OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: New Quarter Backs for the Handball team!

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Another mock where jpj isn’t a 1st round pick
And if we can get one of the three talked about in the 2hd RD, great! I just wouldn't count on any of them lasting to 51.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Good.

The Khan - Andy Weidl team put a value on free agents and draft picks and don't reach.

I like that.

As for center it seems likely that at least one, if not more than one of the top options, should be there in the second round for the Steelers. No guarantees but a very strong chance.

This article breaks it down.

It's ok to be choosy when you have good options, but when you don't then you might need to bend a bit. We left ourselves vulnerable and the issues there have been left for six weeks now. It could all get resolved shortly but ATM it looks tenuous.

I mean theres 5 in top 130 they can get a guy in round 3 if they want
Absolutely, but likely none of those guys start day 1 beyond the top three, so then we're back to no good options when starting the season. If we're a win now team that doesn't really make a lot of sense.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Good.

The Khan - Andy Weidl team put a value on free agents and draft picks and don't reach.

I like that.

As for center it seems likely that at least one, if not more than one of the top options, should be there in the second round for the Steelers. No guarantees but a very strong chance.

This article breaks it down.

Yeah I don't think that's a very good article. It completely discounts the chance of one of the Cs being picked to play G and also discounts at least a couple of very common mock landing places for a C. Would not have a high level of confidence that only the four teams named will be involved in the first three Cs.

Reactions: JTG

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I think we need to move up in the 2hd round to make sure we get Frazier. JPJ and Barton likely go between 24-36.

Also, wasn't JPJ just in for a visit?

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
It depends on value. Someone highly rated is going to fall to 20. And honestly none of the centers seem to be the value pick that high.

If you are that desperate for a center trade down and get a pick in return. But if it were me I would take the best player who fell to 20 and take a chance at one of the centers being there in round two. Or take one of the remaining centers in round 3.

Reactions: Pens1566

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
It depends on value. Someone highly rated is going to fall to 20. And honestly none of the centers seem to be the value pick that high.
With the injury rumors about Powers Johnson running rampant I'd hesitate myself at 20. That said I'd be very concerned about moving up in RD2. I'd likely go OT in RD1, Depending on which guys are there. Latham (doubtful he's there), Mims (very possible), I'd even move up for CB Quinyon Mitchell depending on the cost. If we move down look at Dejean and get our C in mid 2hd round if possible.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
I would be completely shocked if Barton or J P-J made it to 51. But Frazier's RAS score and his injury could have him being there at 51.

I took J P-J in the first round of the HFBoards Mock Draft, with what I knew at the time, but I am now convinced they will not go that route. I think they go OT or CB or maybe even WR and then make a decision in the 2nd for a Center at 51. If there isn't one there, aka Frazier, they wait and take one of SvP/Bortolini/Limmer/Nourzad with Pick 98+.

Reactions: Pens1566

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
I would be completely shocked if Barton or J P-J made it to 51. But Frazier's RAS score and his injury could have him being there at 51.

I took J P-J in the first round of the HFBoards Mock Draft, with what I knew at the time, but I am now convinced they will not go that route. I think they go OT or CB or maybe even WR and then make a decision in the 2nd for a Center at 51. If there isn't one there, aka Frazier, they wait and take one of SvP/Bortolini/Limmer/Nourzad with Pick 98+.

I think this is the closest to what will actually unfold. With one tiny deviation ... I think 20 will either be BPA (out of T/CB/WR/some crazy slider) or a trade down.

Teams just aren't going to spend draft value on C.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

I wonder about this. Unless I'm mistaken, none of them had a pre-draft visit with the Steelers and none of them had an OL coach at their pro day listed. And SD's tracking isn't perfect, but there's not many misses.

Throw in Khan's comments about looking for the next great Steelers center and it feels like the plan might be to try and get one of Barton/JPJ/Frazier to be that guy, but pivot back to stopgap UFAs if they can't and leave the draft alone. You can see them eying up late round options at DL/WR/OT/CB, but not CE.

But we'll see.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
I wonder about this. Unless I'm mistaken, none of them had a pre-draft visit with the Steelers and none of them had an OL coach at their pro day listed. And SD's tracking isn't perfect, but there's not many misses.

Throw in Khan's comments about looking for the next great Steelers center and it feels like the plan might be to try and get one of Barton/JPJ/Frazier to be that guy, but pivot back to stopgap UFAs if they can't and leave the draft alone. You can see them eying up late round options at DL/WR/OT/CB, but not CE.

But we'll see.
The o line coach went to oregon and duke they went to Georgia

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The o line coach went to oregon and duke they went to Georgia

So, in other words, as I said, the OL coaches have not been to see the lower ranked prospects. They've been to see the potentially great guys but there is no evidence they're looking at a back-up plan in the draft.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
So, in other words, as I said, the OL coaches have not been to see the lower ranked prospects. They've been to see the potentially great guys but there is no evidence they're looking at a back-up plan in the draft.
they don't want to make a mistake with their high picks, but they are more willing to take a chance later on. imo

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
To put it simply at 20 there should be a game changer star ceiling player available at a position of need. The exact position there at 20 will depend on who teams above them choose.

But the center or centers available will certainly will not be as highly ranked or with higher ceilings than that player that falls there.

You don't take a plug and play average player when a star player is there at a position of need. Again, these all are projections but that is the consensus.

If you are married to taking a center then for God's sake trade down and gain some assets to do it.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
To put it simply at 20 there should be a game changer star ceiling player available at a position of need. The exact position there at 20 will depend on who teams above them choose.

But the center or centers available will certainly will not be as highly ranked or with higher ceilings than that player that falls there.

You don't take a plug and play average player when a star player is there at a position of need. Again, these all are projections but that is the consensus.

If you are married to taking a center then for God's sake trade down and gain some assets to do it.

Yeah and the track record for them taking a position to take a position has not been promising lately:

Burns
Bush
Edmunds
Pickett

Not saying any of these centers turn out like some of those guys, but poi muting yourself in the draft to one position tends to not work out all that great.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
The oc has been to see some of the lower ranked c also.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
they don't want to make a mistake with their high picks, but they are more willing to take a chance later on. imo

If that's the logic, why bring in all the late round OTs and DLs and what not? Why not just take a chance there too?

The oc has been to see some of the lower ranked c also.

But not any of the Limmer/Nourzad/Bortolini second tier of Cs, except for SvP at the Georgia day.

Yeah and the track record for them taking a position to take a position has not been promising lately:

Burns
Bush
Edmunds
Pickett

Not saying any of these centers turn out like some of those guys, but poi muting yourself in the draft to one position tends to not work out all that great.

Tbf, when that's four of your last seven first rounders (and it's quite generous not having Harris there imo and Jones remains to be seen), I think the lesson is less "don't get stuck to drafting for need" and more "be better scouts and developers because you suck".

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
If that's the logic, why bring in all the late round OTs and DLs and what not? Why not just take a chance there too?

But not any of the Limmer/Nourzad/Bortolini second tier of Cs, except for SvP at the Georgia day.

Tbf, when that's four of your last seven first rounders (and it's quite generous not having Harris there imo and Jones remains to be seen), I think the lesson is less "don't get stuck to drafting for need" and more "be better scouts and developers because you suck".
I think that the lesson is both.

And some other lessons such as reaching for players because you just are smarter than everyone else thrown in as well. Several of those were not believed to be anywhere as highly rated as the Steelers had them.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

Agree with most of what you said except going CB in R1. Don't feel the Steelers will do that. Too many offensive holes with the defense already eating up most of the cap

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
How much of the Steelers recent success in drafting and FA is Khan and how much Andy Weidle?

I ask because we likely lose Weidle soon because of that success.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad