OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: RIP L.C. Greenwood

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteelFish87*

i dont think this is a good draft for franchise LTs

guess we better hope they get Clowney

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
We had this discussion about how much harder free agency has become. I don't disagree. I just question the air in this thread (not from you per se) that what's happening now is inevitable. An ebb was inevitable. The sinking ship is another matter (and, to the degree that the ship sinking has to do with Art Rooney seeing replacing Arians with his ball boy as the only need after the defense got Tebowed, Rooney is in good part culpable in how far and fast things have sunk).

The meddling of Little Artie and the hiring of Todd Haley was when the ship began to sink. What did was Little Artie thinking when he hired a coach that has a very bad history with his players? To put Ben in his place because he was getting bigger than the logo? Yeah, great job there Little Artie. You sure put Ben in his place alright, now enjoy the **** sandwich you made yourself.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
The meddling of Little Artie and the hiring of Todd Haley was when the ship began to sink. What did was Little Artie thinking when he hired a coach that has a very bad history with his players? To put Ben in his place because he was getting bigger than the logo? Yeah, great job there Little Artie. You sure put Ben in his place alright, now enjoy the **** sandwich you made yourself.

Once upon a time, Dan Rooney instructed Chuck Noll to make some changes to his staff. Then again, Dan did it when nothing was working, and Noll chose to resign. This time, lil' Artie forced change for the one thing that did work in a playoff game where the Steelers got Tebowed, and Mike Tomlin was ever too happy to oblige, no matter how pathetic and ineffectual it would render him thereafter.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Once upon a time, Dan Rooney instructed Chuck Noll to make some changes to his staff. Then again, Dan did it when nothing was working, and Noll chose to resign. This time, lil' Artie forced change for the one thing that did work in a playoff game where the Steelers got Tebowed, and Mike Tomlin was ever too happy to oblige, no matter how pathetic and ineffectual it would render him thereafter.

Dan also instructed the team to draft Ben after not having a QB that could put them over the top in 25 years.

Dan interfered when things weren't working. That bum that won a sperm lotto interferes because he wants to show everyone he's a big boy that's in charge!

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Dan also instructed the team to draft Ben after not having a QB that could put them over the top in 25 years.

Dan interfered when things weren't working. That bum that won a sperm lotto interferes because he wants to show everyone he's a big boy that's in charge!

Pats sure don't look like a team on the decline tonight. And, Julian Edelman's 1 year, 1M deal suggests that you can still find a value in free agency.

Anyway, I digress, Shockmaster. Let's go back to the topic at hand. Word is, after the game, Artie asked Todd 'how about a Fresca, ball boy'. :sarcasm: (maybe)

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Pats sure don't look like a team on the decline tonight. And, Julian Edelman's 1 year, 1M deal suggests that you can still find a value in free agency.

Anyway, I digress, Shockmaster. Let's go back to the topic at hand. Word is, after the game, Artie asked Todd 'how about a Fresca, ball boy'. :sarcasm: (maybe)

I heard Little Artie puts the Fresca in a bowl for Haley on the ground and pets him on the head as he drinks it.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
What does that have to do with winning football games? So the only way you can win is if you throw the ball 80% of the game. Want to know what I liken this to? The NHL. The NHL wants to be a high scoring league, but who wins? Typically teams with great defense.

Having a balanced attack is how you're going to win games. A top defense will trump a top offense more often than not. I don't fault the Rooney's at all for seeking a better commitment to the run, but when Arians was let go, they were passing in the worst situations possible.

Pushing the ball down field is great, but it's significantly harder to do so when you do not having a running game, and the presence of a good running game is how these teams with average QB's do so well, and its particularly necessary in the red zone.

I just remember when the Colts had a high powered offense and then they met the Steelers defense and running game or the Pats defense and running game. Or when the Pats had a high powered offense and they met the Giants defense and running game. Or the 9ers high powered offense met the Ravens defense and running game. Or how about all of those Eagles teams that always came up short. Those teams are about as 2013 as it gets. A great offense cannot score if they do not have the ball. If they do not have the ball, and you are giving them a fraction of the time your team has the ball, you're taking a high risk, boom or bust offense, and making it way more risky. Now every time they touch the ball they have to score. With an ability to rush the QB, the odds of them scoring every single time they touch the ball is never going to happen.

The game of football is easy. You start with great defense that can rush the QB, which completely neutralizes a team that is set up to pass the ball down field. That's fact, and it has been proven, irregardless of how the league is set up. If you couple a defense with an offense that is well balanced that has the ability to pick up 1st downs through the air, and get consistent push on the ground, that team is going to win every single time. That theory of football transcends where the commissioner would like to take the game, which is not a place where a majority of football fans would like to see it go.

Well, the NFL has evolved to a passing offense league. The stats don't lie on that. I'm not saying it's for better or worse or for winning or losing. The league has moved to passing dominance over run dominance. Not sure what the reference to defense has to do with offense. There's no debate about how important defense is in any sport.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Well, the NFL has evolved to a passing offense league. The stats don't lie on that. I'm not saying it's for better or worse or for winning or losing. The league has moved to passing dominance over run dominance. Not sure what the reference to defense has to do with offense. There's no debate about how important defense is in any sport.

Except in Pittsburgh, where it doesn't seem very important these days.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012

Defense is important, but it's role is different. Yards-allowed is a meaningless stat. Defenses need to make big plays and be good in red zones. Getting sacks and forcing turnovers are way more important then limiting the amount of yards the other team's offense gives up.

Do you have a link? Just because you keep saying it doesn't make it so.

Here's a picture of Todd drinking out of his bowl. Is this good enough? ;)

dog-drinking-water.jpg

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Well that got interesting. Fun ending to what looked like a blowout a half hour ago.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
I wish people would stop taking about the offense. The defense is the real reason this team is going nowhere fast.

They both need addressed mind you but still.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
R.I.P. LC Greenwood. Cause of death may have been from watching yesterday's game or just the whole first month of the season in general. :sarcasm:

I thought Le'Veon Bell looked good.

Cortez Allen had a rough first game back. Hopefully it was just rust. He had me missing William Gay in the starting lineup at one point yesterday. :laugh:

Mike Adams is really struggling. I think they may have to consider making a switch there. Maybe move Beachum to LT and plug someone else in at guard if Foster misses significant time.

I really wish Ben could balance his scrambling / holding onto the ball and throwing it away better than he does. I don't want to take away his ability to improvise. It's just very frustrating when it looks like there are chances to throw the ball away and live to play another down or at least stay on schedule a little better down and distance wise and he doesn't do it.

We are going to have our highest draft pick in many, many years. Probably the highest since we picked Plaxico 8th overall in 2000.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I wish people would stop taking about the offense. The defense is the real reason this team is going nowhere fast.

They both need addressed mind you but still.

While the offense certainly shares a load of the blame, the defense has been getting a pass for too long. For the third straight season they can't force turnovers and they have trouble getting pressure on the opposing QB. Lack of talent is part of the issue, but so is coaching. LeBeau's scheme has just gone stale. I believe he'll go down as one of the greatest defensive minds in the NFL, if not the greatest. However, right now I think he's washed up. You can't just sit back with 10 yard cushions and "hope" the other team eventually makes a mistake. You need to be aggressive and take some risks, but LeBeau is scared to death of that because it might give up "a big play". They're giving up big plays anyways.

My fear if Keith Butler gets promoted to DC is that he'll just run the same stale scheme in tribute to LeBeau and bring nothing new to the table. That's why I'd like to see the entire coaching staff canned at the end of the season. Bring in different people with a fresh perspective and different philosophies.

sniugneP

Jun 28, 2008
There is nothing wrong with defensive scheme. This scheme built for putting pressure on QBs and stopping the run. If they put a lot of pressure on QBs, it will create turnovers and sacks. The problem is we lack talent in up front especially pass rushers. Woodley is useless, Keisel is aging, Hood is mediocre. We have Jones but he can't do it alone all the time, we need multiple rushers.

I think Butler will be more aggressive than Lebeau if he'll promote. There will be some tweaking in the scheme.

Last edited:

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
There is nothing wrong with defensive scheme. This scheme built for putting pressure on QBs and stopping the run. If they put a lot of pressure on QBs, it will create turnovers and sacks. The problem is we lack talent in up front especially pass rushers. Woodley is useless, Keisel is aging, Hood is mediocre. We have Jones but he can't do it alone all the time, we need multiple rushers.

I think Butler will be more aggressive than Lebeau if he'll promote. There will be some tweaking in the scheme.

The scheme is a problem when you try to pressure the QB yet play your coverage 10 yards off the ball. You know the QB will have to get rid of it quickly so sit on those routes and intercept passes. Yet here we are with zero turnovers and our defense getting dinked and dunked to death. They also can't stop the run anymore, but that's more personnel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad