OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: New Quarter Backs for the Handball team!

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
No we definetely wont take Frazier at 20

He wont necessarily be gone at 51. I think his average is in the mid to late 40s.

Trading down is always an option depending whos is on the board. But there are too many variables to know that yet. The biggest being who goes before 20 and if we make a trade for a WR pre draft.
Valid points, and I sincerely hope we do make a trade for a WR provided we extract good value in doing so as opposed to getting taken to the cleaners. Khan doesn't strike me as a guy who'll just let his pocket get picked however.

Reactions: WheresRamziAbid

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
I disagree and here's why: If your center regularly gets caved in, and allows the DL to get penetration consistently, it can stifle the running game if we try to venture up the middle. And make us more predictable running to the outside. It also can have a significant impact on our QBs staying upright. We went through the Kendrick Green debacle, I don't want any part of that. You might not look at it as a big need, but it can cause problems that cascade through the offense as a result.

It’s not that I don’t see it as a big need because it is. I just think you could get adequate center play out of some of the second tier guys in the draft.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
It’s not that I don’t see it as a big need because it is. I just think you could get adequate center play out of some of the second tier guys in the draft.
Who and where? SVP? 3rd or 4th round? And are they plug and play?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Frazier going in the first round wouldn't surprise me. Frazier going in the third round wouldn't surprise me.

Moving up a little to get Frazier wouldn't bother me. Not moving and missing out wouldn't bother me either.

It's the draft. Certainty is for suckers. I just hope they're smart about value and fit, and keep reinforcing the OL. The rest of it won't be known for years anyway.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't think Frazier projects to be good enough for me to care if they don't get him in the draft. Yeah, they need a center and Frazier seems like a plug and play guy, but it doesn't seem like he has that high of an upside like Barton and arguably JPJ have. Frazier's upside seems to be more "solid starter" than anything, at least based on this scouting report:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I don't think Frazier projects to be good enough for me to care if they don't get him in the draft. Yeah, they need a center and Frazier seems like a plug and play guy, but it doesn't seem like he has that high of an upside like Barton and arguably JPJ have. Frazier's upside seems to be more "solid starter" than anything, at least based on this scouting report:

Where as Brugler says this:

"Overall, Frazier might not boast elite athleticism or length, but he is good enough inthose areas and will win over NFL teams with his core strength, football IQ, competitive toughness and understanding of leverage. He projects as a quality NFLstarting center the moment he is drafted."

And even the draftbuzz link gives you this

"While his ceiling may be tempered by physical limitations, his foundational skills and football IQ suggest a player capable of making a significant impact, especially within schemes that leverage his strengths."

Which is arguing for potentially more than a solid starter.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
Who and where? SVP? 3rd or 4th round? And are they plug and play?

Yup SVP is one I’d be totally fine if they took with one of the thirds. This team has enough needs to where they just need to take BPA if they stick at 20. I don’t really see many scenarios where that’s JPJ.

Reactions: Ulf5

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Where as Brugler says this:

"Overall, Frazier might not boast elite athleticism or length, but he is good enough inthose areas and will win over NFL teams with his core strength, football IQ, competitive toughness and understanding of leverage. He projects as a quality NFLstarting center the moment he is drafted."

And even the draftbuzz link gives you this

"While his ceiling may be tempered by physical limitations, his foundational skills and football IQ suggest a player capable of making a significant impact, especially within schemes that leverage his strengths."

Which is arguing for potentially more than a solid starter.

Eh I'm not really sure I see that with that write-up.

Both write-ups seem to think he has NFL ready talent and will be starting caliber, but his physical limitations will prevent him from being a true top C.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Frazier going in the first round wouldn't surprise me. Frazier going in the third round wouldn't surprise me.

Moving up a little to get Frazier wouldn't bother me. Not moving and missing out wouldn't bother me either.
Frazier not going in the top 40 would absolutely shock me. IMO the need to fill that position with Quality is paramount. We're use to guys like Webster, Dawson and Pouncey. I prefer we have an anchor there than continually going with third rate curtain jerkers.

Yup SVP is one I’d be totally fine if they took with one of the thirds. This team has enough needs to where they just need to take BPA if they stick at 20. I don’t really see many scenarios where that’s JPJ.
Again I'm ok with taking a C in the 2hd RD, but it has to be one of those three because the drop off is significant and all others to varying degrees are projects. I don't want Herbig starting there, that's for sure!

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Eh I'm not really sure I see that with that write-up.

Both write-ups seem to think he has NFL ready talent and will be starting caliber, but his physical limitations will prevent him from being a true top C.

His physical limitations basically put him between Cushenberry and Jensen as athletes, and they're currently two of the top 5 paid centers. That's assuming he was at the absolute 100% he could be to do that testing, which he probably wasn't.

This isn't like they've discovered he's Nate Herbig slow. He's a perfectly cromulent NFL center physically. He's not a perfect prospect either, but the idea of an unideal NFL athlete carving out a fine career through technique, smarts, and toughness is far from unknown at center either.

I don't know quite which profile to believe more, but I simply don't buy the idea that he categorically can't be a top NFL center because of his athleticism.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Steelers 6th round pick in the HFBoards NFL mock draft, #178, is in and it is Logan Lee, DL, Iowa.

I went with him because the Steelers have met with him at the combine and have brought him in for a visit to Pittsburgh.

The mock picks for the Steelers:

20. Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon
51. Kamari Lassiter, CB, Georgia
84. Jalen McMillan, WR, Washington
98. Blake Fisher, T, Notre Dame
119. Dadrion Taylor-Demerson, S, Texas Tech
178. Logan Lee, DL, Iowa

That'd be decent. It'd atleast plug all of the holes. *that's what she said

Mims is smiling like he thinks the Steelers are going to take him in round 1 here. I'd be really happy with the pick.

Mims in the 1st, Frazier in the 2nd and trading up to get another 2nd to get Pearsall would be a pretty awesome draft in my eyes.

Mims lacks experience like Broderick did. Here's the thing...if he didn't lack experience with his measurables he'd be right up there with Alt. His measurables are truly amazing.

THe thought of having Jones, Seumalo, Frazier, Daniels, Mims, and Washington. That's a ton of beef...literally.

Reading it now. Kind of feels like Brugler thinks Frazier might be a better C than JPJ or Barton out of the gate, just lacks their ceiling as an athlete. That's me reading into what he's saying rather than him saying it, but it's just the vibe i get.

Agreed. I think Barton is the better pick of all of them just because then it opens up round 2 for us and basically guarantees he plays to start the season. Frazier is my favorite player just because...I think he looks better than JPJ even though he doesn't test like him. At C, I always bet on the superior wrestler.

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
It would be huge if SVP could come in and start Day 1. He's definitely a mid 3rd round pick or later. Especially if JPJ and Frazier fall a bit as some have suggested they might.
Would allow best T round 1 then best WR-CB combo next 2 picks. Move up the second 3rd if you had to.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
It would be huge if SVP could come in and start Day 1. He's definitely a mid 3rd round pick or later. Especially if JPJ and Frazier fall a bit as some have suggested they might.
Would allow best T round 1 then best WR-CB combo next 2 picks. Move up the second 3rd if you had to.
SVP is very unlikely to start on day 1. If he can't then what do you do?

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
That's how I hope it breaks as well.

More reps in and of itself doesn't mean he'd start. I think if it's JPJ, Frazier or Barton they will start.
We drafted Kp and Jones as 1st round picks they didn’t start week 1. Moore started as a rookie because of injury but was supposed to redshirt as a 4th round pick. They don’t start rookies week 1

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
We drafted Kp and Jones as 1st round picks they didn’t start week 1. Moore started as a rookie because of injury but was supposed to redshirt as a 4th round pick. They don’t start rookies week 1
Great, so who's gonna play center?

Green started if I remember correctly, but even if not we don't even have a viable place holder there. Maybe circle back to the unremarkable Mason Cole.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Great, so who's gonna play center?

Green started if I remember correctly, but even if not we don't even have a viable place holder there. Maybe circle back to the unremarkable Mason Cole.
Herbig
Maybe the sign Williams or Allen after draft. The did ask cole to take a paycut sp him at vet minimum is possible

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Herbig
Maybe the sign Williams or Allen after draft. The did ask cole to take a paycut sp him at vet minimum is possible
So, no real good option then. Nah, if JPJ is drafted, Or Barton or Frazier they'll start. Barring injury.

Cole was bad, and yet Herbig didn't get in over him. As far as rookies starting it depends entirely on their position. Tackle I'd agree, probably not from Day 1. Center I could see if it's one of those three. Why? Because there's not a good alternative ATM. Maybe that changes but if they rolled with Green there they can roll with any of those three.

TBH I've heard this about JS from various sources for over a week. Hope it gets done. They said the same about Boyd in not upping the offer.

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Maybe he can find a home here. Super talented, but just incredibly odd fit everywhere.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
So, no real good option then. Nah, if JPJ is drafted, Or Barton or Frazier they'll start. Barring injury.

Cole was bad, and yet Herbig didn't get in over him. As far as rookies starting it depends entirely on their position. Tackle I'd agree, probably not from Day 1. Center I could see if it's one of those three. Why? Because there's not a good alternative ATM. Maybe that changes but if they rolled with Green there they can roll with any of those three.

TBH I've heard this about JS from various sources for over a week. Hope it gets done. They said the same about Boyd in not upping the offer.
Good.

The Khan - Andy Weidl team put a value on free agents and draft picks and don't reach.

I like that.

As for center it seems likely that at least one, if not more than one of the top options, should be there in the second round for the Steelers. No guarantees but a very strong chance.

This article breaks it down.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad