OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: The Long and Boring Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Trade down into the 20s , pickup a 2nd and 3rd. Trade that pick ( whatever it is in 20s) to a bad team who is jumping back into the first round and get their first round next year( which would likely be top ten) and another 2nd and 3rd.

Giving us no first round pick this year but three 2nd round picks, three 3rd rounders and two first round picks next year.

POW!

Retool this team.

I'm sure that is easier said than done unfortunately. Who wants to help out the Pittsburgh Steelers? Teams are probably enjoying the fact that we don't compete anymore, teams with no future will do these trade downs, teams like the Jets, Browns, etc.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Nobody is going to give up a 2nd & 3rd to move up from the 20's to 15. The 49ers gave up a 3rd round pick to move up from 31 to 18 last year. I'm not against the idea, but you have to be realistic about the expected compensation, especially in a draft where so many teams are rumored to be interested in trading down. If the Steelers do trade down early, I hope they trade back up later. They already have 9 picks at this point.

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
I more or less meant 2 CBs and 2 pass catchers in the first 4 rounds. Unless Watkins or Evans are there I hope Dennard is.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
I'd go with a CB in the 1st I think we can find a good receiver in the 3rd or 4th. The only exception would be if Evans slid to the 15th pick, then trying to trade up if Dennard slips. That's a bit optimistic though.I've never been happier about a Steelers off season before. I think they made all of the right moves for once. Personally, if we can get Evans, Gilbert, or Dennard I'd be extremely satisfied. A receiving TE at some point wouldn't be a bad option, wouldn't want one early though.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I'd go with a CB in the 1st I think we can find a good receiver in the 3rd or 4th. The only exception would be if Evans slid to the 15th pick, then trying to trade up if Dennard slips. That's a bit optimistic though.I've never been happier about a Steelers off season before. I think they made all of the right moves for once. Personally, if we can get Evans, Gilbert, or Dennard I'd be extremely satisfied. A receiving TE at some point wouldn't be a bad option, wouldn't want one early though.

I agree with all of it, but depending what's available I'd be very tempted to take Ebron if I was in charge. We've never had a TE like that, and we've witnessed other teams getting to enjoy such a thing. Gates, Gronk, etc. I'd love to have a guy like that for Ben. A Wr trapped in a TE's body...that's what Ebron is.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
I agree with all of it, but depending what's available I'd be very tempted to take Ebron if I was in charge. We've never had a TE like that, and we've witnessed other teams getting to enjoy such a thing. Gates, Gronk, etc. I'd love to have a guy like that for Ben. A Wr trapped in a TE's body...that's what Ebron is.

I haven't seen him play, but if the 3 players I mentioned are gone by then, I'd love to get a big Gates-like TE. I'd much rather have a dominant TE over another receiver (except for Watkins and Evans) not a fan of Lee from USC. Isn't Ebron supposed to be a top 10 pick? I think that's a little high for a TE, but I wouldn't be against selecting him.

AgentM

Jan 4, 2008
Allison Park, PA

We drafted one 24 years ago! How quickly everyone forgets!!!

1756842_orig.jpg

chuppa chupp

star gazing
Apr 14, 2009
somewhere out there
The teams at the top of the draft have a ton of options here, but could you imagine if the Rams end up snagging Sammy Watkins? Him and Tavon Austin have the potential to be the most explosive set of offensive teammates I've seen since I started watching football.

Actually, scratch that. I forgot they have would still Sam Bradford throwing to them.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Easy Ed said the Steelers are looking to re-sign Velasco as long as he passes the physical.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Eric Green......wow.....that guy could have been so much more than he was. He was definitely less than the sum of his parts.

He could have been incredible with the physical ability he had, but never reached his potential.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
The teams at the top of the draft have a ton of options here, but could you imagine if the Rams end up snagging Sammy Watkins? Him and Tavon Austin have the potential to be the most explosive set of offensive teammates I've seen since I started watching football.

Actually, scratch that. I forgot they have would still Sam Bradford throwing to them.

The Rams are in a fantastic situation. If the Texans go with Bortles then they can trade down easily or take Clowney. I think Watkins at #2 is too high, but he will be a dynamic do it all WR for years to come. I think Austin is a glorified special teams player. That kid from Oregon is gonna be the same way as Austin, IMO. Also, this is the year Bradford breaks out. He won't be a superstar, but a good starter. Although he lacks arm strength and is injury prone, he's intelligent and pretty accurate. It's not time to jump ship yet, unless Mettenberger slips to the 3rd rd, then I'd consider a switch for the future (kinda like what the Chargers did with Rivers/Brees, but Brees was a lot worse and Rivers was a 1st rder).

On an unrelated note. Do you guys know of any forums similar to HF dedicated to the NFL or fantasy football?

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
The Rams are in a fantastic situation. If the Texans go with Bortles then they can trade down easily or take Clowney. I think Watkins at #2 is too high, but he will be a dynamic do it all WR for years to come. I think Austin is a glorified special teams player. That kid from Oregon is gonna be the same way as Austin, IMO. Also, this is the year Bradford breaks out. He won't be a superstar, but a good starter. Although he lacks arm strength and is injury prone, he's intelligent and pretty accurate. It's not time to jump ship yet, unless Mettenberger slips to the 3rd rd, then I'd consider a switch for the future (kinda like what the Chargers did with Rivers/Brees, but Brees was a lot worse and Rivers was a 1st rder).

On an unrelated note. Do you guys know of any forums similar to HF dedicated to the NFL or fantasy football?

There's footballsfuture.com Kind of similar to here, less traffic over all I'd say. But I enjoy their draft and mock draft section this time of year. Some guys over there really know their scouting.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Scout.com. Go to NFL > Pgh > Heinz Field forum

I rarely post, but read it some during the season and draft. Lots of good posters and draft info, but a few bad ones (Matt6969 and Joel B) crave attention and jack a lot of good threads. Joel thinks he is a draft expert and whined all season how they should have taken Lacy over Bell. Then wrote a long thesis at the end of the season that "proved" he was right about Bell. It was all based off his YPC, and he said no rookie who finished under a 4.0 was ever went on to have a good career... the board loves to bust on him... but he has serious issues so avoid debating him for your own sanity.

The mods really let things escalate over there, so be prepared to watch good threads turn into dick measuring contests again and again from the same posters.

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
Tom Savage was invited to the draft. Everyone's claiming NFL teams love him and might just be the 1st overall pick......

.......of round 2.

sniugneP

Jun 28, 2008
Yeah, it's crazy. It's so unpredictable especially on quarterbacks.

Watch out for Mettenberger. His stock is rising now that his knee is healthy. I think he will be a very good QB in NFL. Wouldn't surprise me if he gets drafted in late 1st round.

I hope 3 or 4 QBs will be taken before Steelers' pick. That means more players available for us.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Yeah, it's crazy. It's so unpredictable especially on quarterbacks.

Watch out for Mettenberger. His stock is rising now that his knee is healthy. I think he will be a very good QB in NFL. Wouldn't surprise me if he gets drafted in late 1st round.

I hope 3 or 4 QBs will be taken before Steelers' pick. That means more players available for us.

Yeah apparently Savage is being talked up like crazy. The NFL scouting site had him a 5th or 6th rounder, and now it appears, if you believe the talk, he will go in the second round.

If you have a strong arm, and good measurables, what you did in college really doesn't matter. And conversely you could you be the most productive Qb in college but if you don't have those attributes, you have little chance of being successful in the NFL.

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
I'm hoping for a huge run on QB's and Oline before our pick. Along with Clowney, Barr, Mack and Watkins as guarantees before us that could leave us with a premium pick.

sniugneP

Jun 28, 2008
Also I hope Johnny college football goes to the Browns.

Browns are really high on Derek Carr.

A lot of teams are really nervous about Johnny Manziel. He's such a wild card. I think he's more interested in being a celebrity than being a football player.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
I'm hoping for a huge run on QB's and Oline before our pick. Along with Clowney, Barr, Mack and Watkins as guarantees before us that could leave us with a premium pick.

I agree, I believe there will still be an impact player available at 15. Also, I came across an interesting Dennard stat - 0.88 yards against per target, which is an all-time BCS record.

Another player I really like is OLB Kyle Van Noy. If Worrilds wants to sit on his transition tag, maybe time to already plan his replacement? Steelers aren't exactly well stocked at that position anyway. Maybe even trade up for him in the 2nd?

AgentM

Jan 4, 2008
Allison Park, PA
I agree, I believe there will still be an impact player available at 15. Also, I came across an interesting Dennard stat - 0.88 yards against per target, which is an all-time BCS record.

Another player I really like is OLB Kyle Van Noy. If Worrilds wants to sit on his transition tag, maybe time to already plan his replacement? Steelers aren't exactly well stocked at that position anyway. Maybe even trade up for him in the 2nd?

Interesting stat, don't suppose they had any historical info on cornerbacks currently in the NFL and what they gave up per target when they were in college did they?

So I leave for China tomorrow for work and will be there until May 9th at the earliest meaning I'll miss the Draft this year :cry: :rant: :cry:

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
Browns are really high on Derek Carr.

A lot of teams are really nervous about Johnny Manziel. He's such a wild card. I think he's more interested in being a celebrity than being a football player.

Exactly why I'd love to see him land in Cleveland . :)

Cannot believe what I'm reading about Savage. Ben Roethlisberger, as of right now, is more mobile than Savage has been his entire life. Had such an average year last year with Pitt.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Exactly why I'd love to see him land in Cleveland . :)

Cannot believe what I'm reading about Savage. Ben Roethlisberger, as of right now, is more mobile than Savage has been his entire life. Had such an average year last year with Pitt.

Question is , who is his agent? Just spent a lot of money getting his client hyped up before the draft. 4 months between the end of the college season and the draft. With there being draft talk every night on the nfl network, everyday on espn, and all of the mock drafts online ...there's plenty of outlets these agents can put their money towards to get their guys name highlighted for about a week or so. Following week another appears. Happens every year.

It's why people are so shocked each draft when players fall . Most NFL teams( the smart ones) don't buy into it.

There's another aspect to it as well. You'll hear a lot of reports from unnamed GMs of teams either making negative comments about a player, hoping he will drop. Or hyping some up so they will be taken , giving themselves a better chance at the guy they want.

As I said, that's why the teams that know what they are doing, stick to their own board. But each year , it never fails we see a handful of teams fall for those types of things and go against their own board in a certain round. If that wasn't the case, these types of things wouldn't continue.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad