OT: The podcast thread

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
I can't listen to Rogan any longer, not since he soldout the last 6 months, total turd. I think we should start a decent Habs podcast, there isn't any good ones out there.

I floated the idea in the Montreal media thread that the hfhabs/greater habs community could likely put something together that rivals anything currently available, but I don't know how many there are with the entrepreneurial spirit here.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Pretty nerdy, but I love philosophy, psychotherapy and political conferences on youtube. Listened to most recordings I could find of Chomsky. There's some really good stuff on psychoanalysis, Yeomans (who treats group B personality disorders) has some stuff on there (his master classes cost a decent buck). Theres way more, but anyone who has that kind of stuff to recommend I'm always open to it.
Not nerdy.

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
Making Sense - Super interesting subject matter with one of my heroes, Sam Harris
Radio Scouts Podcast - Blue Jays podcast done by a bunch of guys on a Jays web board i frequent.
Sleep with Me - Podcast i listen to when insomnia strikes

I don't listen to a ton of podcasts, but looking at my Spotify account, these would be my most frequent listens.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
I run my own podcast, via Balle Courbe (a web site made by URBANIA and RDS), which is called Admettons que...

admettons que... - Balle Courbe

Visuel0200_Hossa-1-640x360.png

It's a speculation show for hockey nerds, where we take one trade that happened in the NHL and the past 15 years and ask ourselves what could have gone differently, just for the heck of it

We had two seasons, and we will be recording a live show in Gatineau in April, at Transistor Festival. Anyone in the Gatineau-Ottawa are should come and say hi. It will be a lot of fun. This will mark the start of our 3rd season

Every episodes (including one we just made about Marian Hossa infamous gloves) are available on soundcloud, itunes, spotify, etc. Admettons que...

Reactions: TRG

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
Well he's changed quite a bit. Having spooks around like Callen probably doesn't help.

Bruh Bryan Callen isn’t the spook. That’s Eddy Bravo. Talks about the Earth being flat for an hour then says “I’m not saying it’s true, just look into it.”

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
my weekly rotation includes :
  • Giant Beastcast (gaming)
  • some of the Kinda Funny podcasts (movies, general rambling, gaming, they do a lot of things)
  • La soirée est encore jeune (Radio-canada radio show)
  • Ça s'explique (also Radio-Canada, they give you a short and sweet summary of news topic)

Otherwise I would recommend 2 more out of left field :
  • Sean Carroll's Mindscape (if any of you like Startalk, and/or like space science stuff, and or sociology stuff)
  • The Film Reroll (they take popular movie scripts and play a game of DnD based on those, it's really fun to see how wildly off track it can go)

And I would also add that Pocketcast is the best app on the market IMO, their silence trimmer is incredible

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
Rogan is awful. I don't understand why people like him so much. :dunno:

Total *****e-bro. I liked him on Newsradio and he's good with the UFC, but I can't stomach him otherwise.

The thing is he's a decent host, he understands how to relax his guests and make them talk... But I am so conflicted on everything else, sometimes he's super smart and actually tries to understand things, other times he goes fully off the rail with misinformed trash like the biggest idiot dude-bro ever. Also not a fan of him giving a massive platform to some people who just don't deserve one, but for most of them they shot themselves in the foot so meh

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I love philosophy and Chomsky is obviously one of my favorites, too. The classic Foucault/Chomsky clash of titan on human nature almost turned me into a philosophy major :laugh:

I only watched one of the snippets from it. A good size one. Foucault drags some nuance out of Chomsky which is nice (don't hate Chomsky. Used to be a big fan). Po-Mo has it's utility (the little I know of it) but it's severe limitations need to be acknowledged more and it's over bearing influence on Western Culture should definitely have the reins put on it. I don't like Peterson's witch hunt style of taking on Post Modernism but I don't think he's far off on it's negative influence. Like I said there's utility there and it shouldn't be abolished off the face of the planet but I think it's a major player in a culture that endlessly criticizes and only criticizes from a pretty narrow point of view.

Not exactly a podcast but if you like philosophy, there's a great channel by a guy called John David Ebert. He is utterly brilliant and goes through many of the harder tougher philosophical works in the Western Canon and breaks them down and makes them quite simple without dumbing them down. He's pretty out there. He interviews dead figures of philosophy and culture through a medium. I only watched a few minutes of one with Heidegger and I wasn't buying it though I'll admit I'm actually pretty amenable to occult woo woo.

Now that might turn some people off lol but it shouldn't because he's amazing. Tackles Derrida, Heidegger, Deleuze, Hegel, Kant and LOADS of others. His crowning achievement (from the ones I've seen of his) would be his probably 15 hour breakdown of Oswald Spengler's Decline of the West which is just a crazy book. It veers on a bit of woo for sure but there's just a breathtaking amount of ideas in that work.

If you're not a hard nosed materialist I can't recommend him enough. He takes on Peterson's first book. Didn't watch it but I don't think he likes it. He calls him a lightweight lol. I actually like JP but I know what he means. He's been a revelation for me because many of the tougher works of philosophy I couldn't read on my own like Derrida's Of Grammatology and Kant's Critique of Pure Reason. He did a great job on both (though I hadn't finished Kant).

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Making Sense - Super interesting subject matter with one of my heroes, Sam Harris
Radio Scouts Podcast - Blue Jays podcast done by a bunch of guys on a Jays web board i frequent.
Sleep with Me - Podcast i listen to when insomnia strikes

I don't listen to a ton of podcasts, but looking at my Spotify account, these would be my most frequent listens.
OH making sense is a favorite of mine too.

What is sleep with me ? As a bad sleeper anything that can give me an edge in bed (No, not that bed) interests me.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I only watched one of the snippets from it. A good size one. Foucault drags some nuance out of Chomsky which is nice (don't hate Chomsky. Used to be a big fan). Po-Mo has it's utility (the little I know of it) but it's severe limitations need to be acknowledged more and it's over bearing influence on Western Culture should definitely have the reins put on it. I don't like Peterson's witch hunt style of taking on Post Modernism but I don't think he's far off on it's negative influence. Like I said there's utility there and it shouldn't be abolished off the face of the planet but I think it's a major player in a culture that endlessly criticizes and only criticizes from a pretty narrow point of view.

Not exactly a podcast but if you like philosophy, there's a great channel by a guy called John David Ebert. He is utterly brilliant and goes through many of the harder tougher philosophical works in the Western Canon and breaks them down and makes them quite simple without dumbing them down. He's pretty out there. He interviews dead figures of philosophy and culture through a medium. I only watched a few minutes of one with Heidegger and I wasn't buying it though I'll admit I'm actually pretty amenable to occult woo woo.

Now that might turn some people off lol but it shouldn't because he's amazing. Tackles Derrida, Heidegger, Deleuze, Hegel, Kant and LOADS of others. His crowning achievement (from the ones I've seen of his) would be his probably 15 hour breakdown of Oswald Spengler's Decline of the West which is just a crazy book. It veers on a bit of woo for sure but there's just a breathtaking amount of ideas in that work.

If you're not a hard nosed materialist I can't recommend him enough. He takes on Peterson's first book. Didn't watch it but I don't think he likes it. He calls him a lightweight lol. I actually like JP but I know what he means. He's been a revelation for me because many of the tougher works of philosophy I couldn't read on my own like Derrida's Of Grammatology and Kant's Critique of Pure Reason. He did a great job on both (though I hadn't finished Kant).

Gimme a week to get through my mid term and then we can talk :laugh:

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
There's a few mentionned above, unfortunately, I don't listen to any of them. I know the boys at last word on sport are pretty good though @LastWordArmy

The 4th Line Hockey Podcast #220 - The 2019 NHL Trade Deadline - Last Word on Hockey

We have a Habs specific one too

Their last episode was pre-deadline though so it might be out of date

They record every Sunday and it goes up Sunday Night or Monday Morning

Last Word on Habs Pod: Montreal Canadiens at the Deadline - Last Word on Hockey

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
OH making sense is a favorite of mine too.

What is sleep with me ? As a bad sleeper anything that can give me an edge in bed (No, not that bed) interests me.
Sleep with me is a bit of an odd podcast. It usually works for me when I have trouble sleeping, but certainly won’t be for everyone. It’s essentially an hour long podcast of the host telling what could loosely be described as a bed time story. I say loosely, because they aren’t really stories as much as they are what feels like a stream of consciousness from the hosts mind. There is no real plot, and nothing really makes sense. This is all done intentionally though. The host states he doesn’t want the stories to be so interesting to keep you up at night, but rather to be a distraction to thoughts, feelings or sensations that may be keeping you up. That said, there are times in his stories and intros that I find to be quite funny. In general though, it is mostly just background noise, and he just wants to provide company as you (hopefully) drift off to sleep.
Give it a try and see if it works for you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad