The potential of the Rangers vs Islanders R1 thriller ?!

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
Yes they are a whopping 0.06 goals per game better than the Isles having played a weak schedule

lol @ weak schedule.

I guess pens 3x, blues 2x, lighting 3x, red wings 2x and a few single games against playoff seaded teams before game 33 is what you call a "weak" schedule. Especially considering the rangers have played a grand total of [4] games healthy. That's right, Four.

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
He was on the ice with Johnson and Poulin this morning and share a net with Johnson. It's not serious at all. Good chance you see him start on Monday against Washington

Players placed on IR for injury can't play for a minimum of 7 days and call me crazy but i don't think halak would be going on IR for the snifffles.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Because the Ranger's top five offense and top five/ten defense is nothing

Never did I say it was nothing...

I think the Isles have the offense and defense good enough to match the rangers.

If Nash is hot then it would be a bit harder but the isles can score and when all 6 dmen are healthy they are good defensively...

There is only 2 areas I would give the Rangers a distinct advantage. Goaltending(which is huge) and coaching.

I was in no way bashing the rangers. In fact if you put a gun to my head and a series started today I would probably pick the Rags to win..

Isles special teams are beyond bad and that's whats going to doom this team.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
If the Isles don't improve the special teams it wont matter who we play in the first round because we will be going home early.

As far as the Rags, the only thing that would worry me is the Queen Henrik being at the top of his game. He has the ability to absolutely dominate.

Why so sexist?

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
This would be a Cool First Round considering the geographical rivalries :

NYR-NYI
Phi-Pitt
Tor-Mtl
Fla-TB

Which is why they went to this divisional format to begin with. This would be sweet if it happens.

Boring old rags quietly have a top 5 offense this year. HF gonna hate

Devils from 99-01 were 3rd, 2nd, and 1st offensively in those seasons, and still called boring. :dunno:

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
He was put on retroactive on 12/20. So he'll only have to miss one game aka tonight.

I think that's what everyone is hoping...plus with Halak being on ice for pratice today, this could be a move to give Poulin some games and potentially replace Johnson as the backup...he has been horribad this season

Nolanitis

Feb 19, 2007
NYC
lol @ weak schedule.

I guess pens 3x, blues 2x, lighting 3x, red wings 2x and a few single games against playoff seaded teams before game 33 is what you call a "weak" schedule. Especially considering the rangers have played a grand total of [4] games healthy. That's right, Four.

Hmmm, Isles have not been completely healthy all year, not once.

And you left off the Hurricanes x3, Flyers x3, Oilers x2, Blue Jackets (when they were really struggling), Flames (also mired in a slump), and Devils.

Bottomline both teams are good this season, and if this thread proves anything, the rivalry is ready to take off again. Let's hope for a classic season race followed by a 2nd round playoff

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Deep down, there's nothing the Rangers fear more than a legitimately talented Isles team. Should they meet in the playoffs, it's a no win situation. If they win, well they were supposed to being the defending conference champs with unlimited payroll. But if they lose, the fans will never hear the end of it.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Deep down, there's nothing the Rangers fear more than a legitimately talented Isles team. Should they meet in the playoffs, it's a no win situation. If they win, well they were supposed to being the defending conference champs with unlimited payroll. But if they lose, the fans will never hear the end of it.
Knocking the Isles out for their last series at the Coliseum > that, AINEC. We never get credit for jack**** in the playoffs anyway.

I wouldn't want to play the Isles though just because they always play us hard, even when they were garbage.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA

I think they fear physical shutdown teams like the Kings and Bruins more than a speedy Isles team. The Isles have question marks on defense and goaltending still that are waiting to be exploited. The 3 teams the Rangers beat last season were pretty similar to the Isles in playing style.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
You realize the Rangers system and Montreal's system is very similar, right? The Rangers beat Montreal last year because they played that system better.

But I wouldn't expect anyone to fear a team that just went to the finals, especially if that team is the Rangers.

Sorry, but I disagree. Therrien is more defensive minded than Vigneault imo

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013

The only team we "fear" is LA because they are literally the worst possible matchup we could have.

RangersOwnNewYork*

There is this thing called the salary cap. No team has an unlimited payroll.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY

There's a thing called the salary cap. If you're an Islander fan, I guess it's possible you never heard of it.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Hmmm, Isles have not been completely healthy all year, not once.

And you left off the Hurricanes x3, Flyers x3, Oilers x2, Blue Jackets (when they were really struggling), Flames (also mired in a slump), and Devils.

Bottomline both teams are good this season, and if this thread proves anything, the rivalry is ready to take off again. Let's hope for a classic season race followed by a 2nd round playoff

It was like game 2 of the season for the Blue Jackets. How much could have been struggling then? :laugh:

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Wow, I know the Islanders haven't made the playoffs much since the lockout, I guess it makes sense that your insults are dated. "Unlimited payroll". You guys forgot. Rag$ or Ranger$.

GTislanders

Jan 9, 2014
It depends who gets home ice IMHO. A start at home for the Islanders vs. the Rangers would be a big boost IMHO. Yes, there would be quite a few Ranger fans, but really not that many, considering the Isles fans always pack that place during the playoffs.

Irregardless, the environment because of invading fans at BOTH arenas will be amazing. I honestly hope it happens. It will turn the boys of the Islanders into men real quick and it would require that Boychuk and the likes really take it to the next level. The Rangers are a very good team with a superstar goaltender. Halal would have to be lights out.

The rangers would probably be expected to win regardless of the home ice situation. So I would have to say the pressure would be on them from the start.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York

Unlimited payroll? In a hard salary cap league, why does this matter? The days of the Rangers getting players to come play by giving them massive contracts are over and you know what? The team now is far better than any of those teams ever were.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Unlimited payroll? In a hard salary cap league, why does this matter? The days of the Rangers getting players to come play by giving them massive contracts are over and you know what? The team now is far better than any of those teams ever were.

Totally agree just take a look at the roster and the the top players on the team are homegrown (or acquired by trading homegrown players). Only one lousy contract was given via free agency currently on the team and that's tanner glass (1.5 per) and possibly Dan Boyle but he was injured for quite a few games so jury still out on him.

Trainmman

May 29, 2014
Jersey
That would be a very fun matchup to watch.

Islanders aren't a joke this year. The pieces are finally coming together. The team that could spoil the party could be Washington though.. hey Crosby vs Ovechkin, we all want that right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad