The potential of the Rangers vs Islanders R1 thriller ?!

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
How realistic is this series now? Some hypothetical predictions for it, etc..

Personally, I would be thrilled to see this in R1, both as a Pens fan(just to avoid the tough R1 matchups) and as a hockey fan (**** yeah).

Is it too early to predict it? Because for me, this series is almost a lock to happen.. I just can´t see the Caps and the Metro-company to compete vs the Rangers and Isles for those 2 & 3 playoffs spots. Maybe there´s some potential of the New Yorks catching up the depleted Pens, but the Pens should benefit from this Christmas break and hopefully get some players back (and hold on their 1st spot).

If this series happens, it´s gonna be epic. I think the Rangers would eventually do it in 7, but..

Discuss.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It's early yet, but it would be good. If I had to make a prediction right now, I'd have that as the matchup.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I'd love that matchup to happen, if it happens I think the Rangers take in 6, they just have more experience. I won't get into the talent as I don't know that much about the Islanders, I've honestly not been following the NHL as much as usually do because of school and a hectic schedule.

May 23, 2012
That would be a great matchup for hockey and that region of the country. It would also get the passion back into the rivalry. Hope it happens.:yo:

ZeroPT*

I desperately am hoping for a NYI 2nd half collapse but I would LOVE NYI/NYR in the playoffs. Would be so frickin awesome.

RangersOwnNewYork*

I hate the Islanders more than any team in any sport. Nothing has made me happier than their irrelevancy the last 20 years. I must admit though that they have a very good team this year and added some nice pieces in the off season. I believe they are going to meet in the first round and it will be epic.

didimentionlarseller

Snipers are a dying bread in the NHL
Nov 23, 2014
St Henri
Id like the Isles to win that just for selfish reasons (then again id be cool seeing McD playing for a cup again - if the Habs arent there) but then if the Islanders win thats actually almost scarier given Halak's playoff history.

I still think i'd rather play a hotstreak Halak than Lundqvist in playoffs

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Nothing would be sweeter then sending out the Nassau Colisseum with the Isles losing in the playoffs to the Rangers on their ice. Nothing.

Would be a great series though.

War Admiral

Mar 24, 2006
Long Island
Nothing would be sweeter then sending out the Nassau Colisseum with the Isles losing in the playoffs to the Rangers on their ice. Nothing.

Would be a great series though.

Followed by another 4 Stanley Cup run (this time in Brooklyn). Yes...it would be truly "sweet"!

RangersOwnNewYork*

Followed by another 4 Stanley Cup run (this time in Brooklyn). Yes...it would be truly "sweet"!

Yea, ok. It's not the 1980's anymore. The days of consecutive cups are history. Maybe they should actually win a playoff series first.

RangersOwnNewYork*

Is the rivality between Islanders and Rangers still so hot?

The rivalry hasn't been what it once was because the Isles haven't been very good for a long time. I think most ranger fans view the devils as the no. 1 rival. Not me though. I hate the Isles more than any other team and if they meet in the playoffs the rivalry will be as heated as ever.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
It wouldn't take much for the rivalry to get heated up again. I agree though the last 10/15 years the devils have been the rangers main rival. I can only imagine the intensity and anticipation in the coliseum for game 1 if it happens...and if the islanders had home ice of course

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
More like a defensive series, it would be cool to see NY vs NY but I wouldn't expect it to be a Thrilling series.

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
Assuming they get there (which I'm pretty sure they will), the playoffs will be a huge test of Capuano's mettle as a coach. As a Rangers fan, I'd like to imagine that could be the x-factor that makes them fizzle out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad