The Player(s) that Got Away 2015 Draft - or ALL prior draft discussion here

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 96824

How come my first round picks were far better than the Bruins GM's overall since?

05 Oshie
06 kessel
07 couture
08 Carlson
09 Olsen
10 seguin
11 hamilton
12 finn
14 pastrnak
15 zboril, barzal, connor
16 Chychryn, Morrison
17 Vesalainen
19 Kaliyev

From my couch. Better.

I mean that’s cause you should be an amateur scout somewhere my friend haha. You’re money.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
I think rather than the 2015 draft hurting them I think the fact that they haven't gotten anything from the drafts between 2007 to 2013 with the exception of Seguin and Hamilton hurts a lot more. This team could have used one more hit between that time frame and we wouldn't be talking about how much 2015 screwed them over.
You’re not wrong. I couldn’t remember the time frames off hand but they were bludgeoned for a while there.

How did that Couture guy turn out? Probably a bust. Sheesh lol

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I think rather than the 2015 draft hurting them I think the fact that they haven't gotten anything from the drafts between 2007 to 2013 with the exception of Seguin and Hamilton hurts a lot more. This team could have used one more hit between that time frame and we wouldn't be talking about how much 2015 screwed them over.
Rough stretch for sure and I agree for the most part- but those are two pretty big exceptions and Grzlyeck came in that window as well.

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
Explain...cuz, I think your hindsight is nothing more than hindsight.

Teams draft to their needs at the moment not to the fandom’s 20/20 hindsight.

Ask me why?

Here, I will answer for you : You are not in the NHL or in any way affiliated with NHL management. You are just another JoeSmoe on the Internet like I am with an opinion. Nothing more.
99% of Bruins fans were screaming at the tv for them to take Barzal, Connor and Konekcy. This has nothing to do with Hindsight, this is about incompetence in the leadership of the club.

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
99% of Bruins fans were screaming at the tv for them to take Barzal, Connor and Konekcy. This has nothing to do with Hindsight, this is about incompetence in the leadership of the club.

I hope it works out for all 3 picks, but one thing I'll never forget is when the Bruins selected Senyshyn, Pierre McGuire looking at the camera with that perplexed WTF look, saying there were much better players available, and hoping he was wrong.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Only Senyshyn was a reach.

And I take DeBrusk before Konecny. Bowser too.

He has also scored some big goals in the playoffs. Bruins lose both time to the Leafs without him.

Well, I think that you'd be alone in that assessment. The other two have better stats than Debrusk. And I don't believe your assertion that Boston would have lost to Toronto the past couple of playoff series without Debrusk.

Problem with these « players that got away » thread that is a big forum for the whining about Barzal and others missed 2015 draft instead of Senyshyn is the fact that these posters just look at the players that got away.

What about those that the Bruins stole?

Pasta
McAvoy
Bergeron
Krejci
Chara

All these undrafted UFA like Krug.

Wheeler that went UFA.

There's nothing to criticize in those picks/college free agent signings, so why would someone comment on them in this thread? This is about drafting miscues on the part of the Bruins, and the focus inevitably falls on the first round of 2015. The title of this thread is "The player(s) that got away".

HooperDrivesTheBoat

2010-2011 CHAMPS!!!
May 29, 2007
LINY
Jesus - the amount of whining here is sad and I'm embarrassed by how many of you guys won't stop bitching about the 2015 draft. For years all I heard was why do the Bruins keep drafting the same type of player ( big bruiser from the WHL with limited skating speed and offense ) so Sweeney takes a chance and drafts a guy ( Senyshyn ) that Boston almost always passes on and who later turns out to be a stud for another team down the road. But now it looks like Senyshyn might be a bust so Sweeney is an idiot for picking him. I guess we should all pool our money and buy Sweeney a crystal ball so he always picks the right player every year. To be honest - a lot of you guys are sounding just like the Toronto fans on HF Boards that we always make fun of. :thumbd:

2015 was special, my man. You’ll never hear me bitch about any other draft. Ever. I didnt complain much about the Thornton and Seguin trades at the time and tried to stay optimistic.

But I can’t get over that first round. Not yet, anyway. They passed on guys that every single person in hockey, except the Bruins it seems, lauded. It’s hard to let it go because it makes no f***ing sense. Not even a little. Especially with the core aging. They admittedly drafted a “project” in Senyshyn. Why? f***ing why? And yes, Zboril was the next highest ranked D, but he wasn’t a sure thing like Provorov and Werenski. His trajectory was probably 2-3 years away from playing. Again, why? Why not draft guys that were projected to help right away? The guys this board wanted, iirc, were Barzal, Connor, Konecny. All 3 produced, as projected, and Barzal and Connor haven’t reached their peak yet.

I respect your views, but I’m still befuddled by the whole mess.

Last edited:

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
2015 was special, my man. You’ll never hear me bitch about any other draft. Ever. I didnt complain much about the Thornton and Seguin trades at the time and tried to stay optimistic.

But I can’t get over that first round. Not yet, anyway. They passed on guys that every single person in hockey, except the Bruins it seems, lauded. It’s hard to let it go because it makes no f***ing sense. Not even a little. Especially with the core aging. They admittedly drafted a “project” in Senyshyn. Why? f***ing why? And yes, Zboril was the next highest ranked D, but he wasn’t a sure thing like Provorov and Werenski. His trajectory was probably 2-3 years away from playing. Again, why? Why not draft guys that were projected to help right away? The guys this board wanted, iirc, were Barzal, Connor, Konecny. All 3 produced, as projected, and Barzal and Connor haven’t reached their peak yet.

Get over it and move on. Is 2015 your ex?

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
All I know is that when Florida picked Crouse I was all "omg, we're getting either Barzal or Connor!", and then when Dallas picked Gurianov I was all "omg, we're getting both Barzal and Connor!!" (I admit I didn't remember who was actually picked the two spots before us, had to look it up, but I certainly remember thinking that at the time). Then it was all "wtf, wtf, wtf?" Pissed me off even more when NYI and Winny rushed up to pick 'em.

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
I hope it works out for all 3 picks, but one thing I'll never forget is when the Bruins selected Senyshyn, Pierre McGuire looking at the camera with that perplexed WTF look, saying there were much better players available, and hoping he was wrong.
Pierre was probably flipping through his notes realizing he didn’t know where Senyshyn played minor hockey and had no useless anecdotes to share. That should have been a warning sign.

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
Aside from the obvious big 4 missed on:
Samsonov (G-Wash)
Beauvillier - NYI
Aho-CAR
at the very least would have been better. Seeing we got Carlo and Lauzon on the 2nd, we didn't need a d-man in 13-15. (Yes hindsight is 20/20)

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
2015 is the reason the Cup window is slamming shut.

3 of Barzal, Chabot, Connor, Konecny, Boeser and this team has an extra Cup and is firmly in contender status for years to come
Monday morning quarterbacking. Some years you hit it and some you don’t. They have stars on the team that some teams passed. It’s an unexact science.

Reactions: Over the volcano

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

Reminded me a lot of the 03 draft when we traded down, missing out on Burns, Getzalf and Parise, to take Mark Stuart.

Though granted that Bergeron in the second round saves that year.

2015 is the reason the Cup window is slamming shut.

3 of Barzal, Chabot, Connor, Konecny, Boeser and this team has an extra Cup and is firmly in contender status for years to come
Impossible to argue against the imagination.

Reactions: HooperDrivesTheBoat

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Debrusk carlo and lauzon is quite a haul not obviously great but darn ok. We attack donny for the miss on Barzal connor etc. But what about that McAvoy pick in 2016 at 14. He is top 3 if you did a reboot. Let's not also forget studnicka who I project to be DK version 2.0 second round pick gem. Give donny a break.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Reminded me a lot of the 03 draft when we traded down, missing out on Burns, Getzalf and Parise, to take Mark Stuart.

Though granted that Bergeron in the second round saves that year.

Impossible to argue against the imagination.

It's not imagination to think a team that lost the Cup in 7 wins it instead with Barzal and Chabot added....

Reactions: JOKER 192

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Good read ...

Actually that’s exactly imagination.

All the more reason to get Senyshyn and Zboril in the lineup this coming and season and see if the Bruins can make some sort of chicken salad out of what is to this point largely chicken shit. Maybe both flame out, but it would be a good thing to get at least one more serviceable NHL regular out those picks. Neither will probably end up being anywhere near Barzal good (though stranger things have happened) but at least something good could come out of it.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
All the more reason to get Senyshyn and Zboril in the lineup this coming and season and see if the Bruins can make some sort of chicken salad out of what is to this point largely chicken shit. Maybe both flame out, but it would be a good thing to get at least one more serviceable NHL regular out those picks. Neither will probably end up being anywhere near Barzal good (though stranger things have happened) but at least something good could come out of it.
Senyshyn sure looked like an NHLer in his limited time so far.

Reactions: Dr Hook
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad