OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: The Greatest Show On Grass

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Do you think maybe they are getting a ton of pressure because Philly's d is running hard towards the line of scrimmage on the snap because the Steelers have given them no reason to contain the deep ball?

You talk about it being hard to throw deep if you run. The reverse is also true, it's hard to run or throw screens when the defense is effectively playing on a 15 yard field.

From the start Williams was struggling just to make the line of scrimmage. From there, everything else fell apart. So the answer is: no, the poor passing day was definitely instigated by the fact the offensive line was getting owned - resulting in Ben having very few opportunities to throw without having someone in his grill. After 20 minutes of this, Ben had very little accuracy to speak of, and on top of it the WRs dropped about 5 passes that made contact with their freaking sternum.

I'll go back to my original point: the Eagles gameplan was allowed to be so effective because none of the other WRs behind Bryant can fill his shoes. It's not even close. He's basically Randy Moss with slightly worse hands and better agility (and a greater propensity for getting caught having smoked marijuana). With him on the field, the secondary has to play differently because he's one of the very few players in the league who can get behind just about anyone no matter the coverage, and on the rare occasion he can't, he'll out-jump them. Not saying he actually does those things all the time, but he does them enough to force opposing teams to have to plan around his abilities. What the Eagles did today was limit Brown to mostly short receptions, bring the pressure (pass and run blitzes) and dare James, Rogers, Wheaton, and Coates to beat them. They couldn't. The Oline couldn't handle the pressure, the pressure threw Ben off his game, and the WRs couldn't make plays with any kind of regularity.

Last edited:

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Brown had 140 yards receiving. The Eagles did nothing to even slow him down. If anything, I'd say the biggest thing Bryant would have changed would be that he's such a huge target in the red zone.

The line was certainly part of the problem. I just believe the same can be said for the entire coaching staff. The Steelers lacked focus in every aspect of the game today.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
He had 12 receptions for 140 yards. They limited him to SHORT receptions...Do you think his 11.4 YPR were actually 11.4 yard passes with 0 YAC? I hope not; that would be stupid.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
As far as regular seasons go, that's easily a top 5 most embarrassing game I've ever endured and I'm the wrong side of 30. Absolutely pathetic. Team absolutely quit late in the 3rd Q.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Not sure why so many Steeler fans are upset.

This was another Tomlin special where he doesn't have the team prepared. It happens several times every season and it won't ever change. So be prepared for a few more this year, if you want to keep your sanity following this team.

Tomlin is what he is. This team will never be fully disciplined or flawless under his watch.

At least he wins more than he loses. We could be stuck watching Jeff Fisher grind this team into mediocrity year after year and somehow never get fired.

Pharrell Williams

watch me whip and nae nae
Sep 15, 2013
a particular place or position.

This was another Tomlin special where he doesn't have the team prepared. It happens several times every season and it won't ever change. So be prepared for a few more this year, if you want to keep your sanity following this team.

Tomlin is what he is. This team will never be fully disciplined or flawless under his watch.

At least he wins more than he loses. We could be stuck watching Jeff Fisher grind this team into mediocrity year after year and somehow never get fired.

the best part of living around cincinnati is the discussion i hear every time marvin lewis gets a new contract :)

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC

He may be Jeff Fisher, remember, he inherited BEN. Minus Ben, what are Tomlin's teams??

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
He may be Jeff Fisher, remember, he inherited BEN. Minus Ben, what are Tomlin's teams??

Take the starting QB off most teams and it gets dicey, aside from Belicheat and I suspect he's still finding ways to be morally flexible about the rules.

I'm not a Tomlin fan so I'm not going to get into defending him, but he's prob a lifer since he pays under the Rooneys forgiving eyes. So might as well accept there will be 3-4 games like this every season under Tomlin.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
As far as regular seasons go, that's easily a top 5 most embarrassing game I've ever endured and I'm the wrong side of 30. Absolutely pathetic. Team absolutely quit late in the 3rd Q.

The sad part is it isn't just the players you can say that about. It felt like the coaches quit too.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Gotta hand it to the Eagles - they look like they could have a year similar to Ben's rookie year when the Steelers went 15-1, but the difference is they are more pass heavy and therefore Carson would be ready for the playoffs and possibly not have the rookie choke like Ben.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I think Wentz is a great young QB, but I think there will be enough tape on him by the 6th week of the season, and you'll start seeing teams baiting him into bad throws much easier.

To his credit, he plays a very safe, sustainable, effective manner. He's definitely a new guard of sorts, I think. I don't think he'll be a flash in the pan type QB that we're sort of prone to seeing these days.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
My worry watching the Philly game is simply this - the road will go through New England at some point. The way Wentz abused our secondary is a glimpse of what Brady can do to them. So ultimately we are built to compete against 90% of the league minus the likes of those type of QBs who will dink/dunk all over our stupid soft zone.

That's concerning because we sure as hell aren't getting pressure to the QB.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
My worry watching the Philly game is simply this - the road will go through New England at some point. The way Wentz abused our secondary is a glimpse of what Brady can do to them. So ultimately we are built to compete against 90% of the league minus the likes of those type of QBs who will dink/dunk all over our stupid soft zone.

That's concerning because we sure as hell aren't getting pressure to the QB.

The two times the Steelers beat Brady, they played press all day. That's what they should have done yesterday and I'll have to see the All-22, but they were playing off on a majority of the snaps.

It makes no sense and never will to me, why this defense suddenly got so passive.

They also dick around on O when they should be running the hurry up all day until they get a big lead.

It's truly baffling why this **** happens over and over again every season.

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
The two times the Steelers beat Brady, they played press all day. That's what they should have done yesterday and I'll have to see the All-22, but they were playing off on a majority of the snaps.

It makes no sense and never will to me, why this defense suddenly got so passive.

They also dick around on O when they should be running the hurry up all day until they get a big lead.

It's truly baffling why this **** happens over and over again every season.

Why has Butler gone passive, who knows. Maybe with the Dupree injury he has changed up his game plan, but to me, that should mean more blitzes not less.

Ben also needs to start taking what the defense is giving him and get rid of the ball on time. Ben is so inconsistent in this area and it shows up in sacks and TO's.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
I think Wentz is a great young QB, but I think there will be enough tape on him by the 6th week of the season, and you'll start seeing teams baiting him into bad throws much easier.

To his credit, he plays a very safe, sustainable, effective manner. He's definitely a new guard of sorts, I think. I don't think he'll be a flash in the pan type QB that we're sort of prone to seeing these days.

He's one cool customer. A different breed, if you will. Philly fans have every right to be excited.

And New England is and will remain a problem. Jimmy G could torch this potato D, let alone Lord Brady.

Then there's the Ravens. Him and haw about them being a "weak 3-0 team" okay, fact of the matter is they're looking like a playoff team again and even in their down year swept the Steelers last year, fresh off whooping them in the playoffs the year before. They'll also be a problem.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Why has Butler gone passive, who knows. Maybe with the Dupree injury he has changed up his game plan, but to me, that should mean more blitzes not less.

Ben also needs to start taking what the defense is giving him and get rid of the ball on time. Ben is so inconsistent in this area and it shows up in sacks and TO's.

Roth has a bad habit of forcing the ball to Brown, and it takes away the rhythm of the offense. However, as we saw agt Cincy and last season as well, when he doesn't get the ball, Brown whines like a three year old.

Brown is a diva and I'm 100% sure it effects Roth's mindset. He may be a future HOFer, but in the back of his mind he has to be thinking about getting Brown the ball umpteen number of times a game.

That corner route Brown scored on in DC, Roth had two guys streaking wide open to both hashes and he threw into tight coverage, then told the media he threw it because "Brown is my guy".

Ya, and that's the problem.

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
The one thing that Tomlin get's right and so many teams get wrong is that you don't want to peak in September. Build the team, struggle where you must early and finish strong. It doesn't always work since the Steelers are in a very competitive division, unlike New England, but it is the right strategy.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
We can't get anywhere near the QB this year. Part of it is Bulter's passive, deep cover 2 bull **** which is infuriating but the other aspect is our OLB's blow major ass.

With no pressure this team will get absolutely roasted by folks like Brady. We've seen it a dozen times before.

Timmons is long gone as a quality player, Shazier can't stay healthy, Jones is an absolute bum and God bless Harrison but he's pushing 40.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Butler is going full Lebeau, but he sort of has to. These corners are really bad. Thankfully, he have some promise in the secondary. Gay and Cockrell are in over their heads on the outside as neither has the ability to shut any wide receiver down. Cockrell right now is being used as a speed bump. Both guys could be good nickel/dime corners.

It's also unfortunate to see our DL swallow up an offensive line, but we just don't have the jets on the outside to turn the corner fast enough.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
And he was already getting fined. There's a strict system of fines in place for this. Was there really a need to threaten an ejection?

Just another example of why you don't give someone unlimited and unquestioned power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad