Proposal: The please fire Travis Green thread..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Answer me this....how do you judge Green's performance with a roster construction that has 2 top 4 defensemen and 7 that should be playing no higher than the third paring. I have serious concerns over some of the weird deployment that Green does but is it realistic to think they should be a playoff team with this roster? It's like giving someone a bb gun and wondering why they didn't slay the dragon.

These are the worst teams in ga/gp since the beginning of the 19-20 season not including Seattle.

Ottawa
Detroit
Buffalo
San Jose
New Jersey
Vancouver

None of those teams have gotten as good of goaltending as we have from Markstrom and Demko. In fact they all have sub .900 goaltending in that time.

We're also last in xga/gp, and sca/gp, and 6th last in hdsca/gp over that time.

Chris Tanev immediately went back to being one of the best shutdown D in the league after leaving. Schmidt has good defensive numbers and is producing in a top pairing role for Winnipeg. Even Edler has great defensive numbers in a top 4 role. It's not a coincidence that defenders get better once they leave.

I don't think Green has been given tremendous blue lines by any stretch. But, his blue lines haven't been needing great goaltending to be better than Buffalo and Detroit bad.

Last edited:

Green Blank Stare

Drance approved coach
May 16, 2019
I think you can judge Green's performance by the results. The Canucks currently sits as the 4th worst team in the league in terms of point percentage, 5th worst in terms of goal differential, 6th worst in GF, 5th worst in GA, record of 2-8 in the last 10, worst PK, worst PP. I mean can you honestly say that the roster is that bad that a better coach wouldn't be able to improve one of those areas? Even the most pessimistic posters on here didn't think the team would be this bad.

I've said this before, for whatever reason, the Canucks' entire offensive scheme is to score goals off tips and rebounds from shots at the point. That's not to say that other teams don't do it, but we're not good at it.

By the way, BB guns can kill a man. Probably need to get up close and hit a soft spot in order to have a chance at slaying a full grown dragon with it.

You compare the performance of players before they arrive here and after they leave. For example, let's look at our former players in Calgary coached by Sutter, they're all doing much better on that team than they did here. We can look at Edler in LA, better. McCann in Seattle, better.

Bad rosters don't win games but players can still shine on a bad team if they're well coached.

These Benning obsessives like @iceburg are the equivalent to one-note pianos; broken records who can't think beyond Benning. It's basically like trying to have a discussion with Groot.

We all agree Benning is a trash GM but these guys are incapable of examining any other problems with the franchise.

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
Regardless how good or bad Green actually is, it is pretty evident the locker room is a mess. Green has been here long enough and through enough of this turmoil that I think it's relatively safe to say he has lost some, if not all, of the room. For that reason alone, he should be gone with Benning whenever this ship starts to get righted.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
These are the worst teams in ga/gp since the beginning of the 19-20 season not including Seattle.

Ottawa
Detroit
Buffalo
San Jose
New Jersey
Vancouver

None of those teams have gotten as good of goaltending as we have from Markstrom and Demko. In fact they all have sub .900 goaltending in that time.

We're also last in xga/gp, and sca/gp, and 6th last in hdsca/gp over that time.

Chris Tanev immediately went back to being one of the best shutdown D in the league after leaving. Schmidt has good defensive numbers and is producing in a top pairing role for Winnipeg. Even Edler has great defensive numbers in a top 4 role. It's not a coincidence that defenders get better once they leave.

I don't think Green has been given tremendous blue lines by any stretch. But, his blue lines haven't been needing great goaltending to be better than Buffalo and Detroit bad.

I do feel bad for Green. I think that if the PP was playing to its potential and the PK was average the team would have a lot more wins as the team has improved their 5 v 5 play. In that scenario, they still might make the playoffs and Green will be fired but not like this. This is soul crushing.

I know many like to point to the blueline but Tanev, Schmidt, and even Myers saw their transition play decline with Green (and in the case of Tanev and Schmidt improve post Green). And the Canucks have had a large changeover on D throughout the years yet the results don't change. We keep having defensive breakdowns and giving up more high danger scoring chances against than other teams. At some point it's not the personnel that is back there.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
I do feel bad for Green. I think that if the PP was playing to its potential and the PK was average the team would have a lot more wins as the team has improved their 5 v 5 play. In that scenario, they still might make the playoffs and Green will be fired but not like this. This is soul crushing.

I know many like to point to the blueline but Tanev, Schmidt, and even Myers saw their transition play decline with Green (and in the case of Tanev and Schmidt improve post Green). And the Canucks have had a large changeover on D throughout the years yet the results don't change. We keep having defensive breakdowns and giving up more high danger scoring chances against than other teams. At some point it's not the personnel that is back there.

I do agree that we have improved 5v5 defence, other than maybe giving up too many rebounds. We're middle of the road in most defensive stats 5v5 and 5th in ga due to goaltending. I was expecting bottom 5 in all these areas.

The problem is now we aren't generating anything 5v5. We're bottom 5-10 in all offensive stats. It's not luck, we just aren't generating enough. We traded one problem for another.

The pk and Pp certainly don't help. I don't think it's the difference between a playoff team and a bottom 5 team though.

Reactions: racerjoe

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019

Those are hypotheticals and improved 5v5 defense has resulted in the offense drying up. If you can't pin a precipitous decline of special teams on coaching, who should it fall to? I mean, our PK rate is tracking to be the answer to a trivia question under the category of sports futility.

Similarly, expecting a coach to implement a defensively responsible system that can also generate offense, especially with the firepower we have, is expecting a baseline level of competence.

Yes, the roster is unbalanced and poorly constructed. But it's been somehow made worse by Green and his Assistant Coaches.

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
His only move is the line-blender. He makes no other adjustments. Same story, game in game out.

Team can't defend.
Blown coverage on a regular basis. Wide open chances, and lazy backchecks by the forwards.
Gives up the blueline as though it doesn't exist.
Plays the shit out of AHL tweeners that don't move the needle, benches rookies when they score.
Home ice advantage means nothing to Green. He WANTS those tweeners (and Myers) out against the best lines.
Under pressure in our own zone, while 3 forwards are watching from the opposing blueline.
Passing up prime shooting opportunities, just to force ill-advised passes.
No urgency on special teams, lots of standing in place. Very predictable and lazy PP, with some of the worst defending I've seen coming while we are a man up.
Green doesn't seem to challenge players to move their feet or be more physical (EP and Boeser just keep coasting and avoiding contact)
Simply refuses to develop prospects into PKers. Horvat doesn't PK anymore, and we haven't developed 1 since before he joined the league. Insane.
Has no idea what timeouts are for. A cardboard cutout has as much presence on the bench.

I could go on and on

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
He’s got to go. He’s lost the room for a while now, that’s generally enough to get canned.

I think he’ll reflect and bounce back at his next gig. He needs to make adjustments, I don’t think how he coaches has changed at all in his entire stint here.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
These Benning obsessives like @iceburg are the equivalent to one-note pianos; broken records who can't think beyond Benning. It's basically like trying to have a discussion with Groot.

We all agree Benning is a trash GM but these guys are incapable of examining any other problems with the franchise.
And that's based on a detailed analysis of one post? Yet you reveal yourself in this one post. You clearly have no idea of my posting history. Well done.

Reactions: MarkMM

TraderJim

Um.. like.. you know
Apr 18, 2006
At least I pay and go unlike all you armchair quarterbacks that probably complain and never go! I've been a yearly 11 game ice pack holder since 1997. I have 11 Golden Knights tickets and Raiders season tickets to boot, cheers!
Clown take if I've ever seen one.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
At least I pay and go unlike all you armchair quarterbacks that probably complain and never go! I've been a yearly 11 game ice pack holder since 1997. I have 11 Golden Knights tickets and Raiders season tickets to boot, cheers!
Quite the achievement there,
congrats.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
93130130-7040-4536-883D-6C694F3F02E2.jpeg

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
Green was decent in stretches seemed lost as often and a change was needed .
Besides his lines and the way hed use players this season he sent two big bodies that would help away and those decisions had to be coaching really were ones i couldn't get . Think of what that message means in locker room had to be one players took badly .
Like others could write a book just happy its done and hope team gets some energy and enthusiasm back.

perrykaravello

John Garrett's Peanut Butter Jar
Aug 15, 2004
A guy out of his league every night he stepped on the bench.

Expected his goaltending to play at Vezina level every night and had no defensive structure. If the PP didn’t out score their defensive problems they didn’t have a chance.

Got into the postseason on a technicality and then gets steamrolled by Vegas and hung on by a thread thanks to Vezina caliber goaltending.

He was a smug prick and I’m glad he’s gone.

Reactions: Indiana
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad