OT: The podcast thread

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I like Dan Carlin on 20th Century topics. Blueprint to Armageddon and Ghosts of the Ostfront are amazing. As is The not-yet-completed Supernova in the East.

But I just don't really care about his shows on the The Assyrians, The Punic Wars and the Celtic Holocaust... thing. Personnal preference which might be explainable by the fact he's a tad too conservative for my liking.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Personally I sort of have my daily routine of radio bits that kinda add up to be a podcast:

Jean-Charles Lajoie on Qub with Dutrizac
PY McSween on 985 w/ Arcand
Either Dumont on Qub w/ Dutrizac or Drainville on 985 w/ Arcand for my politics fit.
Sometimes I'll even add Lagacé/Curzi w/ Arcand if the subject they discuss interests me.

But for more typical podcasts, I like:

La Soirée est encore Jeune by Radio-Canada which is a great companion when I'm on the road.

Masters in Business w/ Barry Ritholtz on Bloomberg Radio: This is as good as it gets for business people, especially those with a finance/investment interest. Ritholtz receives all the big names whether they are CEOs of the biggest firms or prominent researchers, sometimes they fill both roles too. As I'm a big believer in passive investing just like Ritholtz, this is a must-listen for me.

Canadian Couch Potato: This is another investment podcast, although Dan Bortolotti does not post them as regularly as Ritholtz does. I've been an adamant reader of his blog (also called Canadian Couch potato, which is a must-follow if you want to improve your personal investments by doing simple stuff yourself). I like this one because Bortolotti brings the investment problem back to a Canadian reality. There is a lot of useful stuff written and said on the internet about investing, but few and far between on Canada itself. He usually destroys one or two stupid "bad investment advice" per episode and receives an interesting invitee that is either a suggested author by Bortolotti or an investment professional that presents a different POV, whether it's Hedge funds or ESG investing. Again, Bortolotti is a big believer in passive investing (hence the name of his blog), so most of his guests support that investment philosophy as well.

Couscous PiriPiri or #CCPP by KanFC w/ Nilton Jorge & Sofiane Benzaza: This is a soccer podcast about the Impact. They usually dissect the last game and talk about what they liked/disliked. They bring interesting opinions, which very often differ and it makes for great conversations. They're also very open to fan questions so it's nice to hear them answer questions TVASports/RDS journalists never dare to. They're not afraid to criticize the management, to say the least. A must-listen for any Impact fans or people curious about the team. CCPP is named off two stereotype/classic food for each of the two hosts, as Nilton is of Portuguese decent while Sofiane hails from Algeria. I never gave a listen to Loin de s'en foot by Brett/Leduc/Gounelle, because I'm not a big fan of Gounelle, but maybe I should. There's also a new one that came out from Marcuzzi/Filosa (985 impact game descriptors), but you have to pay to listen.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Bruh Bryan Callen isn’t the spook. That’s Eddy Bravo. Talks about the Earth being flat for an hour then says “I’m not saying it’s true, just look into it.”

You know what Callen's dad does, right? Bravo is just a jiu-jitsu champ that's a little cracked. :laugh:

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
My favorite bleeding heart lefty Tim Pool dunking on both Jack Dorsey (Twitter CEO) and his pet lawyer was probably one of the more significant show's Joe's done in some time. Would highly recommend to anyone interested in not living in some corporate tech dystopia.

Reactions: feds91

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I like Dan Carlin on 20th Century topics. Blueprint to Armageddon and Ghosts of the Ostfront are amazing. As is The not-yet-completed Supernova in the East.

But I just don't really care about his shows on the The Assyrians, The Punic Wars and the Celtic Holocaust... thing. Personnal preference which might be explainable by the fact he's a tad too conservative for my liking.

Just listened to the first part of King of Kings. Quite liked it. I want to listen to as much as I can. Didn't strike me as particularly conservative. Seems to take pot shots at Trump now and then. Not that all conservatives are on board with Trump mind you.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
My favorite bleeding heart lefty Tim Pool dunking on both Jack Dorsey (Twitter CEO) and his pet lawyer was probably one of the more significant show's Joe's done in some time. Would highly recommend to anyone interested in not living in some corporate tech dystopia.

Didn't know this happened. I've listened to a bit of Pool. I feel like his name came up as part of that bizarre Alt-Right matrix of complicitness in 'alt-right' behaviours or whatever it was. Pretty funny all the guy did was question the left a bit it seemed like and all of a sudden a bunch of his fans turned on him saying he was going alt-right or whatever. Bizarre stuff.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Didn't know this happened. I've listened to a bit of Pool. I feel like his name came up as part of that bizarre Alt-Right matrix of complicitness in 'alt-right' behaviours or whatever it was. Pretty funny all the guy did was question the left a bit it seemed like and all of a sudden a bunch of his fans turned on him saying he was going alt-right or whatever. Bizarre stuff.

It wasn't so much bizarre as it was predictable, unfortunately. It's become a trend to attempt to label those you can't beat in an honest debate. Tim's a centre leftist who does really good journalistic work and actually seems to care about getting the story right, rather than playing sides, which is refreshing. Gotta also keep in mind he came from a skater/anarchist background so a lot of the people making up his initial base were off their rockers to begin with.

And for the record I disagree with his opinions on a lot of things, but it's tough to find honest people out there in the news sector.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Just listened to the first part of King of Kings. Quite liked it. I want to listen to as much as I can. Didn't strike me as particularly conservative. Seems to take pot shots at Trump now and then. Not that all conservatives are on board with Trump mind you.

I mean "conservative", in a "way to approach history", not "politically" conservative.

And then again, it was mostly a supposition. His lone show about the past that I really enjoyed was Wrath of the Khans. The others I just enjoyed.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I mean "conservative", in a "way to approach history", not "politically" conservative.

And then again, it was mostly a supposition. His lone show about the past that I really enjoyed was Wrath of the Khans. The others I just enjoyed.

ah I see. Any other history podcasts you'd recommend.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002

Jack and his handler came out awful in this exchange, owned by Pool of all people. Totally exposed for being a leftist platform, nothing more

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
ah I see. Any other history podcasts you'd recommend.

I totally forgot Tides of History (which can get a little too abstract a times) due to their weird conception of accessibility. I'm not THAT sold of Patrick Wyman as-a-podcaster, but I tend to be interested A LOT in the topics that are of interest to him (Late Middle Ages/Renaissance and Late Antiquity)

And Pirate History Podcast.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I totally forgot Tides of History (which can get a little too abstract a times) due to their weird conception of accessibility. I'm not THAT sold of Patrick Wyman as-a-podcaster, but I tend to be interested A LOT in the topics that are of interest to him (Late Middle Ages/Renaissance and Late Antiquity)

And Pirate History Podcast.

awesome. yeah i'll check that out. Thanks.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
I listen to Ted Talks, Tony Robbins and The CISO Relationship.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
I listen to:

JRE (only some guests)
Skeptics Guide to the Universe
Waking up with Sam Harris
News in slow Spanish
Base Pairs

And some others, but those regularly. Also big on Audiobooks, listening to Steven Pinker's Enlightenment Now and it's fascinating.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
The Totally Football Show with James Richardson (best and funniest soccer podcast), 3 times a week 4 if you're interested in Seria A. He is usually the "commentator" on those Strongest Man competition where they pull trucks, carry giant barrels etc. Very witty guy.

Mafia

Hardcore History

Light Speed - sci fi pod

Stuff You Should Know

Science Solved It - Should be a compulsory listening for people who believe the earth is 6,000 years old.

Reactions: Runner77

Zam Boni

Dec 14, 2009
Thanks for all suggestion, I will definitely check out a few I haven't heard.

I've enjoyed some of Ingoal Magazine's podcast in spite of their horrible sound quality. Listening to Carey Price as well as old heroes as Sean Burke and Bill Ranford breaking down their careers and goaltending was really interesting, especially how Burke and Ranford moved from goaltending to goalie coaches.

If you're into cars and a bit of English comedy, check out Chris Harris "The Collecting Cars" podcast!
The episode with Top Gear script writer, Richard Porter, is pure comedy gold.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->