The Pittsburgher Thread - Mr Big Chest: The Final Chapter Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Here's video of the whole NFL network 'story' on the Steelers in free agency . . . :laugh:

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
That basically sums up the steelers free agency in a nut shell every yr.

Its aggravating.

By the way looks like Suggs is going back home to Arizona.

Apparently that's where former AFC North star outside linebackers go before retiring.

BTW, I have no problem with the Steelers staying out of the stupid money stuff IF they're looking 3 of the 5-6M guys to fill a couple of voids.
EDIT: And NFL network saying Kwon Alexander 4 years, 54M in SF. :popcorn:

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Chuck Knoll and the Chief didn’t like free agents 50 years ago. sooo we will stay away from any respectable free agent.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
Apparently that's where former AFC North star outside linebackers go before retiring.

BTW, I have no problem with the Steelers staying out of the stupid money stuff IF they're looking 3 of the 5-6M guys to fill a couple of voids.
EDIT: And NFL network saying Kwon Alexander 4 years, 54M in SF. :popcorn:

With the big name free agents it all depends on how the would in theory fit.

I wanted Collins but hes a thumper and for 14 mil nah.... we got enough of that.

But if we could get someone like Matheiu and Thomas (younger) who can hit well enough AND ballhawk....

I'd dump Dupree and use the 9 mil and add an extra 4 mil to sign them at 13. Without hesitation.

Cant believe Kwon got 13.5 yeesh.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Shocker, the Steelers don’t seem to be in on any big name free agents thus far.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
With the big name free agents it all depends on how the would in theory fit.

I wanted Collins but hes a thumper and for 14 mil nah.... we got enough of that.

But if we could get someone like Matheiu and Thomas (younger) who can hit well enough AND ballhawk....

I'd dump Dupree and use the 9 mil and add an extra 4 mil to sign them at 13. Without hesitation.

Cant believe Kwon got 13.5 yeesh.

That's why I'm waiting to see what happens after the 24 hours of crazy. There will be legit put up or shut up option of upgrades making in the 5-8M or so range, and lack of cap space for once isn't an issue.

Reactions: TNT87

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
Steelers gonna Steeler...

There’s no “splash” to be made for this team because they’ve already sunk underwater. As much as I’d love to see them just ball out next season and make another SB run to rub it in the faces of Bell and Brown, I see them doing literally nothing in free agency, swinging and missing in the draft, and bumbling and stinking their way to a .500 or slightly below finish to next season, because that’s what the Steelers do.

Remember, Mike Tomlin is still the coach...

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
Chiefs on defense are so confusing

They have probably the best safety duo in the league now.

But released Houston and are gonna lose Dee Ford, so their pass rush is gonna take a hit.

Reactions: KIRK

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Chiefs on defense are so confusing

They have probably the best safety duo in the league now.

But released Houston and are gonna lose Dee Ford, so their pass rush is gonna take a hit.

Really wish the Steelers would release Dupree and make a run at Houston. He and Watt would make a formidable pair coming off the edges.

He won’t come cheap, but he has a couple years left of double digit sacks left in him still.

Reactions: KIRK and Andy99

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Really wish the Steelers would release Dupree and make a run at Houston. He and Watt would make a formidable pair coming off the edges.

He won’t come cheap, but he has a couple years left of double digit sacks left in him still.

They could structure a deal so that the cap hit would be no more than Dupree's cap hit.

It's just pathetic. Over 9M allotted to that slug.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

giphy.gif

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
They could structure a deal so that the cap hit would be no more than Dupree's cap hit.

It's just pathetic. Over 9M allotted to that slug.

Steelers can free up enough money to sign whomever they please.

It’s them being willing to do it that’s the issue.

You want a playmaker?

There he is.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Steelers can free up enough money to sign whomever they please.

It’s them being willing to do it that’s the issue.

You want a playmaker?

There he is.

As discussed, release Dupree and Burnett and restructure Ben's deal, and there's around 25-30M they COULD be working with. They COULD do a lot more than 1 playmaker. Heck, they COULD get Houston and then STILL grab Roby at CB and Brown at WR. Then, Colbert COULD trade up at the draft nd grab his ILB.

But, in the real world, the only thing that seems moderately possible are the moves for Brown and the trade up. Colbert doesn't have the balls to go big on defense (and by BIG I don't mean today's stupid money crap).

Reactions: Andy99

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013

Hey I'm all for it.

Again take Duprees 9 mil add 5ish to that sign Houston. 14 mil should get it done. Maybe a mil more. But worth it in my eyes.

That fixes our edges.

Dump Burnett and you got that 5 mil and we are right back at 12 mil before the Ben resign...

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Hey I'm all for it.

Again take Duprees 9 mil add 5ish to that sign Houston. 14 mil should get it done. Maybe a mil more. But worth it in my eyes.

That fixes our edges.

Dump Burnett and you got that 5 mil and we are right back at 12 mil before the Ben resign...

I'd think Ben's deal will be structured to create additional cap space (or at least not to deplete the cap space further).

I also think you can structure Houston's cap hit to something under 14M.

Yes, a bit of a day of cap reckoning will come the day Ben retires, but they're kind of screwed then anyway and until then could do a lot with the cap space they've got and could create.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
As discussed, release Dupree and Burnett and restructure Ben's deal, and there's around 25-30M they COULD be working with. They COULD do a lot more than 1 playmaker. Heck, they COULD get Houston and then STILL grab Roby at CB and Brown at WR. Then, Colbert COULD trade up at the draft nd grab his ILB.

But, in the real world, the only thing that seems moderately possible are the moves for Brown and the trade up. Colbert doesn't have the balls to go big on defense (and by BIG I don't mean today's stupid money crap).

Steelers FA playbook:
1. Sign a middling player after the good players are gone
2. Pretend that you got a steal of an underrated playmaker that no one noticed
3. Watch the player get injured and/or perform average on the field
4. Cut the player or bench him
5. Pretend like it just wasn’t a fit or he actually played better than we all think here

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Steelers FA playbook:
1. Sign a middling player after the good players are gone
2. Pretend that you got a steal of an underrated playmaker that no one noticed
3. Watch the player get injured and/or perform average on the field
4. Cut the player or bench him
5. Pretend like it just wasn’t a fit or he actually played better than we all think here

For sure.

And BTW, I know a guy like Houston is a pipe dream.

But, a John Brown? A Roby? The Steelers could make those two moves happen just with their available space. Then you can move Burnett and Dupree for space for a LB and then use the draft for the other.

It is possible to not engage in the first day lunacy while at the same time aiming a little higher than middling players.

EDIT: Of course they haven't done that at the opening week or so of free agency since Bill Cowher was de facto GM.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Hey I'm all for it.

That fixes our edges.

Ya like I said cap space isn’t the issue, the Steelers being the Steelers is the issue.

When a guy like Houston is suddenly on the market where you desperately need help, you thank whatever god you pray to and go hard after him.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
Kareem Jackson - Broncos 33 over 3

LaMarcus Joyner - Raiders 4 yr deal money not said yet.

Earl Thomas reportedly now wants 15 as Collins and Matheiu both got 14.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad