GDT: The Pittsburgher Thread: 'Murican Handball, Go Steelers go! *Mod Warning Post #383*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
This was the worst coaching play calling I have ever seen in my life.

Tomlin is an embarrassment, he should have lost that game with his high school play calling.

I’m no Tomlin fan and it was a moronic call, but I’ve seen worse.

Reactions: KIRK

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
I'm not sure the FG fake was the dumbest call I've ever seen, but it's definitely in the discussion. Just atrocious. It's 3-3 at the tail end of the 2nd quarter, and you get the ball to start the 3rd quarter. You've got a chip shot FG, which no one ever comes after hard, and it makes for a small area to play with. I was almost positive we'd lose this game because we wouldn't be able to kick a FG/EP in a normal situation. The missed penalty doesn't matter. Tomlin's ridiculous decision is the problem.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
It is not that it is a supremely dumb call.

It is that Tomlin keeps making the same dumb call several times a year every year that he has been a coach in the league.

And he never learns from it.

Considering I’m one of his biggest critics around here, this isn’t news.

I’ve been trying to point out who Tomlin is for years, but Captain Cliche has the wool pulled over so many people’s eyes, most importantly the owner.

When confronted with his stupidity he sneakily blamed the players and ignored that the Browns players showed good awareness covering the play.

It’s not a lack of execution there Mike… if the Browns aren’t fooled, you are dead in the water because you have a f***ing kicker trying to throw into actual coverage.

Then he drops his verbal diarrhea and people suck it right up:

“The ultimate pursuit of winning games isn’t something we run away from”

Uh, I’d hope not Tomlin.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Just came across this stat for the last three games:

97 rushes and 100 passes

Tomlin is at least understanding what the blueprint is to win with this team.

Make Roth a game manger and lean on your run game, even though it won’t always bear fruit in the first half.

Reactions: pistolpete11

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
This was the worst coaching play calling I have ever seen in my life.

Tomlin is an embarrassment, he should have lost that game with his high school play calling.

Going for the fake field goal IN field goal range to get your kicker whacked is inexcusable imo.
Going for two point conversion, making it, HOLDING call, 10 yd penalty, AND STILL going for the 2-pt conversion... wtf was calling those plays? They forfeited more points than attained with their tricking-nobody-but-themselves tricky sneaky plays and poor decisions.

I was literally jumping out of my seat at work watching this game..... could not believe they managed to eek out a win yesterday. Stunned.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Going for the fake field goal IN field goal range to get your kicker whacked is inexcusable imo.
Going for two point conversion, making it, HOLDING call, 10 yd penalty, AND STILL going for the 2-pt conversion...

I was literally jumping out of my seat at work watching this game..... could not believe they managed to eek out a win yesterday. Stunned.

If they aren't confident the punter will make the XP try from the 20, what makes you think their confidence goes up being 10 yards back?

Even if they got ANOTHER penalty on that try, they still would have went for 2.

Reactions: LOGiK

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
If they aren't confident the punter will make the XP try from the 20, what makes you think their confidence goes up being 10 yards back?

Even if they got ANOTHER penalty on that try, they still would have went for 2.
What professional mutli-million dollar american football team doesnt have two f***ing kickers? lol

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
While we're on it, whats the word on bos? He flew like a bird for a second there - until he wasn't flying anymore, but laid down, broken.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
What professional mutli-million dollar american football team doesnt have two f***ing kickers? lol

It's called the salary cap. I can't remember the last time any team carried 2 dedicated kickers- probably had to be over 10 years ago.

About 5 or so years ago I think it was the Saints who had a guy doing double duty (punting and kicking). Can't remember his name but I think he was mediocre at best at both

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
He's in league mandated concussion protocol.
He kinda asked for it, holding the football for that long.... that's a no no.
Stupid play, even more stupid outcome. "Live and don't learn" I always used to say ... heh

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
It's called the salary cap. I can't remember the last time any team carried 2 dedicated kickers- probably had to be over 10 years ago.

About 5 or so years ago I think it was the Saints who had a guy doing double duty (punting and kicking). Can't remember his name but I think he was mediocre at best at both

Yeah the guy they used as #2 looked like a guy that just finished eating his nacho's watching the game from the crowd... I don't trust that guy to wash my car let alone FG from ***....

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Considering I’m one of his biggest critics around here, this isn’t news.

I’ve been trying to point out who Tomlin is for years, but Captain Cliche has the wool pulled over so many people’s eyes, most importantly the owner.

When confronted with his stupidity he sneakily blamed the players and ignored that the Browns players showed good awareness covering the play.

It’s not a lack of execution there Mike… if the Browns aren’t fooled, you are dead in the water because you have a f***ing kicker trying to throw into actual coverage.

Then he drops his verbal diarrhea and people suck it right up:

“The ultimate pursuit of winning games isn’t something we run away from”

Uh, I’d hope not Tomlin.

I caught that too. The way he worded it. In other words "I take responsibility but the players didn't execute." Hes been throwing everyone under the bus in the media since the Cincy game.

Reactions: lastcupever75

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
If you think Justin Herbert is at all the problem for the Chargers then you aren’t watching the games…and I’m guessing you aren’t

It's also normal for teams and players to struggle throughout the season. Can't be perfect all the time. Herbert is progressing very well, hes a star in my book.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Going for two point conversion, making it, HOLDING call, 10 yd penalty, AND STILL going for the 2-pt conversion... wtf was calling those plays? They forfeited more points than attained with their tricking-nobody-but-themselves tricky sneaky plays and poor decisions.

They played the Browns. Despite what people want to fool themselves into thinking, the Browns are the Browns.

They couldn’t even beat a team missing their kicker in a tight game… or even put the Steelers in a position to regret it.

I caught that too. The way he worded it. In other words "I take responsibility but the players didn't execute." Hes been throwing everyone under the bus in the media since the Cincy game.

More than ever, ppl are starting to catch onto his act, so he’s becoming more passive aggressive to cover his tracks.

It’s not about a lack of execution if the other team is alert and reads the fake FG. The design is set for your kicker to make a relatively easy throw, not run for his life and morph into Brett Favre.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad