OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: The Long and Boring Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I'd rather the Steelers get Kelvin Benjamin over Beckham if it came down to it. I don't see how Beckham would be a good choice at 15.

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
I'd rather the Steelers get Kelvin Benjamin over Beckham if it came down to it. I don't see how Beckham would be a good choice at 15.

He won't be. From what I understand he's basically Antonio Brown 2.0. We've had meetings with Benjamin. If the big 4 aren't available (Dennard, Gilbert, Ebron, Evans) then I think KB is the pick. Hopefully on a trade back.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
He won't be. From what I understand he's basically Antonio Brown 2.0. We've had meetings with Benjamin. If the big 4 aren't available (Dennard, Gilbert, Ebron, Evans) then I think KB is the pick. Hopefully on a trade back.

That could be a problem though. Since the consensus is that this is a very deep draft with many teams trying to trade down, which could make it harder for the Steelers to trade down themselves. If those four players are off the board before the Steelers pick at #15, and they are unable to trade down, what then?

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
That could be a problem though. Since the consensus is that this is a very deep draft with many teams trying to trade down, which could make it harder for the Steelers to trade down themselves. If those four players are off the board before the Steelers pick at #15, and they are unable to trade down, what then?

Status quo......BPA. Or maybe the reach a bit for KB if they like him enough. 15 is only a bit of a reach for him. His upside is definitely worth number 15 but I'd rather have him at like 20.

Maybe someone really wants Donald or Dix if they are there to trade up. What if Carr falls? I'm sure there's going to be a semi surprise pick before us. I'm hoping for a run on QB's and OT's because that's 7 out of the 14 right there. Then there's Clowney, Watkins, Barr, Mack. 11 out of 14, with Gilbert, Dennard, Evans and Ebron left.

That's at least what I'm hoping for.

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
is the logic that if the steelers preferred guys are all gone it means that QBs are likely falling and therefore you might get some heightened interest from teams looking to move up and grab the QB of the future sound?

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
is the logic that if the steelers preferred guys are all gone it means that QBs are likely falling and therefore you might get some heightened interest from teams looking to move up and grab the QB of the future sound?

That might be the Steelers' only hope of trading down in the first round. Otherwise, they might have to take a player that is a bit of a reach at #15.

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
That might be the Steelers' only hope of trading down in the first round. Otherwise, they might have to take a player that is a bit of a reach at #15.

Yeah, it's def possible, but in general I'd expect that even if the 1st part is true, the 2nd part about QB value probably won't be that significant still.

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
There's always some random pick in the top half of the draft. Plus there's always the Browns. And don't they have 2 picks in 1?

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
The Cleveland Browns should have been able to build 7 Super Bowl winning teams by now. How that team has a fan left, I'll never know. Then again, I don't know how the Pirates have fans left...so there's that.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
The Cleveland Browns should have been able to build 7 Super Bowl winning teams by now. How that team has a fan left, I'll never know. Then again, I don't know how the Pirates have fans left...so there's that.

people like sports and they like supporting the home team. pretty simple. If I want to watch baseball, I want it to be the Pirates. I just cannot build up an interest in a sports team that isn't from Pittsburgh.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
people like sports and they like supporting the home team. pretty simple. If I want to watch baseball, I want it to be the Pirates. I just cannot build up an interest in a sports team that isn't from Pittsburgh.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Hes a Ravens fan, think about it. I'm not saying it's aliens....

Yeah, that does make sense. Every time I read his picks for the Steelers it's always a 1st/2nd round tweener and there are vastly better football players on the board.

He always backs the pick up with, "this is a scheme pick." As if that is some consolation for way over drafting a guy.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
Yeah, that does make sense. Every time I read his picks for the Steelers it's always a 1st/2nd round tweener and there are vastly better football players on the board.

He always backs the pick up with, "this is a scheme pick." As if that is some consolation for way over drafting a guy.

today, for the first time, i heard him talk about sports other than football. i tuned into ESPN radio early in the morning while taking a drive and apparently he's the co-host of a program. he spent some time talking about the Knicks. it was painful.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
today, for the first time, i heard him talk about sports other than football. i tuned into ESPN radio early in the morning while taking a drive and apparently he's the co-host of a program. he spent some time talking about the Knicks. it was painful.

Until very recently, I have been a draft nut, and a lot of it was because I was into college football, which my interest has sort of diminished in for some reason. Kiper and McShay's rankings were what I used a lot of the time right after the draft was done because it just gave me a good list of players to look out for in the coming seasons. I always sort of took McShay more seriously, but in actuality, he's no better than Kiper. The problem with both guys is they fall victim to both the hype a player can generate in a short period of time, and watching WAY too much of a player and then becoming overly critical.

I have always said, if a junior makes their top 32, and then decides to go back to college and that player can remain towards the top of their list for a 2nd consecutive year...odds are they are a pretty awesome college football player. Taylor Lewan, though I don't particularly like him, has been highly rated by both of those guys for 2 straight years and it has never wavered.

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
Apparently Allen Robinson killed it at his pro day. I think he's definitely an option in rd2 if he's still available and we didn't pick a WR in rd 1.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Penn State WR's scare me. It's been a long time since they produced a really good NFL WR. Not saying Robinson can't be the exception and turn out great. I'm just a little skeptical about their WR's since they haven't produced a good WR since probably the 90's.

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
Just like USC quarterbacks. Or Florida quarterbacks. Or future Cleveland Brown quarterbacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad