OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: They Killed Kenny!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
On the bright side. Broderick Jones was pretty much owning the left side with probably next to zero prep as a starter, Najee actually looked good for once, and it doesn’t seem like KP’s injury was serious.

With a competent staff, it’s a little bit to build on. With this one, they’ll find a way to make it less than useless.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Tried telling you all Pickett sucks. Sample size is big enough now. Great point by Madden - you didn’t hire Canada (and yeah he should’ve been fired in the off-season) to be your franchise coordinator. You drafted Pickett to be your franchise QB

Last edited:
Reactions: bigdaddyk88

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
It shows that Cowher was atleast able to develop staff, which shows if you can develop staff you are probably pretty decent at your job that other team's want your guys.

How does that make Cowher similar to Tomlin then?

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Tried telling you all Pickett sucks. Sample size is big enough now. Great point by Madden - you didn’t hire Canada (and yeah he should’ve been fired in the off-season) to be your franchise coordinator. You drafted Pickett to be your franchise QB

Same shit was said about Hurts by the end of his second year. Think I'll wait until the end of his third year before I jump off a bridge like most other Steeler fans.

Of course, this is based on the hopeless assumption Canada is finally fired and Tomlin is forced to hire an OC with talent, not another one of his cronies.

Oh, and he keeps his hands out of the offense. So basically, it's again a hopeless assumption.

I rarely listen to him anymore, but had Madden on yesterday in my truck and he said he was going to be frank "Tomlin is a very stupid man, and I don't say that lightly"

Ranted how he thinks he can run an old grind it out style offense in today's NFL, and thinks he can outsmart the rest of the NFL.

When you have a stupid head coach and an incompetent coordinator, no QB is going to develop in Pgh.

So KP can blow and whatever, but the next guy will suffer the same fate, I'm 100% sure of that.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Same shit was said about Hurts by the end of his second year. Think I'll wait until the end of his third year before I jump off a bridge like most other Steeler fans.

Of course, this is based on the hopeless assumption Canada is finally fired and Tomlin is forced to hire an OC with talent, not another one of his cronies.

Oh, and he keeps his hands out of the offense. So basically, it's again a hopeless assumption.

I rarely listen to him anymore, but had Madden on yesterday in my truck and he said he was going to be frank "Tomlin is a very stupid man, and I don't say that lightly"

Ranted how he thinks he can run an old grind it out style offense in today's NFL, and thinks he can outsmart the rest of the NFL.

When you have a stupid head coach and an incompetent coordinator, no QB is going to develop in Pgh.

So KP can blow and whatever, but the next guy will suffer the same fate, I'm 100% sure of that.

Tomlin is definitely dumber than a box of rocks . I just fail to see how Cowher Is being compared to the biggest fraud in NFL history.

Reactions: Coastal Kev

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida

According to Mike and Bob here, Kenny's got some super powers.

[Yt]

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Fillipponi: 'Why won't people listen when I say repeatedly that Tomlin is an overrated coach?'
https://www.audacy.com/937thefan/sports ... ated-coach?
“Why won’t people listen when I say repeatedly that Tomlin is an overrated coach,” Fillipponi said (28:15 in player above). “He hasn’t won a playoff game since 2016. They just lost by 24 to the Texans with a rookie head coach and a quarterback starting his fourth game. They’re not going to win a playoff game this year; that’ll be seven in a row.”

The Steelers haven’t won a playoff game since reaching the AFC Championship Game in 2016. Much of Tomlin’s success came early in his Steelers tenure with a star-studded roster.

Now, the roster that he has hand-picked isn’t meeting those expectations.

“He wanted this quarterback. He wanted a running back in the first round two years ago. He employs the worst offensive coordinator,” Fillipponi continued. “He has not hired an innovative, young, enterprising, forward-thinking offensive coordinator since he’s been the head coach here in 2007. And the national media, finally, is starting to catch on to it.”

Fillipponi likened Tomlin’s tenure to that of Bill Belichick in New England. While Belichick seems to have lost a step without Tom Brady, he’s still one of the best coaches of all time and has the rings to prove it.

“Belichick and Tomlin are very, very similar. It’s interesting to me that Belichick gets murdered, as he should, but that guy’s got six Super Bowls; this guy’s got one. But because they limped their way to 8-8 or 9-8, he gets credit at the end of the day,” he said. “He builds the roster here. He picks the team. I thought (Sunday) was a failure of his regime at this point. You go to a place like Houston and you’re completely non-competitive (Sunday) afternoon.”
“There are very few defensive head coaches that are winning in today’s NFL,” Fillipponi continued. “I think the game’s passed him by, honestly. He’s been here for a long time. He’s not the young, cool, hip, young coach anymore.”

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
He's right that Tomlin is overrated, but he's very, very wrong to say he's similar to Belichick.

Meh, he called out the difference (six rings). But there is definitely something to the point that without Brady he isn't necessarily the same deity everyone portrays him as.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Tomlin is definitely dumber than a box of rocks . I just fail to see how Cowher Is being compared to the biggest fraud in NFL history.
biggest fraud? Payton in Denver isn’t looking so hot

Hurts shown flashes in year 2 that KP hasn’t he is still struggling with basic pre snap reads and reading defenses. They texans literally told him what the defense was time and time again and he missed the read pre snap he should have had 3 td against Houston and left 120 yards on the field

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Meh, he called out the difference (six rings). But there is definitely something to the point that without Brady he isn't necessarily the same deity everyone portrays him as.
5 rings is quite the difference, not to mention all the other SB and championship games he reached. It's laughable to say they are similar other than in some very specific ways.

It's not a surprise to me Belichick isn't the same without Brady. Talent (especially a franchise QB) was, is, and always will be the most important thing. Good coaching can only get so much out of mediocre talent. On the flip side, mediocre coaching can only get so much out of good talent. When you have mediocre coaching AND mediocre talent, you get Tomlin Purgatory.

--------------------

You know things are bleak when even the Tomlin apologists have to resort to "He's not THE biggest fraud" as their defense of him. :laugh:

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Found this

Attachments

• Steelers Expectations Week 4.png
    Steelers Expectations Week 4.png
    117.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Haha
Reactions: pistolpete11

Rave7215

Mar 12, 2010
The Steelers have been consistently behind the cutting edge offensively since even the dynasty years. The problem is that winning with a punishing rushing attack and ball control is not the best or even a competitive strategy anymore.

Rule changes and NFL coaches being more willing to embrace schemes that used to be considered only fit for college means you need to score 30 regularly to be a contender now.

The Steelers' ceiling is the Titans at Vrabel's peak. They are not outscoring Mahomes, Allen, or Tua even if they did make the playoffs consistently anymore.
The Steelers just aren't a modern NFL franchise, period. They are held up by their history and legacy. They constantly have the smallest staff in the league. They are among the bottom in training facilities. Their hires are always in house or bottom of the barrel candidates. Frankly, the Rooney's don't have the money to keep up with the rest of the league. And it's showing.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
20231003_113252.jpg

I just don't know what to tell people who think a qb who bails on a pocket like this is going to be anything but a backup nfl qb.

There was another one from the Texans game where the line picked up a blitz on the right side and Kenny scrambled into the blitz instead of taking 1 step left into a super clean pocket.

Kenny aint it. It is pure cope at this point.

Reactions: Pengwins

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
biggest fraud? Payton in Denver isn’t looking so hot

Hurts shown flashes in year 2 that KP hasn’t he is still struggling with basic pre snap reads and reading defenses. They texans literally told him what the defense was time and time again and he missed the read pre snap he should have had 3 td against Houston and left 120 yards on the field

Nah bro, that's revisionist history.

Eagle fans and media turned on him just like Steeler fans with KP already:

Hurts was struggling and people turned on him, simple as that.

Fans are impatient and want instant gratification, but most QBs take at least 3 years to develop, even the best ones.

Lawrence is still having issues and it’s year three, and he was considered a generational talent.

Last edited:

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Cowher was frustrating, but he was a legit good coach that didn’t perpetually embarrass this org.

He has his bad moments, but Tomlin has had more debacles in the last few years than Cowher had during his entire career.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Comparing Belichick to Tomlin is the dumbest thing I’ve ever read. Belichick took Tomlin to the woodshed repeatedly. Publicly stated that Tomlin’s teams just do the same thing over and over again; they’re predictable. Has like a 9-2 record against him. Not even counting the post-season success disparity. It’s like comparing Bill Walsh to Barry Switzer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad