OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: New Quarter Backs for the Handball team!

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Does Kevin Colbert sign Russell Wilson, trade for Justin Fields, and then ship Kenny out of town? Maybe I'm wrong in believing it moves differently, but it does.

I mean we have no idea what Colbert would have done there before he didn't miss on drafting his own young franchise QB. We don't know how he'd have dealt with that situation, particularly if he had his HC jumping up and down crushing about a super cheap high prestige QB. He also didn't have the pressure of a near record length of playoff futility going on with an owner making loud comments about it not being good enough in the media.

History says Colbert were generally more patient than Khan but Colbert's situation was good and made patience profitable and something the other Steelers decision makers were on board with; Khan's situation has not been good and the other Steelers decision makers have been very impatient.

As such, it's an apples to oranges situation where we have no idea whether Colbert's and Khan's actions represent unbending philosophical differences or simply reactions to circumstances.

For what it's worth though, Colbert traded guys under "volunteers, not hostages" too, so that bit fits at least.

And, as mentioned before

"to not lose sight of the point - maybe the Steelers are more aggressive trading for players now, or moving on from players - but they're still targeting the same players. If we're looking for the magic wand of Andy Weidl as a big difference in these parts, it's hard to see when they're still chasing the same guys they've crushed on forever."

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
I know all the talk is about trading for an established WR. But they're going to command a boatload of cap. Would it be possible and/or prudent to move next year's 1st, one of this year's 3rds and something other than one of this year's remaining top 3 picks to move into the top 15 for a WR?
My thinking is next year's first should, hopefully at least, be in the 20s again.
This season's WR class is supposedly very deep with high end talent. 5 years of a cheap, top flight WR is a valuable thing to have. Especially when they're going for $25 million per year plus.
Yes I know the Chiefs won with not so great WRs. But we don't have Patty Mahomes.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I mean we have no idea what Colbert would have done there before he didn't miss on drafting his own young franchise QB. We don't know how he'd have dealt with that situation, particularly if he had his HC jumping up and down crushing about a super cheap high prestige QB. He also didn't have the pressure of a near record length of playoff futility going on with an owner making loud comments about it not being good enough in the media.

History says Colbert were generally more patient than Khan but Colbert's situation was good and made patience profitable and something the other Steelers decision makers were on board with; Khan's situation has not been good and the other Steelers decision makers have been very impatient.

As such, it's an apples to oranges situation where we have no idea whether Colbert's and Khan's actions represent unbending philosophical differences or simply reactions to circumstances.

For what it's worth though, Colbert traded guys under "volunteers, not hostages" too, so that bit fits at least.

And, as mentioned before

"to not lose sight of the point - maybe the Steelers are more aggressive trading for players now, or moving on from players - but they're still targeting the same players. If we're looking for the magic wand of Andy Weidl as a big difference in these parts, it's hard to see when they're still chasing the same guys they've crushed on forever."
Khan is way more aggressive than Colbert, it's night and day. And while they may share similar mindsets regarding personnel Khan would think out of the box to make a big move. So far so good with Khan. Colbert is more slow and steady, Khan is largely swinging for the fences without necessarily being reckless in the process. I'd deem him as ''calculated aggressive''.

Reactions: T1K

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Colbert who had a 1st round grade on kp and mason would’ve just ran them back this year. Maybe he brings in RW instead of mason

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
I know all the talk is about trading for an established WR. But they're going to command a boatload of cap. Would it be possible and/or prudent to move next year's 1st, one of this year's 3rds and something other than one of this year's remaining top 3 picks to move into the top 15 for a WR?
My thinking is next year's first should, hopefully at least, be in the 20s again.
This season's WR class is supposedly very deep with high end talent. 5 years of a cheap, top flight WR is a valuable thing to have. Especially when they're going for $25 million per year plus.
Yes I know the Chiefs won with not so great WRs. But we don't have Patty Mahomes.
The issue is future 1sts are a lot less valuable. Nobody wants a future 1st unless it’s the second piece of a deal, they’re never the core piece when trying to move up.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
Barton does seem like the best of the bunch but I’m still struggling a little bit with the idea of taking a center round one. Especially one that’s only played 4 career games at center.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Barton does seem like the best of the bunch but I’m still struggling a little bit with the idea of taking a center round one. Especially one that’s only played 4 career games at center.

It's not my favourite idea but I'd live with it and I think it's my favourite idea if they're going with a C. I'd like them to get a RT but reality is if the best there are gone, C does me.

Incidentally, found this read on drafting on The Athletic fascinating - NFL teams know the best way to draft, so why aren't they doing it?

Reactions: xlm34

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
What would be kind of bonkers is if they took Barton in round one and still took Frazier in round two. Sounds kind of crazy on the surface but some do believe Barton can play RT in the NFL.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Someone with more value than any of the centers at a position of need will be there. The Steelers have so many positions of need that it would be impossible that someone highly rated will not be there that will be a better choice.

I am more certain this year than in past that the team of Khan and Weidl will not reach.

Not 100 perfect certain, but fairly certain.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
What would be kind of bonkers is if they took Barton in round one and still took Frazier in round two. Sounds kind of crazy on the surface but some do believe Barton can play RT in the NFL.
Yeah yeah to be clear I meant prefer JPJ or Frazier to Barton specifically as the solution at center. I agree this would be an interesting route.

Spoken as a person who's wrong about this kind of thing every bit as much as he's right.

Reactions: Captain Hook

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
It's not my favourite idea but I'd live with it and I think it's my favourite idea if they're going with a C. I'd like them to get a RT but reality is if the best there are gone, C does me.

Incidentally, found this read on drafting on The Athletic fascinating - NFL teams know the best way to draft, so why aren't they doing it?

That’s a great read.

And yeah I guess priority number one for this team should be just getting good players, especially along the line. It’s the whole financial aspect of it that throws me. I was listening to a podcast the other day and it explained how you lose the benefit of the fifth year option when you take a center. They get lumped in with all the other linemen which inflates their option so you better hope they turn out to be elite.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

It would be very on brand. Position flexibility with both Barton is a 5 position player, they say, and Frazier can play all interior positions.

To me Barton is a good football player, but his value is that you can play him at LT and he won't look weird doing it, and honestly, he may be good at it. I don't see anything athletically hampering him from being a good tackle. I have to be missing something.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
That’s a great read.

And yeah I guess priority number one for this team should be just getting good players, especially along the line. It’s the whole financial aspect of it that throws me. I was listening to a podcast the other day and it explained how you lose the benefit of the fifth year option when you take a center. They get lumped in with all the other linemen which inflates their option so you better hope they turn out to be elite.
There should be an elite player at #20 for them whether that’s OT, DL, edge rusher, WR, CB…that’s what you take if they stay put…otherwise trade down into the last first or early second and grab a really good center

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Fwiw, Barton is now 25th on the Athletic Consensus Big Board. I can't say I feel like taking him at 20 feels like a reach. It doesn't spark joy in me and I'd rather trade down and try and pick up one of JPJ/Frazier if it came to it, but I don't hate it.

And while there's some stuff about taking a C at pick 20 in terms of value... there's always inefficiencies and this team needs an offensive line that can live up to its ambitions.

I'd also add that, just staring at the Athletic's big board -

It has all of the best tackles before 20, raising the spectre of the Steelers not being able to take them.

Other than Brian Thomas, it has no WR between 5 and 29 (also I'm tired of watching good skill players underperform because the line is crap). It does have an absolute ton of WR depth though.

There is a spate of defensive players right after 20 - DeJean, Wiggins, Newton, McKinstry - but I'm fed up of this team investing tons and tons into the defence and looking shocked when the offence smells like my burps after all you can eat sushi.

I can absolutely see the scenario where Barton makes the most sense (well, other than a trade down).

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Fwiw, Barton is now 25th on the Athletic Consensus Big Board. I can't say I feel like taking him at 20 feels like a reach. It doesn't spark joy in me and I'd rather trade down and try and pick up one of JPJ/Frazier if it came to it, but I don't hate it.

And while there's some stuff about taking a C at pick 20 in terms of value... there's always inefficiencies and this team needs an offensive line that can live up to its ambitions.

I'd also add that, just staring at the Athletic's big board -

It has all of the best tackles before 20, raising the spectre of the Steelers not being able to take them.

Other than Brian Thomas, it has no WR between 5 and 29 (also I'm tired of watching good skill players underperform because the line is crap)

There is a spate of defensive players right after 20 - DeJean, Wiggins, Newton, McKinstry - but I'm fed up of this team investing tons and tons into the defence and looking shocked when the offence smells like my burps after all you can eat sushi.

I can absolutely see the scenario where Barton makes the most sense (well, other than a trade down).
There are other positions of need other than tackle. If all are gone someone will be forced down to the Steelers.

Take the gift.

Reactions: Pens1566 and Andy99

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
It would be very on brand. Position flexibility with both Barton is a 5 position player, they say, and Frazier can play all interior positions.

To me Barton is a good football player, but his value is that you can play him at LT and he won't look weird doing it, and honestly, he may be good at it. I don't see anything athletically hampering him from being a good tackle. I have to be missing something.

He has sub 33 inch arms. That’s going to eliminate him as a tackle option for most teams. We saw the same thing last year for Skoronski — Titans desperately need a tackle and they don’t even seem to be considering trying him there.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
There are other positions of need other than tackle. If all are gone someone will be forced down to the Steelers.

Take the gift.

The options will be WR2, CB2, and DL if they like the DLs there.

This team needs a WR2 but the likely option there isn't all that ahead of who they can get later in the draft due to the depth.

CB2 is a luxury.

DL is a luxury, albeit will be a need very soon.

As such, I'm not seeing a a likely faller where the combination of talent over alternatives + team need makes me want them ahead of Barton.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad