OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: World Cup N'at

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
That is a tough call. Both were underwhelming in the first round of games and their opponents aren't easy. I'd probably stay away from that one

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
This is why I was saying a few pages back in soccer it's better to have a pure goal scorer opposed to playmaker like in hockey. Crosby vs Ovi. So hard to score in soccer. Messi setting these bums up and missing sitters.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
This is why I was saying a few pages back in soccer it's better to have a pure goal scorer opposed to playmaker like in hockey. Crosby vs Ovi. So hard to score in soccer. Messi setting these bums up and missing sitters.

Argentina went with the goonery there at the end.
I love when the camera zooms in on people crying in the stands. Children crying is even more hilarious.

It sounds cruel, but its not.

Reactions: SouthGeorge

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Crazy part is Argentina still has a chance

Yeah, Iceland - Nigeria tomorrow 1100 EST. Nigeria would do Argentina a solid if they win. Then Argentina has to beat Nigeria. Then Iceland needs to lose to Croatia.

Possible.

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
argentina rotted from the midfield out. they were completely overmatched by croatia there. if messi can barely get on the ball due to lack of midfield service he cant demolish your team.

Reactions: SouthGeorge

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Silly to play Messi so far forward. He's most dangerous from midfield to the box. Taking him away from there is ridiculous

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Yeah, Iceland - Nigeria tomorrow 1100 EST. Nigeria would do Argentina a solid if they win. Then Argentina has to beat Nigeria. Then Iceland needs to lose to Croatia.

Possible.

I'd be happy for Argentina to miss. The Aussies play the top of that group if we can win against Peru and France beat Denmark (we'd likely win a tiebreaker if tied with Denmark).

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I'd be happy for Argentina to miss. The Aussies play the top of that group if we can win against Peru and France beat Denmark (we'd likely win a tiebreaker if tied with Denmark).

I just wish the games weren't so early in the morning so I could watch every single game. 8 am is rough 11 and 2 are no easier.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
It will likely be worse for Qatar. Even if the first matches don't kickoff until the evening, which I doubt will happen, a 5pm start would be 7am Pacific.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Only another month or so until Steeler training camp. Looks like Steelers game against the Bucs shaping up to be a Tomlin set up game, with the Bucs already not very good and now looking like they'll be playing without their starting QB.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
It will likely be worse for Qatar. Even if the first matches don't kickoff until the evening, which I doubt will happen, a 5pm start would be 7am Pacific.

European WC's are best for us in England too. These game times aren't too bad but they're in mid-day so most people can't watch.

If you have it in say, England, you can have the games at 3, 5, 7, as in Russia, and it would be a lot better for the USA. Would be 10, 12, 2 in the East and 7, 9, 11 in the West.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
agreed. people gloating about ratings being down seem to forget that these matches are all but unwatchable on the west coast

I didn't even think of how much worse anywhere west of the EST time zone had it.
Which begs the question, Is any channel re-running the games in a realistic time slot so people can watch the games? I see fox broadcast some, but I watch on telemundo on nbcsn online. I'm not even sure what channel the games are on with cable.

Anyone know? Or know about any future games / rounds getting better broadcast slots?

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
They're on the FOX network, mostly FS1

I see that FOX network logo next to the times on the fifa page, but I am not sure if they re-broadcast them in the evening.

---

Belgium is spanking Tunisia pretty hard. Curious to see next game how Mexico handles their game after the Germany event!

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
They might rebroadcast on FS2 but I'm not sure. I've been watching online via FOXSportsGo.

At any rate, their coverage has been pretty much crap. It's basically a repeat of ESPN's coverage from 2006.

FOX would have been better off simulcasting UK coverage to be perfectly honest. Their announcing teams are so bad I began muting games after about the 3rd day.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Their announcing teams are so bad I began muting games after about the 3rd day.

Yeah, I don't doubt that for a moment. I am watching through NBCSN, which handles the Telemundo broadcast. While I have no idea what they are saying, I too mostly mute the games =]

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Not sure where to put this rant...

Is it safe to assume the average hockey IQ I encounter on EA NHL is the same as this forum? I don't even play skater anymore because I can't deal with the stupidity. I rather play goalie so if my team sucks at least it's challenging. I get in games with guys with hockey gamertags and max prestige. These guys will give up 5-6 breakaways a game and try to argue with me about it not being their fault. Not covering backdoor. The game has an option where you select forward, d, or goalie and these guys pick D and play wing. It's mind boggling. 1 out of every 30 d I play with is actually decent. It's like playing with a bunch of Kris Letangs. They will be RD and watch their LD get the puck in a pressure situation and hug the right boards and leave the middle of the ice wide open and give up breakaways all day but it's not their fault because they are RD and the breakaway didn't come from that side. It's wild. Then I got to thinking these guys got to be the same type of people passing off knowledge on this forum.

Reactions: EightyOne

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Not sure where to put this rant...

Is it safe to assume the average hockey IQ I encounter on EA NHL is the same as this forum? I don't even play skater anymore because I can't deal with the stupidity. I rather play goalie so if my team sucks at least it's challenging. I get in games with guys with hockey gamertags and max prestige. These guys will give up 5-6 breakaways a game and try to argue with me about it not being their fault. Not covering backdoor. The game has an option where you select forward, d, or goalie and these guys pick D and play wing. It's mind boggling. 1 out of every 30 d I play with is actually decent. It's like playing with a bunch of Kris Letangs. They will be RD and watch their LD get the puck in a pressure situation and hug the right boards and leave the middle of the ice wide open and give up breakaways all day but it's not their fault because they are RD and the breakaway didn't come from that side. It's wild. Then I got to thinking these guys got to be the same type of people passing off knowledge on this forum.

I haven't played hockey since NHL 2k series closed down. EA is pure trash to me I could never get into it. That is very unfortunate too because there is no other hockey game :(

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
I haven't played hockey since NHL 2k series closed down. EA is pure trash to me I could never get into it. That is very unfortunate too because there is no other hockey game :(

You aren't missing much. I'm only playing it because I got it for free. I quit giving them money 3 years ago. It was game changing and fun when it first came out with be a pro in 08. Being able to lock onto a position and have human users for every position. Have your own club with logo, jerseys, banners, rink, etc. It's ran it's course and the community and average player is just aids now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad