.

Looking at footage from the recent games Isles have given up the blue line too easily and too often. I'd say the Rags rely too heavily on their star talent (i.e. Nash and St. Louis) recently.

looking at the situation #'s wise
Offense- about even. (Rags have the better talent but the Isles are I think more balanced)
Defense- advantage Rags
Goaltending- advantage Rags
Special teams- HUGE ADVANTAGE RAGS

CH25

Self-proclaimed Habs connoisseur
Apr 12, 2010
Montreal
Did you actually watch any of their series last year? The score doesn't have to be 6-5 for the hockey to be entertaining. I thought the series against pitt and Montreal were very entertaining. I thought the hockey played in the finals was incredible. Even though it ended in 5 games 3 of those games went into OT and 2 of them went to double OT. People seem to think this is the Torts coached rangers. It is not!! The rangers under AV, although defensively responsible, push the pace and try to exploit teams with their speed. They create a lot of scoring opportunities are one of the better offensive teams in the league. Try watching a few games.

I watch a lot of hockey. I watched almost every game after the first round. I'm not saying the games weren't entertaining because they definitely were. But compared to some other series, those that you mentioned were nowhere near as good. In the Pens series the Rangers got shut out 2 games in a row. Those were some pretty boring games. I'd say the most entertaining series involving the Rangers was the finals, but it's hard not to be excited when the cup is on the line even if the outcome was predictable.

ZeroPT*

what are you a Sabres fan hoping to see Buffalo get Eichel and McDavid ?? Or an Oilers fan thinking the sabres will trade their first or the isles first for Draisaitl or something so edmonton can nab Eichel and McDavid ??

Personally If it came to Rags vs Isles I think Rags would win no contest. Isles still have track record for not playing a full 60 minutes (cost them 3 games in December alone). Also Halak is no Lundqvist or perhaps even Talbot. Johnson is even worse. The Isles were grasping at straws when they lost Hamonic and Boychuk. Imagine if they lost Halak- recipe for disaster.

The Rags meanwhile had managed to win games with 4 of their blueliners injured or suspended. Their problems come when their offense is the shelf.

Looking at footage from the recent games Isles have given up the blue line too easily and too often. I'd say the Rags rely too heavily on their star talent (i.e. Nash and St. Louis) recently.

Offense- about even. (Rags have the better talent but the Isles are I think more balanced)
Defense- advantage Rags

what

RangersOwnNewYork*

I watch a lot of hockey. I watched almost every game after the first round. I'm not saying the games weren't entertaining because they definitely were. But compared to some other series, those that you mentioned were nowhere near as good. In the Pens series the Rangers got shut out 2 games in a row. Those were some pretty boring games. I'd say the most entertaining series involving the Rangers was the finals, but it's hard not to be excited when the cup is on the line even if the outcome was predictable.

I think the reason the rangers were lethargic in the middle of the pens series is because they were in the midst of playing 6 playoff games in 9 days which is totally absurd. Once they got a little rest, well, we know what happened.

dok101

Jan 2, 2006
New York
The rivalry hasn't been what it once was because the Isles haven't been very good for a long time.

The Isles' irrelevancy, although a significant factor, is not the only reason the rivalry is not what it used to be. Sure, the Rangers have performed well for the last decade. But, let us not forget the Rangers failed to qualify for the playoffs for 7 consecutive seasons, between 97/98 and 03/04.

As for a potential playoff series between the two teams, I am not sure I could handle it. Would probably have a heart attack. Plus, bad memories from the last time we met in the playoffs (93/94).

RangersOwnNewYork*

The Isles' irrelevancy, although a significant factor, is not the only reason the rivalry is not what it used to be. Sure, the Rangers have performed well for the last decade. But, let us not forget the Rangers failed to qualify for the playoffs for 7 consecutive seasons, between 97/98 and 03/04.

As for a potential playoff series between the two teams, I am not sure I could handle it. Would probably have a heart attack. Plus, bad memories from the last time we met in the playoffs (93/94).

Yea, if they meet I'm going to make sure I have some blood pressure meds nearby.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

Dude, the Rangers lost in 5 3 of them in pretty heartbreaking fashion and I still thought that was a thrilling series. 3 OT games, 2 double OT. Multiple multi-goal comebacks, multiple 3rd period comebacks. The 3-0 and 2-1 games sucked, but you almost never get a series without any duds. If the Rangers managed to get a couple of bounces and the series went 7, I think this would be one of the more thrilling cup finals in a while. Honestly, this is coming from someone that usually thinks the Kings are boring unless they're playing a team like the Hawks and someone whose team lost in 5. It was short, but 3 games were awesome, 2 were even better than that.

As far as the Pens series, I thought it was weird, the shutout losses were boring, but the OT win was entertaining, game 7 was entertaining, and I think game 6 was entertaining. So half that series sucked. That said there was ****** hockey because both teams were tired and the schedule makers made a really compact schedule.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Love how the Rangers are 6 points behind the Isles but according to Rangers fans they'd sweep the series winning every game 9-0.

How about you pass us in the standings first, then maybe you can go back to proclaiming your obvious superiority ;).

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Love how the Rangers are 6 points behind the Isles but according to Rangers fans they'd sweep the series winning every game 9-0.

How about you pass us in the standings first, then maybe you can go back to proclaiming your obvious superiority ;).

I haven't seen anyone say that we're sweeping the series much less winning every game 9-0. We also have 2 games in hand, so 6 points doesn't mean that much. Someone getting defensive? ;)

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I haven't seen anyone say that we're sweeping the series much less winning every game 9-0. We also have 2 games in hand, so 6 points doesn't mean that much. Someone getting defensive? ;)

I'm exaggerating to prove a point but look at all this cockiness from a team 6 points behind in the standings...

Rangers are superior everywhere except Center ice, this is Rangers in 5 or 6. Tight,defensive hockey

Dude, its Christmas day not April Fools.

Defense- advantage Rags

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
It's the Rangers. When they do well, it's either they're a fluke or they're boring. These posts don't surprise me.

Anyway, this would be a sick series. Think it'd go to 7, but that the Rangers have the edge overall, mostly in D/Goaltending.

RangersOwnNewYork*

I'm exaggerating to prove a point but look at all this cockiness from a team 6 points behind in the standings...

Put things in perspective please. I was responding to somebody to who said Isles would sweep the series. Who's cocky now?

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

I'm fairly certain that not one of those people are regulars on hfnyr or are primarily ranger fans. No offense to anyone if I'm mistaken, I'm just on my phone and don't recognize the user names at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad