OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: The Unofficial Official World Cup Thread|Parafuso Portugal

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Steelers need to draft defense almost every round this year, maybe get a wr somewhere in this draft, but other then WR the offense is in pretty good shape.

I'd prefer a def lineman with the 1st pick, but i don't really see any good fits at 15 unless they trade down, corner back would probably make the most sense if they keep the pick.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Interesting.

During a Friday interview on The David Todd Show, Daniel Jeremiah revealed the latest he's heard about the Steelers and Fuller.

I'll be honest with you, I talked with somebody the other day and we were talking about different teams, and what they were going to do, and he told me, 'Hey, if your looking for Pittsburgh and what Pittsburgh's going to do, I'm telling right now, they're going to take Kyle Fuller,' said Jeremiah. "That's what some people in the league feel like, just how he fits with what they do and the needs they have, and that's the name I was given."

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/0...steelers-taking-virginia-tech-cb-kyle-fuller/

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
I've seen rumors for our first round pick be Gilbert, Dennard, Fuller, Benjamin, Hageman and Nix. I don't know what to believe.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
In the Mike Adams case, defendants cleared on all significant charges.

Glad to hear that, as my cousin was there at the scene, and saw the entire thing. He said that what the defendants testified to was the truth, and that Adams was lying. He said that he definitely didn't deserve to be stabbed, that of course was messed up. But that Adams started the altercation by being a drunk A-hole.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
In the Mike Adams case, defendants cleared on all significant charges.

Glad to hear that, as my cousin was there at the scene, and saw the entire thing. He said that what the defendants testified to was the truth, and that Adams was lying. He said that he definitely didn't deserve to be stabbed, that of course was messed up. But that Adams started the altercation by being a drunk A-hole.

Just another NFL player then.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
Interesting.

During a Friday interview on The David Todd Show, Daniel Jeremiah revealed the latest he's heard about the Steelers and Fuller.

I'll be honest with you, I talked with somebody the other day and we were talking about different teams, and what they were going to do, and he told me, 'Hey, if your looking for Pittsburgh and what Pittsburgh's going to do, I'm telling right now, they're going to take Kyle Fuller,' said Jeremiah. "That's what some people in the league feel like, just how he fits with what they do and the needs they have, and that's the name I was given."

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/0...steelers-taking-virginia-tech-cb-kyle-fuller/

Fuller seems like a really solid pick. Gilbert and Dennard have been dominating the headlines for a while but from what i read, there are a lot of people who wouldn't be surprised if Fuller ends up have the longest, most productive career of the bunch.

sniugneP

Jun 28, 2008
Yeah Fuller would be a solid pick, the question is, would he be considered a reach at pick 15?

If Dennard and Gilbert were gone before 15th, they may have to grab Fuller even though it's a bit of reach. It's a gamble to trade down for Fuller because other team may get him before it's too late.

Fuller's stock is rising. He's physical, has good instincts, has a knack of finding the ball. He studies the receivers on tape. He's 6 ft and ran 4.4. There's a lot of positives about him. He's a good fit with Steelers. He can start right away.

Last edited:

sniugneP

Jun 28, 2008
Before, I thought Fuller would be late first round to early second round but now that his stock is rising, I could see him taken anywhere in 11th to 20th.

Dennard and Gilbert are bigger names but I admitted I didn't know much about Fuller until few months ago.

It wouldn't surprise me if Steelers rate Dennard and Fuller higher than Gilbert because they fit better with our defense. I won't have a problem with Steelers pick Fuller at 15th.

Last edited:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Lots of teams give out false info about who they are going to draft, it would be really stupid for a team to say we really like this player and we want to draft player X.

Not the Steelers though.

The past few drafts the news media basically announced who the Steelers were going to pick a week before the draft. Well last year anyways with Jones we all knew that was the pick going in. The year before, David DeCastro falling was a surprise.

As a fun aside, do you know who the Steelers' very first pick was?

A running back who also was a pretty good play writer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Pittsburgh_Steelers_first-round_draft_picks

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
So why do people prefer Denard and Gilbert over Fuller?

it could be based on merit, it might be based on momentum. Gilbert has elite athleticism, Denard has on-the-field results, the Thrope award and the type of nasty tough, demeanor that's coveted. at least that's what i've gathered from what i read. to be honest, i'm reticent to even dip my toe in discussion this year's draft as i haven't been following it all that closely. and even if i was following it closely, i'm no talent evaluator.

i really enjoyed hearing Greg Cosell from NFL Films break down the corners from this years draft.

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/v...nerbacks/b09e8ef4-8d05-4964-b0a1-bd55794e4f04

Mayock spoke briefly about the three of them:

"I personally prefer Fuller to Dennard," Mayock said. "They're not as naturally gifted as Gilbert from Oklahoma State and Roby from Ohio State. So it really depends what you're looking for. If you're looking for more upside, for instance, the kid Gilbert could go to Detroit. He's got return ability in the kick game, he's explosive, he's got beautiful hips, he can turn and run, he's got more upside than any corner in the draft. However, he's highly inconsistent, and I would say the thing about Roby. He's had some off-field issues, but his hips, his turning ability, his upside is incredible.

"I just happen to prefer football players that I trust more. And I trust Dennard, and I trust Fuller, either one of which I think would be a great pick at 10."

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2014/05/virginia_techs_kyle_fuller_cou.html

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
I hope the Steelers double-dip on CB. There will be so much talent still after the 4th round that it would be a great value pick. Other priority picks have to be NT, OT (Gilbert has yet to come together, Adams needs to completely turn things around) and OLB (the depth on our team and in this draft is scary for completely different reason). WR is as deep as you can ever dream and there will still be great options in the 5th round and beyond. The Steelers just used a visit for Quincy Enunwa and the more you read about him the more puzzling it is that he is not even in the top 30 of most WR prospect lists.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I hope the Steelers double-dip on CB. There will be so much talent still after the 4th round that it would be a great value pick. Other priority picks have to be NT, OT (Gilbert has yet to come together, Adams needs to completely turn things around) and OLB (the depth on our team and in this draft is scary for completely different reason). WR is as deep as you can ever dream and there will still be great options in the 5th round and beyond. The Steelers just used a visit for Quincy Enunwa and the more you read about him the more puzzling it is that he is not even in the top 30 of most WR prospect lists.

And there's precedent for that, right? A couple times - although they've not drafted a CB in the first round under Tomlin but still. I agree. You just can't have too many corners anymore.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
it could be based on merit, it might be based on momentum. Gilbert has elite athleticism, Denard has on-the-field results, the Thrope award and the type of nasty tough, demeanor that's coveted. at least that's what i've gathered from what i read. to be honest, i'm reticent to even dip my toe in discussion this year's draft as i haven't been following it all that closely. and even if i was following it closely, i'm no talent evaluator.

i really enjoyed hearing Greg Cosell from NFL Films break down the corners from this years draft.

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/v...nerbacks/b09e8ef4-8d05-4964-b0a1-bd55794e4f04

Mayock spoke briefly about the three of them:

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2014/05/virginia_techs_kyle_fuller_cou.html

Ya, I'm just not an NFL draft nerd anymore and I loath college football now. I used to be a massive draft geek when I was like 11, but it has gotten so overexposed and hyped, that I lost interest a long time ago. I followed the NFL draft closely from 1990-2004 and the only guys the Steelers ever took that I wanted were Hastings, Plex and Roth. So essentially who cares?

Now I rely on what others think. Mayock is usually spot on and watches tons of film. so if he likes a guy, then I'm comfortable with the Steelers taking him.

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
With the Dolphins wanting to trade up from 19 and the Eagles wanting to trade up for OBJ there are some decent options out there for a trade back. It'd be nice to pick up another 3rd.

sniugneP

Jun 28, 2008
Colbert said he won't trade up since we don't have a regular third round pick to use for trade. We have a compensatory third round pick but compensatory picks are not allowed to trade.

Link - Steelers draft

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I still kind of think that it will be Taylor Lewan. I just see him falling into their laps, and can not see them passing him up just because they could use a CB. He would by far be the best talent available at that point. Especially if the CB that they have topping their draft board is gone.

Taylor Lewan, I just have this idea it is going to be him and that the Steelers will address the other needs after.

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
If we can't get the CB we want I'm hoping for a trade back. I believe I read somewhere that Colbert thinks it's a good possibility.

sniugneP

Jun 28, 2008
I still kind of think that it will be Taylor Lewan. I just see him falling into their laps, and can not see them passing him up just because they could use a CB. He would by far be the best talent available at that point. Especially if the CB that they have topping their draft board is gone.

Taylor Lewan, I just have this idea it is going to be him and that the Steelers will address the other needs after.

I doubt all 3 top CBs will be gone before 15th pick. At least one of 3 CBs will be available for us. Lions and Titans need a CB. I don't see third team wanting a CB ahead of Steelers.

There is a drop off after those 3 CBs. Can we really afford to bypass a CB to pick a tackle? I don't think so. CB is bigger need than a tackle.

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
I doubt all 3 top CBs will be gone before 15th pick. At least one of 3 CBs will be available for us. Lions and Titans need a CB. I don't see third team wanting a CB ahead of Steelers.

There is a drop off after those 3 CBs. Can we really afford to bypass a CB to pick a tackle? I don't think so. CB is bigger need than a tackle.

Plus I honestly think they want to see what MM can do with their Oline and see how much it improves before spending more high picks at the position.

I'm 90 percent sure we're taking a CB round one. Unless something super unexpected happens, like another DD drop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad